The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 99% Needs a Raise

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
I can assure the idiot who created that that the average CEO does not earn $20k per hour.

It isn't fair to compare the average min. wage person and the average regular wage person to a Fortune 500 CEO. The average CEO pay would be much, much lower.

Further, regardless of this fact, props to whoever can command the most money for their time. If you want to get paid "what you're worth," then work for yourself and find out how valuable you really are. Oh, wait, can't do that... [insert excuse here].

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
As someone once stated, what do you suppose would happen if they reorganized all of the positions within a Fortune 500 company by drawing. The entire company would fold within hours.

"We get paid for bringing value to the marketplace. The marketplace is also known as reality." -Jim Rohn

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Most CEO's don't deserve their pay. If they did I would be able to discover far more businesses earning high rates on shareholder equity with minimal application of leverage; but I don't.

Founder CEO's perform FAR better than hired CEOs - and they cost far less because the majority of a Founder CEO's compensation comes from the millions of shares they own, not their salary. Founder CEOs don't take a high salary because doing so would bleed the business of much needed cash that can be used for growth. Founder CEOs understand that if they grow the business, the compounding on their shares would dwarf any extra salary anyway.

99% of salaried CEOs are useless. I wouldn't touch a business run by a salaried CEO.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Most CEO's don't deserve their pay. If they did I would be able to discover far more businesses earning high rates on shareholder equity with minimal application of leverage; but I don't.

Founder CEO's perform FAR better than hired CEOs - and they cost far less because the majority of a Founder CEO's compensation comes from the millions of shares they own, not their salary. Founder CEOs don't take a high salary because doing so would bleed the business of much needed cash that can be used for growth. Founder CEOs understand that if they grow the business, the compounding on their shares would dwarf any extra salary anyway.

99% of salaried CEOs are useless. I wouldn't touch a business run by a salaried CEO.

I very much agree with you on this although I dont begrudge them like most people do. I am sorry but how is the CEO of homedepot worth $200+million. Employees, contractors, and customers have never been more unhappy with the store. I see it time and time again. You have a great business built by a great entrepreneur who then turns it over to "professional" management only to see the life of the company get sucked out and customer satisfaction diminish.

I also agree that the money could be better spent on either share holder payouts or employee raises. I know you earn what your worth etc. but at the end of the day the more money people get paided the more they will spend on your goods and services.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011

I very much agree with you on this although I dont begrudge them like most people do. I am sorry but how is the CEO of homedepot worth $200+million. Employees, contractors, and customers have never been more unhappy with the store. I see it time and time again. You have a great business built by a great entrepreneur who then turns it over to "professional" management only to see the life of the company get sucked out and customer satisfaction diminish.

I also agree that the money could be better spent on either share holder payouts or employee raises. I am not saying that everybody deserves a raise but at the end of the day the more money people get paided the more they will spend on your goods and services.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Best thing you can do is focus on getting the hell out of the lower and middles classes. I'm preaching to the choir on here, but people should get out and produce and create their own economy if they don't like it in the 99%.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Best thing you can do is focus on getting the hell out of the lower and middles classes. I'm preaching to the choir on here, but people should get out and produce and create their own economy if they don't like it in the 99%.

isn't this just money chasing just like the other 99% of the people that want to be rich? who wouldn't want to get out of low payment?

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Not really...most everyone "wants" to have money but in IMO very few take the initiative for various reasons. I said produce and not chase money. Case in point we offered a job to an in-law back when they were needing extra money, his response "I don't work weekends." WTF??? They have 4 kids...

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Not really...most everyone "wants" to have money but in IMO very few take the initiative for various reasons. I said produce and not chase money. Case in point we offered a job to an in-law back when they were needing extra money, his response "I don't work weekends." WTF??? They have 4 kids...

Thanks for the insight. Crazy how lazy that dude is. To be honoust' I also rather not do some work that might be available

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007

This kind of surprised me to read because I thought you were a stock market investor?

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
This kind of surprised me to read because I thought you were a stock market investor?

I am. I like businesses run by CEOs that own a lot of shares along with me, not over paid, hired gun CEOs.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Not only do they need a raise, they need all the people with money to not be so mean, so lacking in compassion, so entitled, so motivated by our own self-interests...they would like us to be less like "assholes"...really? So now it is selfish and mean to bust your a$$ to bring products and services to the market place that the masses are craving...it seems perhaps we can't win.

Money Won't Make You Nicer: What Science Says About Rich People's Behavior

It isn't that we lack compassion or empathy, it is just really hard when you busted your a$$ and started with nothing, have really made a difference in the lives of the market you serve, to be told that we are bad because we make money. It makes my blood boil, there is so much opportunity out there, it is raining money from the sky. All you have to do is build the right bucket to catch it, you don't have to chase it, people are literally willing to throw it at you, just give them what they want...like Samsung is doing for example Smartphones lift Samsung profits by 79%.

Sue

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Case in point we offered a job to an in-law back when they were needing extra money, his response "I don't work weekends." WTF??? They have 4 kids...
I don't know your in-law but I can see how someone would turn down a weekend job to be able to spend more time with their kids.

Whole Paradigm

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Nov 15, 2011
Not only do they need a raise, they need all the people with money to not be so mean, so lacking in compassion, so entitled, so motivated by our own self-interests...they would like us to be less like "assholes"...really? So now it is selfish and mean to bust your a$$ to bring products and services to the market place that the masses are craving...it seems perhaps we can't win.

Money Won't Make You Nicer: What Science Says About Rich People's Behavior

It isn't that we lack compassion or empathy, it is just really hard when you busted your a$$ and started with nothing, have really made a difference in the lives of the market you serve, to be told that we are bad because we make money. It makes my blood boil, there is so much opportunity out there, it is raining money from the sky. All you have to do is build the right bucket to catch it, you don't have to chase it, people are literally willing to throw it at you, just give them what they want...like Samsung is doing for example Smartphones lift Samsung profits by 79%.

Sue

I stopped telling most friends about my business progress when they ask me because of this mindset. They always end up asking in a playful way when I'd hire them and when I explain that I'm working on automating my business and running it by myself they immediately get upset/offended that I wouldn't throw something their way.

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
Telling people what I did as a company President and entrepreneur eventually got demotivating for all the exact reasons people already said in this thread. So currently, I just tell them I'm a consultant and/or freelancer looking for work and potentially a job because the market is 'tough' (99% of that is true thus not a lie).

Though I disagree that the 99% need a raise. Some people in that 99% really deserve a raise, but not as a whole. Lately I've been traveling and because of that met all too many people whom I think don't even deserve a minimum wage, let a lot a raise. I've also met some of the best, kindest, hardest working people ever who are at or under minimum wage and it pissed me off so much that 'corporate' treated them like shit and when I voiced my opinion to corporate, I'm really hoping they got some help.

futhey

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 18, 2012
I'm a liberal, some might say a bleeding heart liberal, and this kind of thing makes me sick. The whole culture thinks that they deserve something simply for existing. Like girls and their princess complexes, thinking they deserve a tall, rich guy to sweep them off their feet, or college grads thinking that just because they have a piece of paper that represents 4 years of exams and $100,000 of debt means that they deserve a job.

Another liberal here, and I couldn't agree more. I support a lot of "liberal causes", but I also see the entitlement everywhere and it makes me sick.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.