The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Astonishing Secrets" Thread

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I for one am full on mindset, and my belly is definately protruding on that account, so for the sake of not waddling so much, I could go for the change in pace!

Hmmm... Regarding ideas:
I have great sales skill when talking, but I don't know how to put that to use in my startup or in general (kinda like it is a skill but it just sits there, and I am like "yo, skill, what are you doing!").
Likewise, I can put together nice marketting stuff but then am a bit clueless on the next step.
People look at it and smile, and then there is a whole lot of, lingering around and awkwardness.
How can I use them to drive traffic or be productive? Rather than sit around looking pretty :p
How can I maximise those skills. I've been busy on infrastructure and setting up admin (thats why I've not looked critically at it yet, as selling with bad admin will make me shoot myself if my market comes in, though at the current state of it, I think I'm probably just cleaning my shop front up in case of customers rather than actually doing the most pressing thing)

I'm sure these other guys have stuff stopping them, so maybe if they give some more details on what might be helpful to them you can rain icecream down upon them too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cantona7

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Feb 3, 2014
I've been lurking on these forums for a couple months no and this thread finally encouraged me to post. I struggle with the mindset aspect the most, but I'm down for the Sales/mktg side. You've already changed my mindset drastically in these 10 pages alone.

Keep the good stuff coming, ICK.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I struggle with the mindset aspect the most, but I'm down for the Sales/mktg side.

Hey man I sent you a PM about the mindset aspect.

BobbyPenzero

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Nov 28, 2013
I have to admit, the thread has done more to change my mindset than anything - ever.

I no longer constantly think about cash - even with my freelance "business", I'm thinking "I love my customer, how can I help them even more?

I'm starting to look at everything as an opportunity, and I'm not sure if your intention was this, but I feel so much more... positive.

It's a slow process - I'll be asking people what their problems are soon (although I'm not 100% of how to direct the convo that way, so I'll be reading over the thread again).

I am also stopping the negative thoughts coming through. I too was a fairly bitter person, but over the last few days I've just thought to myself "I love that person, how can I help them?"I'm giving myself permission to fail at anything I do, and I'm realizing the pitfalls of mental masturbation. On a side note, the stress and constant thoughts of money money money have all but disappeared.

I'm not all the way there yet, nowhere near, but I just wanted to say thank you IceCreamKId again, especially for responding to us all.

P.S. What I've been doing is taking a small notebook out with me, and writing down things that people find frustrating, painful, what they want but can't get and so on. Only two so far, but I thought this was a good blend of Altucher's idea generation and the pain philosophy, and it certainly helps me to stay and alert and be present with everyone in conversation, focusing on them and what they're saying.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I'm starting to look at everything as an opportunity, and I'm not sure if your intention was this, but I feel so much more... positive.

In all seriousness, I had no intention of creating a thread that ended up becoming a golden thread on here. All zen******* told me to do was leave some breadcrumbs behind so others may follow. So I did...then I realized it was kinda fun to help people out, despite how many people PM me saying "yo just show me the steps bro. Tell me to accomplish steps 1,2, and 3 so I can become rich like you man" haha

At the core, my intention was to help people develop the abundance mindset.

The abundance mindset wipes away all fear, insecurities, negative thoughts, everything. You just overall feel whole and complete.

You start to see opportunity everywhere when you have the abundance mindset locked in.

I'm not all the way there yet, nowhere near, but I just wanted to say thank you IceCreamKId again, especially for responding to us all.

Thank you for saying thank you. Real talk, I still have a long way to go. As cheesy as it sounds, success and failure are never permanent. I still have my own personal struggles. My biggest one is that I can't seem to get over how ungrateful some people can be. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to though.

A lot of it dates back to when I used to help out my friends financially. I'd loan them some money...6 months later I still hadn't gotten paid back yet I see them taking trips to Disneyland, buying Playstations, posting all their stuff on Facebook wtf where is the honor. Where is the respect.

On the whole, I'm a very happy person. It's just that one thing about people being ungrateful that still gets under my skin once in a while.

Even on this forum, which is supposed to be a special breed of people(entrepreneurs) I feel like there are so many ungrateful people. People should be making a friggin shrine for MJ, zen*******, JackEdwards, Vigilante, Biophase, AllenCrawley, JasonR, and many others who have long since stopped posting. People don't even want to sacrifice a pitiful $80 for INSIDERS membership to support MJ's efforts.

