The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Barter Game, You In?

Is there enough interest to keep the Barter Game going?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Ok guys, I've seen this thread a few times and it never seems to get rolling. So I thought, why not make a game of it?

My proposal is that we play a game where we barter for items. The purpose is to learn how to trade something that is not as valuable to you, for something you do value. This is not to say that we try to pass off junk; merely that you negotiate and give away a less cherished commodity for something that is beneficial. This relies on the principle of “One person's junk is another person’s treasure” or a White Elephant exchange.

For example, one person may have 20 items of the same type, and would gladly part with one if it were traded for a rare stamp or collectable.

Goal:

Your goal is to determine a REALISTIC market value of your item and then trade it until you achieve something that is commonly accepted to be 3 x that original value.

Negotiation:

One item of fairly low value will start the process. Other players can offer trades which will be accepted or rejected. The first round of trading will end on the Monday at 10 pm Central time. Until that Deadline, offers and counter offers can be made by any player. One rule, no side deals. The idea is to have ONE negotiation evolve. A new trade will begin on Tuesday. Rules Change: refer to permalink #37 and bottom of this post.
Additional Note: MONEY is not to be included in negotiations in order to raise or match the value of an item. This is an item to item(s) barter. (This rule does not apply to exchanging rare coins as a barter item).

Players:

Open to Forum Members only and those who have at least 10MPH in rep points. This will help to curtail Spammers from jumping in just to push a product.

Shipping:

Let’s keep this reasonable, shipping is not to exceed %15 of the item’s value unless agreed upon by the shipper. The one sending out the trade pays for shipping as that cost should be included in the barter. All items should be sent within 3 business days of the agreement. Addresses SHOULD NOT be posted! All shipping arrangements should be done through PM or Email only and upon the bid deadline.

Be Honest:

Don’t try to trade a Rookie Baseball card if you found it lodged in your sofa from 20 years ago (ripped and dirty). Make sure the condition of the item reflects the negotiated value. You may ask, “Why use real items if it’s a game?” The reason is that I’ve seen other exercises fall by the wayside. I think if the goal is to obtain something tangible, the motivation to participate will persist. That being said, let’s remember that is a game/exercise. Try to keep final trade values under $125.

Purpose:

This exercise is meant to get people thinking outside the box. As in the games Monopoly or Cash Flow, being savvy in negotiations helps one achieve their goals quickly. If these principles are learned on a small scale, they might be applied to real life deals. It may also change your perspective and help you realize that you are not always as limited as you may think. Money is a tool used for purchasing, but there are other tools that can be used as well (partnerships, exchange of services, advertising, etc.). It will also help some of us realize that at times, action is needed in order to facilitate change. In other words, you might see that it isn’t really that hard to get started on new projects.

Description of Items:

A picture of the item should be posted or made available via link when possible.
Provide a brief written description that includes its merits and detractors.
Include what you estimate its monetary value to be. This will allow you to set a goal in the end. RULE CHANGE: A monetary value does not need to be stated. Barter at your own risk. Still try to keep the price within $125.

Above All: THIS IS A GAME/ Exercise

Do NOT Offer an Item that you will regret giving away later. If you receive an item that you are not happy with, realize that is a risk of the game. I trust this community enough that I don’t think there would be an issue, but if there is, try to work it out in a peaceful and fair manner. This may include exchanging the items back. Hopefully, this will not be necessary.

BARTER # 1

In the spirit of starting the game, I will offer a novelty item.

This is a magic trick called The Street Hot Rod (new in package).

It’s retail value is between $10 and $15, so I will settle on $12.

Description: This is a beginning magic trick that can is easily performed with some practice. It is an instant success with kids and is carried on person. Apart from kids, it is a good ice breaker at parties, dinners, and can even win some bar bets.

The negative part is that it is a prop and must be handled properly to prevent disclosure.
The positive is that the user will gain knowledge that can be applied to other similar props and will learn at least one new skill. It will also help people remember you when you when you first meet (use discretion though).

Street HotRod

I know it's kind of silly gag gift item, but I'm trying to make this somewhat fun. Besides it's only the first one. Who would like to offer a trade?

RULES CHANGE: REFER TO PERMALINK #37
****************************************************************************************************

LIST OF ITEMS:

Jonleehacker: 21 Domain Names Refer to Permalink #4

Fanocks2003: two tickets to a Christopher Howard event (NLP event/seminar) in Sydney, Australia in September 2009 Permalink #16

AroundTheWorld: small box of books, dog,raw wool( black), 4 jars of canned Flathead cherries, sheep, hand knitted dish rags. (you choose the colors. yellow. green. white. blue) Refer to Permalink #35

Rcardin: Amateur Video of Curt Cobain and Nirvana Playing Tree's on Deep Ellum in Dallas rerer to permalink #36

Sparlin: one unpopular magic trick. Refer to entire thread :)

Qwerety: Pampered Chef Cookie Press (New) Refer to permalink #41

RealOG:2 DVDs, 6 Back issues of Architectual Digest refer to permalink #44

Sparlin: North American Coins refer to permalink #47

Sparlin: New BICYCLE Playing Cards (Black Deck) refer to permalink #47

Kurtyordy: 10 strawberry plants. Refer to permalink #55.

