The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The beautiful roses and the raging river...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wantrepreneur: I'd like to pick the beautiful blooming roses across the raging river. Can you help me?

MJ: Sure, what advice do you need?

Wantrepreneur: Give me the roses.

MJ: Huh?

Wantrepreneur: Just give me the roses.

MJ: But how will that teach you how to get across the river?

Wantrepreneur: I don't care about the river, I just want the roses. I like the smell, their look, everything about them!

MJ: But if you want the roses you're going to need to learn how to cross the river yourself. I can give you the bluepint for building a boat, but you're going to need tools: Hammers, wood, nails and some other things so you can build a boat. It can take you a while to find this things and learn to use them, but trust me, the roses are incredible! A journey far worth the effort.

Wantrepreneur: Tools? Boat? I don't want to build a boat with those tools. How about this ice cream cone that I'm eating? It taste so good. Can I use that somehow to cross the river?

MJ: Huh? What does your ice cream cone have to do with the river? The problem you have is raging in front of you.

Wantrepreneur: Mmmm but this ice cream cone is so yummy.

MJ: {furrows brow}

Wantrepreneur: So... when can I get those roses?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Real entrepreneurs scratch, crawl, and fight their way across the river. Some do it for the thrill of the voyage. Some do it for the prize. Some do it because they burned all hope of returning to the shore. Some get across on a raft you might not consider sea worthy, but they make it by having the courage to throw off the bowlines and set sail. When I first started, I had no idea how to swim. I taught myself. Then, I had to learn how to build a boat. I taught myself. There was nobody there to help me.

Some people will forever stand on the banks, look across the river, and wish they were lucky enough to find a way across.

My first several boats sunk. One boat actually reached the other shore, only to pop a leak at the last second. And now? After trying, and failing, and trying, and failing, I have finally learned how to get across the water. My ragged, old body has reached the other shoreline, and I am on the final few steps as I trudge up the beach. The roses are within reach.

Interestingly enough, I collected a number of roses along the way, not all of which were of material wealth value. I used some of those roses on this final journey to plug some holes in my boat.

The final storming of the beach will be chronicled for the forum members and others in the near future.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Valid questions are hard to ask, because the answer is usually a short answer then "go and do it".
The wantreprenuer is like "I just spent so long on that question and now... its gone"

They immediately retort "oh no! I suck again"
So they try to extend the conversation into foreplay, preferably with a little groaning, and maybe a bit of "yeah that IS impossible" thrown in.

Problem is, you can't give wantreprenuers the answers, they have to listen deeper and longer, and extrapolate, test, and explore.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Some may have a different view on this but I feel that after you've finally gotten to the roses on the other side of the river, it hits you that the process of finding the tools and building the boat was the most fun part of it all.

Don't get me wrong, I like the roses...but that feeling of testing the market for validation, advertising what you've got, trying to build a following, etc...it's super fun.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
gq2Oysb.png

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
And that, in and of itself is the ultimate goal?

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
My rant was too long so put it in a quote

Just for all the wantreprenuers out there I wanna say that not all wantreprenuers are created equal. And the main cause for this is the angle we approach business from.
Yes, some wantreprenuers are obnoxious, not motivated, and are going to lose interest quickly after some weak attempts at pulling your leg. But other wantrepreneuers may just be genuinely confused, in distress, motivated, and willing to emotionally manage themselves, and try to limit how stupidly they deal with things.

When I approached business at 18 I was a completely helpless and unable to be helped wantreprenuer, I wasn't a stupid person, I just didn't really have much chance to get traction. So I bet if I came in here I would have just been annoying due to not taking anything seriously.

When I tried a second time, I wasn't going to give up, so beared and grinned my way through my irrational needs, trying to contain all my doubts and to focus on the bigger picture, and worked constantly as much as I could. If a person was brave they could call me all kinds of stuff for that, good for them.