I put a lot of my heart into making sure all of my posts are meaningful and it does get disheartening at times. Sometimes people treat us like we're a genie whose sole job is to grant them 3 wishes. As if we're not humans with feelings of our own. One member in particular on here won't stop harassing me to mentor him and his entire vibe is "gimme, gimme, gimme". There's nothing about making it a, "thank you and you're welcome" relationship.

So yea, thanks for saying thanks bro. Trust, it isn't forgotten.

You know something awesome about being grateful? It opens up the gates to more happiness and opportunities for you. PM me if you need anything. I won't forget you.

Last edited:

Oztrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 9, 2013
I still struggle with the abundance mindset, but one thing is for sure, I know after all I have learnt in this thread my mindset is changing! New neural connections are being made and strengthened that is for sure. Look forward to the sales aspects to come.
Thanks again ICK and to all who ask the right questions to drag that information out!

BobbyPenzero

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Nov 28, 2013
So I did...then I realized it was kinda fun to help people out, despite how many people PM me saying "yo just show me the steps bro. Tell me to accomplish steps 1,2, and 3 so I can become rich like you man" haha

If there's one thing I learnt from MJ's book (and there were many things, no offence intended MJ), it was that wealth is a personal journey, and that it is your personal journey alone. I do understand this, and when I was out walking the other day I realized "Wow - already I'm growing as a person on my own journey" (with regards to the mindset and abundance of opportunity, along with the happiness).

On the whole, I'm a very happy person. It's just that one thing about people being ungrateful that still gets under my skin once in a while.

This is what I've been experiencing a fair amount, even thought it hasn't been long. I just AM happier, want to help people, and let's not kid ourselves - we all want to make coin, but I see the way of doing it. On Dragon's Den (the UK's Shark Tank), Duncan Bannatyne once said "Money isn't that important to me, it's just a way of keeping track of how well you're doing in life." I found this quite enlightening.

I'm maybe coming off as a little naive here, seeing as I haven't opened anything up, but I will be, believe me.

So yea, thanks for saying thanks bro. PM me if you need anything.

Thanks IceCreamKid, it's really nice to know there's someone I can message if I REALLY need to know something - I really like that, and it gives me a lot of personal confidence. If you ever come to London, hit me up.

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
This thread is most helpfull thread since (just few I remember, sorry if I missed someone) zen*******, Vigilante, Lavedure, JackEdwards threads.. I admire people who had nothing, but got on their feet AND still are helping other people.. Very often once someone just smells the money he gets he's ego pumped and such people often think they are kings of the world..

Thank you @IceCreamKid for your time and for helping us, struggling people..

Also, once I get on my feet, I will buy fastlane INSIDERS.. And trust me, 80$ may be lousy for you, but here its like half of your monthly paycheck..

Again mad respect for all entrepreneurial "marines" who are going against all odds and are helping people

Fant

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
340%
Jun 21, 2012
Bro, you need to reach what I call the F*ck it point. The point where you are 100% committed.

The F*ck It Point

People often wonder where all of my motivation comes from. They wonder how is this kid able to function off 4 hours of sleep a day. I honestly don’t know how to explain the motivation factor because it’s an overall feeling rather than something that I can put into words.

All I can say is that every man reaches a breaking point in his life. He feels like he’s carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders at this point. Frustration is at its highest, disappointment is at its peak, and worst of all is the underlying feeling that he wasn’t living up to the greatness that is within himself.

This is when he reaches the F*ck IT point. He becomes 100% committed NOT because he has something to prove to anyone, but because of who he is to become. Procrastination is replaced by action, he has no time to acknowledge the fear that exists with himself because he is moving so fast towards accomplishing his mission, and everything seems to come easily…because he has finally reached the F*ck IT point.

Being 99% committed is painful as hell. You second guess yourself. You overanalyze. You let fear paralyze you into inaction. But don’t worry…your moment will come when you are so sick of the fact that you’re getting older, you will have no choice but to take action like an ice cream addicted maniac…and that is when you will win the battle. And do you know where the battle takes place? Within your mind. Master yourself.

Don't you hate how there is such a spiritual side to this stuff? Don't you wish you could just complete steps 1,2, and 3 then a million dollar pops out of the other end? lol if only it were that easy.