Sparlin: Spinbank refer to permalink #63

Sparlin: Levitron OMEGA (New/Unwrapped in box) refer to permalink #63

Phgirl: 1 lb bag of La Colombe Coffee, 6 Philly Soft Pretzels, 4 oz bag of Japanese Green loose tea. Refer to permalink #70

^Eagle^: Inflatable Pumpkin with Pepsi Emblem. Inflatable Pepsi Bottle. Refer to Permalink #74

Anyone interested in trading or listing items, go for it. Just post your name, the item description and a pic (if you have one). You can offer anything legal (except for cash) in exchange for a listed item. Good Luck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump!

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I'd be in for something like this...

ala oneredpaperclip

sounds fun.

Will have to think about what I would like to get rid of... and what I would like to aim for ;)

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I grabbed a batch of my keyword domains that I'd be willing to swap for ???

SecurityDVRSystems.com
HouseRentalEdmonton.com
WheatFreeGlutenFree.com
RetiredPoliceJobs.com
WebHostingPHP.com
WeightedGolfClub.com
SeniorHousingChicago.Com
DepressionAlternative.com
AutoGTA.com (as in Grand Theft Auto)
MonitoringComputer.com
EffectiveRelationships.com
BusinessCompetitive.com
NaturalDietFoods.com
GetFreeInsurance.com
AudioTitle.com
ChicagoIncomeTax.com
GiveHerPleasure.com
HeartburnReflux.com
PracticalOutsourcing.com
TRADINGFOREXSTRATEGY.COM
HDTVPro.NET

A lot of these where purchased with the intention of using for Keyword Sniping, but now I doubt that I will ever get to them. The values would vary name to name, but make an offer, I am open.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
very cool.... in exchange for.... ? ;)

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Great! I just saw that MJ cleared this.

One Red Paperclip, No wonder. I was Googling Red Button. Of course I didn't find anything, but I think the C.I.A. might want to know why I was interested in pushing red buttons. Oh well.

Ok... Let's see if we can make this work.

I have one Magic Trick up for grabs, with it, you will amaze your peers, you could win bets, you will have pot heads run away from you screaming, "You're the Devil" (true story) ....

Kids love it. You'll also learn something about how trusting/ gullible people can be... Plus, its fun :) (I should clarify... don't take advantage of people, but it may help you realize how vulnerable you are in certain areas).

Alright guys, make me an offer for that item. As trades continue, new items will be introduced by various players (keep these in the back of your mind for future trades).... Ok... Cheap magic trick, yes...but what will you give me for it?

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I see 2 potential flaws in your idea, not to be a negative nancy, just curious how to improve.

If your item is $12, why would I trade you a $15 item if the goal is to move up? One person each trade needs to be willing to step down for anyone to win, a bit like NM if you ask me. It may be better to just post the name, condition, and pic and let the traders evaluate the worth on their own. So in your case, I may have found the trick online for $15, so I would trade you my $14 widget thinking I winning in the trade. You would think you were winning because you know you got it for $10. So on and so forth.

Transparancy creates either unwillingness to traid, or willing sacrificial traders.

Just my $0.02.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
You make good points. What I am trying to do is trade intrinsic for sentimental value (something I want). Assigning a monetary value just keeps the negotiation in the ball park.

An example of differing values would be someone going to watch a movie.
The ticket price is the same for both, but one may Love the movie while the other Hates it. The first guy might have enjoyed enough to go see it again, where the second demands a refund.

The reason I assigned a value is so that I can have a goal. So if my goal is to get something worth 3 x my original, I am wanting something valued at $36. Let's say I get that item, then sale it on Ebay ... then that means I made $36 dollars off of a $12 dollar item.

It's not just monetary value at play here, demand dictates value. A bottle of water is cheap, unless there is only one bottle and 100 people in the desert.

Basically, the goal is to learn how to negotiate and move assets that you have in order to gain something new.

I hope that all makes sense. You're right, I do need to be careful and think this through. Thanks :)

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
yeah, makes sense. I was just pointing out the it is impossible for every participant to meet your goal of tripling the value of what they have. A few however will be able to.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
kurtyordy... you might enjoy the one red paperclip story.

The "fun" is as Sparlin says...

one person's trash is another person's treasure.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Ok, let's see if I can't get this rolling.
Jonlee, you have 21 domain names there.
Would you consider that a fair trade?

If so great, if not what about a counter offer? Or you could pass.

Anyone else?

do you mean 21 domains for the magic trick? I woudn't consider that a fair offer (not even for 1 domain), but I'm also not interested in the magic trick.

I also agree that conversions to or valuations in dollars will only cripple the game. Leave it to the traders to set values in their own minds. As soon as you put a dollar amount on it, then that is all someone will see.

For example if you just had your magic trick, I would have had no idea that it was "valued" at $12 and in my mind I would have thought about the real value of being able to amaze my friends and kids with a cool trick. The latter valuation, in my mind would have been much more than $12 and I may have offered something based on the "coolness" factor.