The arguement shouldn't center around whether or not wantreprenuers deserve your attention, because those who are wealthy have no actual obligation to those seeking to be, it should center around clarifying that a person has to be ready, and that if they are ready, they'll chill out rather than go off the rails.
Which, for the most part, it does.

The problem isn't in that system, it is that so many people fail to "care" about that system, and instead want to install their own.
And I feel that it occurs because the nature of business (or the mind) is initially ambiguous, and the person feels isolated and unable to reach clarity.

They then falsely assume creating their own clarity, relates to clarity for others. Which is false.
You clarity only influences a certain amount of people, and within that group you will find that there are those who climb the ladder and those who act annoyingly.

I feel for the guys that get the crap, as it is difficult to address wantreprenuers properly and they are often ungrateful, distant, and melancholic. Its not the nicest thing to be around and reminds you of failure when you wanna strive to greater heights and succeed more.

But I also feel for wantreprenuers, in that, whilst demands are ludicrous towards mentors etc, it is a reflection of the ambiguity they are attempting to battle.

As a mentor, take it as a compliment, that you really have come a long way, to get away from your own wantreprenuer.
And don't feel too obligated to react to wantreprenuers, because if they are to succeed, they have to be ready enough.
The journey for them is going to be abrasive, so you can't really blame them for SOMETIMES not being able to contain it, even though it may cr#p over what you are trying to do.

Anyways, wantreprenuers really do appreciate guys who hang around to help. But yeah, don't let em get too close, let them have some space to catch their own errors. And let em look forward to things.

It is hard to pin down a great solution to the problem.
But luckily you get to live the good life and don't have to worry yourself about it too much.
Wantreprenuers will always welcome you to have a wrestle in the pig pen,
But thats cuz they'll enjoy it, not because its necessarily "right" (how can anyone say what is right when it is clearly ambiguous and that there is clearly a good solution that is commonly attained?).

So yeah,
As kind of a wantreprenuer, I'll be the first to put my hand up and say "please forgive my shit, I dunno what I'm doin, and rely on some help to clear my view and reduce the burden of my inner accidental #sshole".

Help when you want to, not because you feel you need to.
Don't buy into our sh#t, because we'd all rather you be fresh and unstressed, and give when in a generous mood, as that is when you create awesome stuff (irritated stuff is great too, really cuts to the bone, but sometimes it makes the inner #sshole, try to leap frog and compare member sizes)

Keep it light and precise.
And as far as I'm concerned, anyone who argues with you is just making a fool of themselves.
And hopefully they find the strength one day, to not give you cr#p because that is the same strength they need to succeed.

Hopefully all wantreprenuers can find the strength, to not give you cr#p or try to one up you because that is the same strength they need to succeed.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
This is a really great analogy. Especially given the disdain the forum has for people standing on the bank eating ice cream, who are asking the people mid-stream (who are thrashing, kicking, swimming, paddling) "Hey, uh, when you get over there will you come back and give me some?" or "hey, can I waste 30 minutes of your time?"

G

GuestUser113

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. Steve Jobs

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
Real entrepreneurs scratch, crawl, and fight their way across the river. Some do it for the thrill of the voyage. Some do it for the prize. Some do it because they burned all hope of returning to the shore. Some get across on a raft you might not consider sea worthy, but they make it by having the courage to throw off the bowlines and set sail. When I first started, I had no idea how to swim. I taught myself. Then, I had to learn how to build a boat. I taught myself. There was nobody there to help me.

Some people will forever stand on the banks, look across the river, and wish they were lucky enough to find a way across.

My first several boats sunk. One boat actually reached the other shore, only to pop a leak at the last second. And now? After trying, and failing, and trying, and failing, I have finally learned how to get across the water. My ragged, old body has reached the other shoreline, and I am on the final few steps as I trudge up the beach. The roses are within reach.

Interestingly enough, I collected a number of roses along the way, not all of which were of material wealth value. I used some of those roses on this final journey to plug some holes in my boat.