Right, I'm a little behind, so I'm quoting posts from 5 pages back :) Just read up on everything I missed, and this thread sure deserves that gold. Anyway, I love this post about the 'F*ck It Point'! I've been thinking about this for some time, and I believe there are some things that can be done to reach this point earlier.

I myself have been living a terrible life for the past 2 or 3 years. I am 21, jobless, still living with my parents, have a crappy social life with friends who are all in similar situations and the only thing on this earth I actually enjoy is my car, which I can barely afford to keep. I am slowly crawling out of a year-long severe depression I had in 2013. Basically, my life is pretty crappy. However, at the moment there is no real need to get out of it. I have a savings account with about 3k in it which could keep me going for at least one more year with my current lifestyle, my parents are wáy too nice and let me stay here endlessly and my depression gives me an excuse for not doing anything. I, and others, have made my life too easy. It sucks, but this crappy life has become my comfort zone and there's little reason to move out of it.

Lately I've been working on starting my own webstore, and it's looking quite good. I have most of it figured out and am ready to set it all in motion. Problem is; now I'm stuck at the point where I have to invest money into it. Like I said, I have a savings account that could get it all up and running in no-time. I'm F*cking scared though. I won't lie. This could fail and leave me broke. But I'm actually starting to think this is a good thing. If I sink the 3k into this business, and it succeeds, I will finally start to see a better life (get some more self esteem, move out of the house, be able to live comfortably). If it fails, I will be broke and I will finally have the need to change my life, not just the wish to change it. It will definitely put me beyond the F*ck It Point where I have nothing to lose.

Anyway, thanks to everyone that posted in this thread! It's absolutely brilliant, educational and motivating. I'll keep my eye on it.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@Fant. A LOT of truth you've written, for sure. I see the honesty in your words. After I read through it, I thought, "He's in a great position !" ... and for all the reasons you stated !

If you can, I would suggest spending 1/2 your savings on getting your site up and running if that's possible. This way you won't be completely broke, but you will feel the pressure to take action and make things happen. If it doesn't work...you learn your lessons and you still have bank for your next venture. Getting a part time job maybe ? Even the jobs you think are shit...you learn a ton that will benefit you.

Maybe you can take money and invest in buying an "INSIDERS" membership. It's like buying gold at $2/oz...a hell of a deal !

Keep pushing ! Keep us informed.

Fant

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
340%
Jun 21, 2012
@Bigguns50 Yeah, you're right, sinking all of it into the business might not be wise :) I'll probably keep a thousand euros (about 1300 dollars I guess) as a safety net. I'm lucky we're dealing with digital products, which have the great advantage of instant delivery from the supplier and to the customer, which actually takes the need for an initial big inventory away.

Jobs are really hard to find here in my country and especially my region. There are so many people jobless that companies can make insane demands (5 years of experience, all kinds if diplomas, crazy hours) that I won't meet anytime soon. Keeping my eye on the job market though :) Could use something for a couple of hours a week to get some extra cash to put into business and self improvement, or to move out of here.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I'm F*cking scared though. I won't lie. This could fail and leave me broke.

Dude, I seriously hope you fail and go broke...and I mean that with the best of intentions for you.

You know why? Because this is the perfect time to go broke. You're young as hell, you don't have kids to feed, you don't have a mortgage to pay, you don't have any major responsibilities. There is no greater time for you to screw things up than now. When you're 35 with a wife and kids, the fear of going broke will be 10x stronger so do it now and fall on your face.

When you fail and go broke(I did many times btw) you will find that failure is not even a big deal. Failure is just a minor inconvenience as you move towards your goal.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Dude, I seriously hope you fail and go broke...and I mean that with the best of intentions for you.

You know why? Because this is the perfect time to go broke. You're young as hell, you don't have kids to feed, you don't have a mortgage to pay, you don't have any major responsibilities. There is no greater time for you to screw things up than now. When you're 35 with a wife and kids, the fear of going broke will be 10x stronger so do it now and fall on your face.

When you fail and go broke(I did many times btw) you will find that failure is not even a big deal. Failure is just a minor inconvenience as you move towards your goal.

Truth right here! This is a great time for you to learn valuable lessons, DO IT NOW!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@Fant I'm in Michigan and the job market is horrible here too. Employers have the upper hand too. Advanced degrees for shit jobs, low pay, terrible hours.....BUT... there are needs to be meet. Look for people's pains...listen to their complaints... solve their problems. Make life easier, safer, save them time and or money....