But when you say it is worth $12, then my offers will be based on that dollar amount, which will really limit the fun and potential profits in the game.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Hmm...I like barters:).

I have two tickets to a Christopher Howard event (NLP event/seminar) in Sydney, Australia in September 2009. According to Christopher Howards own website one ticket is worth (sold for) at least £895. So a total, fair value of £1790 is up for trade.

I think I saw that it said "Try to keep final trade value under $125". Will this be a problem (my value is clearly far above $125)?

Any one want to trade? Open to suggestions:).

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
The point of the monetary value is so you can set a goal. Both you and Kurt are analytical types, so I understand completely where you are comming from. If I get one more person to suggest that I drop the value rule, then I probably will. I can see it as freeing things up a bit. I just didn't want people to get upset for trading for something, then finding it on Ebay at 1/10th the perceived value. Thanks for your thoughts... and will count that as a pass.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Lol.. I figured Fannocks would jump in :) Let's wait and see how this evolves, but for now, will keep your tickets in mind. The issue I see is that we want to keep the playing field somewhat level. In order for someone to offer a trade worthy of the tickets, they would have to find something that you equate as more valuable, probably on an emotional scale. Then again, trips or bottles of wine might find that price range. Thanks for the input, let's see what happens.

I'm also concerned that if items of significant value start trading, people will be upset if the product doesn't meet their standards. It quickly takes the "Fun" out of the game.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I agree w/ the "don't state the value" idea.

No one here is being forced to play... everyone will enter of their own free will.

Find a better deal on e-bay a week later? Oh well. That is part of the game!

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
Yeah, I like values not being mentioned.

I don't have the speed points but I'm def interested in checking this out and seeing how it progresses.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Hey qwerty, I appreciate your interest.

I've thought about this... and let's see if we can reach a resolution.

The rules were set to keep spammers out. However, I've changed one rule to cater to the general consensus. One thing that I do know is that people get upset if you change rules too randomly. Let's see if we can compromise.

You have been here one year already, so surely you've learned something about the Fastlane. Consider this a challenge. Post something on some other thread, that is worthy of 5 reps points. I'm not trying to snub you, rather inspire you to share what you've learned here. If you do that, You can play if you like. Does that seem fair?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Value is in the eye of the beholder.

I had 30 empty plant buckets on the side of my house ready to be thrown in the garbage. I thought I run a little experiment and put the buckets on Craigslist to see if anyone would buy them. I gave it 1 week; after 1 week, I would just throw them in the recycle bin.

Someone bought them for $10 and picked them up over the weekend.

To me, they were worth nothing ... ZERO. To this guy, they were worth $10 bucks, perhaps more. What you value at $10, someone might value at $50.

I tell ya, I've been having a real HOOT with Craigslist and seeing what junk people will buy that I would have just otherwise donated or trashed. It also is fun to test marketing copy and see what garners responses and what doesn't!

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
Hey qwerty, I appreciate your interest.

I've thought about this... and let's see if we can reach a resolution.

The rules were set to keep spammers out. However, I've changed one rule to cater to the general consensus. One thing that I do know is that people get upset if you change rules too randomly. Let's see if we can compromise.

You have been here one year already, so surely you've learned something about the Fastlane. Consider this a challenge. Post something on some other thread, that is worthy of 5 reps points. I'm not trying to snub you, rather inspire you to share what you've learned here. If you do that, You can play if you like. Does that seem fair?
Its no biggie if I'm not in it. I can't even think of anything worthy to trade.
I'm still a noob at all this, but I did post a thread in the currency and stocks section that I think would help lots out. Not my info, but a link to info. I'm still absorbing and don't know enough to give out too much advice compared to others here. Especially since my main focus is currency trading and not general business (online or not) or real estate which most here seem to be into. Its great reading it all anyway.

Still a cool idea. I remember reading that paperclip story a long time ago and I thought that was pretty cool.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Ok Qwerety. I would bet you know more than you realize, but you'll have to determine that.

MJ: Great story :) So what will you offer in order to begin your journey into Magicianhood? lol You got rid of the plant holders and a bath tub, anything else? Surely my trade warrants a Lambo :)

Ok... I'm going to have to get serious about this stuff. I put up a novelty item, but I think people are afraid of being laughed at or truely have no interest in it. SO this leaves me with a problem... I haven't found my market. SHould I add to my offer? Demonstrate it more? or switch products? (remember guys.. its just a game)

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
I'd give it a bit more time Sparlin. If nothing happens I would just switch. I don't think demonstrating it more or adding to it would help much. This thread made me think about this thing I got that means nothing to me, but may sell ok on ebay.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Umm...someone without a broken leg to help out around the house? lol
Oooooo! I don't have a lake, but I can offer a pool...and a pool table...and a media room with 400 movies...and 3 puppies...and mountain bikes!

That probably doesn't help much, does it? (But if you were 12, I'll bet we'd have a deal! Then again, if you were 12, you probably wouldn't want to help out around the house!)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why don't several people offer up stuff and we can see what garners interest?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.