The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The business of Air Conditioning

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Hi,
In Germany air condition is not common. Not very many private houses have one.
I m thinking about selling and install so called split climas, assembled ready to installed.
A simple hp with only a few different kinds.

- i think, the warmer the sumers get, the more people want one. Also you can heat with them in winter.
- for dealing with that gas used in it, you have to get a training with exam. So intrance is not too easy
- scaleing is difficult without loosing control. What prevents a contractor to do it on his own, when i let him do the training?

Does this sound like a good idea, which could be scaled?

What i think about, too: with this I could help a lot of friends: either in helping them to get a job, or to get them a affordable air conditioning.

I ask for your opinions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Do people want air conditioning in Germany? I remember when I went to Frankfurt years ago, I walked into large, very nice buildings (bank buildings and the like) and they weren't air conditioned. Or at least they weren't to the standards here in the US. I asked someone I met and he said that people there don't like going in and out of cold temperatures back into hot temperatures. They think that makes them sick.

I know nothing more about German culture surrounding air conditioning, and even that knowledge is 30 years old.

But - there's a reason why people don't have it there. I doubt its about cost. Germany has the money. I'd first figure out how to overcome people's objections to it.

If it is about cold temperatures and the belief that they make you sick, maybe you could market a 'filtered air conditioner - designed to keep you comfortable AND reduce your chance of getting a cold.'

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Do people want air conditioning in Germany? I remember when I went to Frankfurt years ago, I walked into large, very nice buildings (bank buildings and the like) and they weren't air conditioned. Or at least they weren't to the standards here in the US. I asked someone I met and he said that people there don't like going in and out of cold temperatures back into hot temperatures. They think that makes them sick.

I know nothing more about German culture surrounding air conditioning, and even that knowledge is 30 years old.

But - there's a reason why people don't have it there. I doubt its about cost. Germany has the money. I'd first figure out how to overcome people's objections to it.

If it is about cold temperatures and the belief that they make you sick, maybe you could market a 'filtered air conditioner - designed to keep you comfortable AND reduce your chance of getting a cold.'
When I talked to several people, I often heard, when the asked a company for a ac offer, they were put off or had no repy either. Therefor I think, there are people, who want it. But it could be more money in companys, which want one than in privates.

Thanks

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
After due diligence Due to Germany´regulations I decided not to do it.

JohanXV

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 26, 2020
I also know that there is special equipment that allows you to replace the air conditioner. In general, Germans are efficient, and they weigh all the pros and cons before buying something. In our zone, we more often resort to the installation of air conditioners because we have warm weather all year round. But for those who install air conditioners in their houses for continuous use, it is necessary to maintain these systems annually. Therefore, people usually hire companies that provide Cleaning & checking air filters permanently. So to breathe fresh air and instantly eliminates breakdown if something breaks.

Last edited:

sit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Dec 13, 2011
I had an offer to install 1 AC unit in a bedroom.

It was 5k EUR (1k for the unit and 4k for work and materials)... the profit margins seem to be great in Germany, not many firms that install AC units.

Last edited:

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I installed one in my house 2 years ago. Its easy. Special is only the Vakuum pump.
400€ parts, 2 hours of work.

But you aren’t allowed to do it without a 1000-3000€ course, which you are only allowed to do, when you learned the gas, water, shit busines fromscratch for 3,5 years.

Thats Germany.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Sometimes an employee will go out on their own but I don't see that as a common occurrence. Perhaps it is not common there now but it may become.

I grew up in San Diego which is known for its temperate climate. I did not have an air conditioner in any house I lived in for over 40 years. Now I wont live without one. It is a trend now for almost all houses to have one there.

Things change.

It sounds like there is some demand and it is possible that demand will increase.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.