And WE have the internet ! And we have this incredible group of people in our forum. We've got it good man.

You're going to do good man. Like everyone here preaches and does.... just do something every day that moves you forward. At the end of the week, or month, you'll be like.... Damn shit wow... this is good !

Be accountable and tell us what you're doing.

Sooooo....staying with the theme here..get da ice cream !

R

redshep

When you're 35 with a wife and kids, the fear of going broke will be 10x stronger
So much truth in this. I work my tail off during the day, no worries, just enjoying the grind. But then at night I try to sleep and the brain says, "Nope, now it's time to worry about the people you're doing this for, and everything you have to lose..."

Take big swings when you can afford to strike out. It won't always be that way.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Going broke isn't that bad if you're young and single.

It just forces you to be creative.

I actually wrote a post about this on Microsoft Word, but ended up not posting it on here because we're shifting towards discussing sales/marketing.

But yea, being broke in the beginning is AWESOME because it brings out the true entrepreneur within. It separates the wannabes from those who are willing to really think from a bunch of different angles to figure out how to accomplish the mission. JackEdwards is the kingpin of angles on this forum IMO. zen******* is right up there with him too.

I see this scenario so often:
1. Company gets bought out by investors or the government suddenly backs them
2. Company goes wild spending the money on useless things that don't push the business forward i.e. coffee mugs, t-shirts, pens with company logo, etc
3. CEO is voted off by the board for ruining the company and is rewarded with a golden parachute

I once worked at a green energy company that got government backing. California likes throwing money at these green energy companies. Man, it was a wild party all the time haha my boss would take out the entire department to dinner once a week at Cheesecake Factory. The tab would guaranteed be over $2k every single time because we could order all the food and alcohol we wanted. All on the government funding. Insanity.

EDIT: I just described what is called cognitive reframing. I USE THIS A LOT. Reframing is basically where you look at any experience, event, emotion, or idea and transform it from a weakness into a strength.

Some may say being broke when starting a business is the worst. Others will say it's the best when starting out because it forces you to strengthen that resourcefulness muscle. You need the resourcefulness muscle, especially when you start playing with larger numbers.

Last edited:

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
EDIT: I just described what is called cognitive reframing. I USE THIS A LOT. Reframing is basically where you look at any experience, event, emotion, or idea and transform it from a weakness into a strength.
Some may say being broke when starting a business is the worst. Others will say it's the best when starting out because it forces you to strengthen that resourcefulness muscle. You need the resourcefulness muscle, especially when you start playing with larger numbers.

This is so profound. It reminded me of what Dan Kennedy said in The Ultimate Success Secret. [quoted and paraphrased below]

For every handicap, obstacle and tragedy, there are two stories....
Imprisoning and The Action Model

Imprisoning: I can't. Resentment. I desire sympathy. "It's not fair". "Withdrawal". Yuck, that hurts even to type that tripe.

The Action Model: I will. Gratitude. I desire accomplishment. I search for opportunities. Participation. Feel better already yeah?

People who take a part of their life story... "growing up poor, can't start with no money, I don't have this or that" and frame it in that imprisoning model are stuck. They cannot put one foot in front of the other. It is against their nature, the person they believe they are. A terrifying place to be.

My Dad mentioned a story a while ago that agrees with this as well. Years ago he told this guy he could live in this housing complex...the guy didn't believe my Dad, he had already heard from one of his friends that told him "you'll never be able to live here".

He bought the bad advice, and never lived there for years....years. Never looked into living there. As time passed someone finally moved out or some circumstance that I cannot remember, and the guy finally moved in the complex.

It got me thinking that often times we are just looking for people that say things that agree with our own picture of ourselves.

That is the penalty of not taking control of your own beliefs. If we are following the Imprisoning model, it's virtually impossible to follow advice from The Action Model--it is incongruent with our core. We have the choice everyday to frame what happens to us in either a system that works for us, or a system that works against us.

I too am awaiting the ice cream from the sky as @IceCreamKid moves into sales/marketing. Just wanted to share some mindset stuff from my own experience.

Hope it helps

Dave

Last edited:

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
What Flavor Of Marketing Do The People Want? Online, Apparently!