The final storming of the beach will be chronicled for the forum members and others in the near future.
the-storms-come-and-go.jpg

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
The reason why just about anyone would like to be rich, but very few actually achieve it.

Wanting something is one thing. Being willing to put your hard work, blood, sweat and tears into making it happen is another.

IntrinsicValue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jun 21, 2015
Wantrepreneur: I'd like to pick the beautiful blooming roses across the raging river. Can you help me?

Wantrepreneur: I don't care about the river, I just want the roses. I like the smell, their look, everything about them!

MJ: But if you want the roses you're going to need to learn how to cross the river yourself. I can give you the bluepint for building a boat, but you're going to need tools: Hammers, wood, nails and some other things so you can build a boat. It can take you a while to find this things and learn to use them, but trust me, the roses are incredible! A journey far worth the effort.

Wantrepreneur: Tools? Boat? I don't want to build a boat with those tools. How about this ice cream cone that I'm eating? It taste so good. Can I use that somehow to cross the river?

MJ: Huh? What does your ice cream cone have to do with the river? The problem you have is raging in front of you.

Wantrepreneur: Hey can I get some roses?

Me: uh, how about i give you a diagram to build a goat and get as many roses as you many?!

Wantrepreneur: NO I WANT ROSES!

Me: Okay :) I'll lend you a boat to cross the river. And for every 10 roses you bring me, ill let you keep 1! That means you can have 10 roses to yourself in no time if you work hard! Don't forget to tell your friends about my awesome deal! For every 10 friends I higher from you, Ill give you an extra rose :DDD. (Thatt day i open a rose store along with a website and sell my rose franchise).

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia

"Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus".
(Umberto Eco)

Wantrepreneur, in its request 'as if to The primitive rose that exists only in name or in his imagination.

A goal, as proposed, in fact unreachable ..... and therefore exists only in name ... the bare name.

He wants to be the owner's name and not the real flower .... because he knows that he could never put the seeds into the soil, watering and control the growth of the plant, protect it until its flowering.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
This analogy reminds me of a lady who I once helped published a book to the Kindle/Createspace store. She isn't very well-educated, but she seemed to have a lot of determination (at least enough to actually finish writing a book!), so I thought it would be worth my time to help her.

She wrote one book, and I taught her how to type it up into a Word document so I could more easily get it uploaded and formatted for the publishing platform.

She wrote a second book, and I told her that this time I wanted to teach her how to do it, since she was planning on writing more books, and I wasn't planning on having time to help her with this a third time.

She agreed to come over and watch me do it so I could walk her through it. She never came over. I eventually just did it for her, and told her I wouldn't be helping her again because she wasn't interested in learning.

She wrote the third book. I refused to help her publish it, and she left me mean messages about how I never helped her.

SMDH.

People want things freaking handed to them on a platter and most people aren't willing to put more than two days worth of effort into things. This lady had more gumption than most, I guess, since she actually did completely write more than a couple of books, but she was never willing to actually execute a plan to sell them, or learn how to publish them herself.

(It also made me regret having ever helped her)

Gareth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Nov 25, 2016
Waitrepreneur: Perhaps if I stand by the river someone with a boat will come by and I can get them to carry me across.

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
Waitrepreneur: Perhaps if I stand by the river someone with a boat will come by and I can get them to carry me across.

Perhaps.....
Maybe.....
Probably.....

a really nice sound !!!

..... If you get the boat with a Fastlaner inside:
- Or he will throw a fake coin on the hat you've backed ground
- Or he will make you an invoice for the transport service with a price GOLD INSIDERS that you can not afford

If someone else goes:
- Picks you up as a hitchhiker
- And then you cut into small pieces

Dear friend waits and hopes!!!!! ..... but I like the "feel" ..... that the BOAT is better to build it BY YOURSELF !!!!

Last edited:

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
"You've got to do it by yourself, and you can't do it alone." - Martin Rutte

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.