The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The drone business idea.

Idea threads

Kamil Jurgiel

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2024
Hey everyone,

I have a really interesting idea to share with you today.

Lately, I've noticed that the drone industry is really booming. The prices of these machines are dropping, and the quality keeps getting better. I have an idea on how we can fully capitalize on this trend.

My concept involves starting a partnership with a promising company from the USA or China. I'd like my company to promote and coordinate the sales of products from these small manufacturers. I see a huge opportunity for success, especially since I'm from a country in Europe where drones are still relatively new. I believe that promoting high-quality equipment through us could be very well-received.

So what do you think? Do you think it's a good idea? I'm eager to hear your opinions and suggestions.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
That's such a lazy approach to a revolutionary technology. Sure, it's theoretically possible to find a manufacturer and take over sales for them, but do you have the knowledge and budget to complete with DJI? Otherwise, you're looking at crappy supermarket drones that can fly 50 meters/not many feet.

Instead, I'd explore the full range of popular brands like DJI drones. For example, their agriculture line is a massive opportunity. Become the leading distributor of that in a specific area - sell them, rent them, offer them as a service, sell training, sell parts.

In my country, there's just 1 company selling agricultural DJI drones (likely an exclusive agreement). If in my country agriculture generates a few billion a year (with only 2M population), it's definitely a unique opportunity with huge potential. That's just one example, drones have more uses.

If I didn't have 1000 other projects, I'd do this.

Kamil Jurgiel

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2024
At first, yes, but over time, manufacturing our own equipment becomes a good option. Ideally, I would start my own production right away, but I don't yet have a concrete idea of how to do it. For now, I'm thinking of gathering a few drone enthusiasts, maybe students, and creating a new project with them.
duce them or resell?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Kamil Jurgiel

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2024
That's such a lazy approach to a revolutionary technology. Sure, it's theoretically possible to find a manufacturer and take over sales for them, but do you have the knowledge and budget to complete with DJI? Otherwise, you're looking at crappy supermarket drones that can fly 50 meters/not many feet.

Instead, I'd explore the full range of popular brands like DJI drones. For example, their agriculture line is a massive opportunity. Become the leading distributor of that in a specific area - sell them, rent them, offer them as a service, sell training, sell parts.

In my country, there's just 1 company selling agricultural DJI drones (likely an exclusive agreement). If in my country agriculture generates a few billion a year (with only 2M population), it's definitely a unique opportunity with huge potential. That's just one example, drones have more uses.

Finding a manufacturer is indeed the weakest and most challenging part of the idea.

Kamil Jurgiel

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2024

Finding a manufacturer is indeed the weakest and most challenging part of the idea.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
For the beginning, yes, but later on, starting our own production would be a great idea.
Many niche services can be provided. While anyone can buy drones from China it is not cost effective to send the drones to China for repair and service.

Kamil Jurgiel

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2024
Many niche services can be provided. While anyone can buy drones from China it is not cost effective to send the drones to China for repair and service.

You're right, but the main idea behind the project is advertising and promoting one or several smaller companies, not necessarily from China. 99% of people don't know any other drone manufacturer besides DJI, so if we could create awareness that other companies also exist and don't produce cheap and inferior products, surely some people would consider buying from them.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
You're right, but the main idea behind the project is advertising and promoting one or several smaller companies, not necessarily from China. 99% of people don't know any other drone manufacturer besides DJI, so if we could create awareness that other companies also exist and don't produce cheap and inferior products, surely some people would consider buying from them.
I own a DJI drone. I knew nothing about drones and went for DJI. Why? Because it's the most popular, versatile, highest-rated drone brand.

I generally support big ambitions but it just doesn't seem realistic to compete with them. Those who buy cheap drones have endless options. Those who are looking for quality are not looking for the best deal but the best drone for their needs, so they are unlikely to pick an unknown brand with seemingly the same capabilities even if it's cheaper.