Okay I’ve been exchanging PM’s with a lot of you and it seems like the majority want to discuss online marketing which isn’t exactly my expertise. I’m going to talk to one of my buddies who does a lot of work with that stuff so I can teach you guys what you want to know. I can’t guarantee it’ll be the best of the best info since I’ll be learning as I go, but for the price of FREE you can’t complain haha.

My business is primarily run offline so I dance to a different style of music. I’m huge on “shock and awe” marketing. I really like leveraging the news media to get exposure for my company because it’s much more affordable than buying commercial slots on TV.

Although everyone seems to be shifting online for their business, I’m still convinced that there is a lot of opportunity offline. Tons of business are still using obsolete technology and probably need your help making the transition to the digital age. You’ll never know until you pick up the phone to find out though…

Anyway, my posts here are going to slow down for 2 reasons:

1. I want to ramp up production for my product because I currently cannot meet the demand and that irritates the hell out of me.

2. It’s going to take me some time to learn online marketing for you guys so it’s more difficult to write quality posts without thinking things through. I was easily able to write the mindset posts because all of that was second nature to me already.

Do or do not. There is no try. Take action. Get the ice cream.

p.s. For those of you hiding away from the world learning copy, I invite you to get out and start talking to people. There's no point in having all of this copy knowledge if you're not going to use it. Ready. Fire. Aim. So many let fear steal their dreams. Don't do that. Talk to people while you learn copy. There's no law stating you can't do both at the same time.

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
A lot of it dates back to when I used to help out my friends financially. I'd loan them some money...6 months later I still hadn't gotten paid back yet I see them taking trips to Disneyland, buying Playstations, posting all their stuff on Facebook wtf where is the honor. Where is the respect.
haha, wow. Don't get me started on that. I've been a sucker.

I'd help someone pay their rent, a few weeks later they have a new car and a holiday booked. The audacity! Before it would drive me nuts, now I tend to feel sorry for them, because that mindset and lifestyle is just not sustainable.

I fully agree on the ungrateful thing. My mind is continually blown that there are people like you, Zen, MJ, Allen etc etc who just give this information away. I wish I had more rep to give.

kirrubi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Dec 26, 2011
California
ice creamkid really thank you for your sharing, god i am really scare and really excited now that my chance is within my grasp, thank you and specially zen******* man youv been my inspiration to push thru for some time, Thank you

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
p.s. For those of you hiding away from the world learning copy, I invite you to get out and start talking to people. There's no point in having all of this copy knowledge if you're not going to use it. Ready. Fire. Aim. So many let fear steal their dreams. Don't do that. Talk to people while you learn copy. There's no law stating you can't do both at the same time.

I have to add this. Join a local mastermind!!!! If you can't find one, CREATE ONE!! Use your copy skills to draw out the best of the best to join your group. As a rule of thumb you don't want to be the smartest one in the room (You are not growing if you are, your only feeding your ego). I couldn't find a mastermind to my liking on meetup, so I used some good ol bullet point copy to reel in some people through Craigslist.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I'd help someone pay their rent, a few weeks later they have a new car and a holiday booked. The audacity! Before it would drive me nuts, now I tend to feel sorry for them, because that mindset and lifestyle is just not sustainable.

Yea man it's pretty sad. People don't really ask me for money anymore though because I play the "broke guy" card. It's funny...when I didn't have any money, all I wanted to do was prove to the world that I had money. Now that I got some cheddar, I want to be almost hidden from the world.

I want to drive a crappy car, wear plain clothes, and look like an everyday dude. The only thing out of the ordinary that I want is to travel the world with my ladybird. We're going to either Madrid or Thailand this year.

You know how in Harry Potter he would put on an invisibility cloak to become invisible to others? I want that for my birthday.

Invisibility cloaks would never be legal though. Perverts would use them to go into women's bathrooms and shit.

Last edited:

AlexanderV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Dec 3, 2013
Ontario
Hey @IceCreamKid, when you have time I would love to read more about how you reprogram your mind. I recorded myself repeating WHY I really want to be successful, but I am struggling to make it more motivating.

Edit: I am referring to this post https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ver-told-you…exposed.50097/page-6#post-329538

Last edited by a moderator:

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
Hey @IceCreamKid, when you have time I would love to read more about how you reprogram your mind. I recorded myself repeating WHY I really want to be successful, but I am struggling to make it more motivating.

Disclaimer: I don't know your entire situation @AlexanderV but I'm just addressing what I think you may be experiencing, and what I've experienced.

I'm not the kid with the ice cream scoop in his hand but your statement made me think...

If your own recorded voice can't motivate you further, then it's time to take action. Steve Blank (author of The Four Steps to the Epiphany and The Startup Owner's Manual) advocates that the founders need to "get out of the building" as soon as possible. (aka go sell. go get feedback), or as the mighty dolphin @zen******* says "pick up the F*cking phone".

Hop on that treadmill screaming at 7mph man. Get that heart rate up--move so fast that your body has to adjust or die. Because IMHO there aren't many more ways to be motivated if even your own voice can't pump you up!

Cool idea btw.

But to me personally, it just lets me know how much you have to hone in on a pain point in an industry and attack it. I'm speaking from experience here. I'm really cute with the motivational stuff, wasted tons of time. Painstakingly clipping out this or that article, got my Evernote for these kind of notes...offline blog for that, Google Keep for the affirmations. Drag and drop yourself into paralysis.

Two words.

Mental masturbation.

Let go of that mouse! It's unhealthy! I don't care what the studies say!

The brain is a clever lil' devil. @IceCreamKid alluded to this when he addressed us (me included) the guys hiding in the bedroom/home office learning copy all day...procrastination is a witty MF'er and if your plan isn't straight, you'll be on a learning loop telling lies to yourself that "I gotta have my affirmations DOWN before I get on the phone". "I gotta write out 40 sales letters before I get on the phone."

The phone is free. It needs no prerequisite except you being willing to fail. Once you fail, then you can self-correct.

The main course of action IMO now is to find some reason to pick up the phone.

Best.

Dave.

EDIT: Just peeped Alexander's link to ICK's post. Wowza, didn't know they were doing that at Amway. Talk about the clone wars. Everybody has their own style, I do too, but I think from now on, we should accompany our mindset posts with the latest bit of action we've took.

Last edited:

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Disclaimer: I don't know your entire situation @AlexanderV but I'm just addressing what I think you may be experiencing, and what I've experienced.

I'm not the kid with the ice cream scoop in his hand but your statement made me think...

If your own recorded voice can't motivate you further, then it's time to take action. Steve Blank (author of The Four Steps to the Epiphany and The Startup Owner's Manual) advocates that the founders need to "get out of the building" as soon as possible. (aka go sell. go get feedback), or as the mighty dolphin @zen******* says "pick up the F*cking phone".

Hop on that treadmill screaming at 7mph man. Get that heart rate up--move so fast that your body has to adjust or die. Because IMHO there aren't many more ways to be motivated if even your own voice can't pump you up!

Cool idea btw.

But to me personally, it just lets me know how much you have to hone in on a pain point in an industry and attack it. I'm speaking from experience here. I'm really cute with the motivational stuff, wasted tons of time. Painstakingly clipping out this or that article, got my Evernote for these kind of notes...offline blog for that, Google Keep for the affirmations. Drag and drop yourself into paralysis.

Two words.

Mental masturbation.

Let go of that mouse! It's unhealthy! I don't care what the studies say!

The brain is a clever lil' devil. @IceCreamKid alluded to this when he addressed us (me included) the guys hiding in the bedroom/home office learning copy all day...procrastination is a witty MF'er and if your plan isn't straight, you'll be on a learning loop telling lies to yourself that "I gotta have my affirmations DOWN before I get on the phone". "I gotta write out 40 sales letters before I get on the phone."

The phone is free. It needs no prerequisite except you being willing to fail. Once you fail, then you can self-correct.

The main course of action IMO now is to find some reason to pick up the phone.

Best.

Dave.

Great post Dave, I 100% agree with you!

merryrows

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 23, 2013

I am guilty of this. I am making myself believe that I am becoming fearless. But this little task is making me worry to share to everyone that I am up to the challenge. I am afraid that I will not stick to it or my copies won't convert

I started reading Gary's Suggested books, they are copywriting materials which turns out to be motivating books as well. Just what I needed to work things out. Let's do this!

Started talking to people online and offline. After all, what to fear?

Thank you @IceCreamKid, I told you a lot of times how thankful I am for this thread. And truly, you deserved every appreciation!

+ You are Asian
YOU ABSOLUTELY OWE YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY NO MATTER WHAT. because you are Asian of course.

Even to your neighbors, lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.