DJI also has a huge selection of upgrades and parts from non-DJI-affiliated brands, maybe that's something you could consider. Sell parts and upgrades? Either retail from an established manufacturer or produce your part. Creating a new kind of propeller seems more viable than a drone.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
I feel your idea can theoretically work, but it's such a wide space that it feels like you're taking the most difficult approach to getting into the drone industry.

100% this.

I've wanted to get into drones for so long, if nothing other than for the fact they're cool af. But even with how massive the industry has become over the last handful of years, there's still a ton of room for innovation, improvement, and outright content.

I know a guy that runs a small marketing company in my area. All he does is use drones to capture video/pictures to use for the Google Street Tour thing for businesses. I don't know the specific numbers behind what he does, but I know it's a 7 figure business. There are so many use applications for drones, spread across literally every other industry. I firmly believe drones have next to 0 ceiling.

This is one of the few industries I'd still encourage someone to start a blog in, lmfao, even in 2024.

/rant over.

Cheers.

Kamil Jurgiel

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2024
I own a DJI drone. I knew nothing about drones and went for DJI. Why? Because it's the most popular, versatile, highest-rated drone brand.

I generally support big ambitions but it just doesn't seem realistic to compete with them. Those who buy cheap drones have endless options. Those who are looking for quality are not looking for the best deal but the best drone for their needs, so they are unlikely to pick an unknown brand with seemingly the same capabilities even if it's cheaper.

DJI also has a huge selection of upgrades and parts from non-DJI-affiliated brands, maybe that's something you could consider. Sell parts and upgrades? Either retail from an established manufacturer or produce your part. Creating a new kind of propeller seems more viable than a drone.
It is also an idea thx

Kamil Jurgiel

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2024
I feel your idea can theoretically work, but it's such a wide space that it feels like you're taking the most difficult approach to getting into the drone industry.

100% this.

I've wanted to get into drones for so long, if nothing other than for the fact they're cool af. But even with how massive the industry has become over the last handful of years, there's still a ton of room for innovation, improvement, and outright content.

I know a guy that runs a small marketing company in my area. All he does is use drones to capture video/pictures to use for the Google Street Tour thing for businesses. I don't know the specific numbers behind what he does, but I know it's a 7 figure business. There are so many use applications for drones, spread across literally every other industry. I firmly believe drones have next to 0 ceiling.

This is one of the few industries I'd still encourage someone to start a blog in, lmfao, even in 2024.

/rant over.

Cheers.
Do you have any links to his company's website or something to learn more about it?

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 26, 2023

DJI is a Chinese company and can be easily challenged on price points because they attract 25%-30% custom/Import duty/taxes. The local manufacture will always have a massive advantage!

That's the easiest part. The hardest part is developing your prototype, followed by Branding and Marketing!

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
DJI is a Chinese company and can be easily challenged on price points because they attract 25%-30% custom/Import duty/taxes. The local manufacture will always have a massive advantage!

That's the easiest part. The hardest part is developing your prototype, followed by Branding and Marketing!
My point was (subjective, of course) I wouldn't buy something that is a 1:1 match to DJI with a different name for 25-30% cheaper.

As I said before, with a $100 budget for a drone you're looking at the best you can get for $100. Brand doesn't matter, whichever flies further works.

With a budget of $1000 or more, I'd get what's known as the leader in the industry rather than hope that the 30% cheaper competitor is just as good.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 26, 2023
My point was (subjective, of course) I wouldn't buy something that is a 1:1 match to DJI with a different name for 25-30% cheaper.

As I said before, with a $100 budget for a drone you're looking at the best you can get for $100. Brand doesn't matter, whichever flies further works.

With a budget of $1000 or more, I'd get what's known as the leader in the industry rather than hope that the 30% cheaper competitor is just as good.

The local manufacturer will often beat the imported "leader" on any given day regarding after-sales service/repair/ upgrade! And, this is not limited to the drone industry.

Reliability and low-cost maintenance always win in the long run!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.