The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 10 rules Apple religiously lives by when designing products.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
These are the 10 rules that Jonny Ive abided by when designing Apple products. They were called Dieter Rams' 10 Principles for Good Design, which will be explained in more detail below.

To give a little backstory, Jonny Ive was a rabid fan of product designer Dieter Rams (head designer at Braun during the 1960s); and vice versa. Rams has called Apple one of the few companies that understands and practices good design.

You can see Ram's heavy influence in a number of Apple products:

View attachment 29937

View attachment 29938

View attachment 29939

It may lead to cries of "Apple Copied Them!" but Apple have admittedly always been shameless thieves of great ideas.

Anyway hope this will affect the way you design products – if that's your thing or should you ever need to do so.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Very good post my man!

I think this is the Pathway to Zig Zag Success:

1) I have to go India/Thailand and live with Monks
2) Participate in some kind of Zen/Meditation
3) Come back to US/Canada and work in the lab for revamp the pre-product
4) Get into a Business Partnership
5) Fund Raise
6) Get into MVP - Minimum Viable Product
7) Get Traction
8) Get Fired and Start Over

Bottom line is: If you know what is Market Research & Demand, there is a chance

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Apple has definitely taken a big dive over the past 6-7 years since Steve passed. When design WAS still innovation. They go further and further away from these principles.

This is just an observation and initial thoughts I had shortly after Steve passed that I thought Apple would go towards.

I don't fault Apple though; everything I own is Apple. The problem is: There's only so many ways to fit 30 knives and tools into one carry fold up case.

One day they will eventually reach a point where their decline in innovation and design will meet in the middle with the increasing innovation and design of say Huawei. That will probably be the day I reconsider most of my Apple stuff.

Example:
Apple + Worried about bigger screens = No innovation, just following Samsung's moves.

Huawei + Making a foldable screen that is now an iPad and pocket Phone = INNOVATION. (I've seen these first hand at CES, these are incredible. I see why Trump is doing EVERYTHING he can to keep Huawei out. Eventually though, the market always wins.)

Apple (and other US companies) + Making 5G capabilities = Not innovation, just following.

Huawei + Putting hologram keyboards on their foldable phones so now it is essentially a Laptop with a smaller screen (what people do with iPads at the moment with case keyboards) = INNOVATION.

The next 20 years will be interesting...

EDIT: Re-reading this, I want to clarify I am a 110% Proud American lol. It sounded quite the opposite, but truth is truth... We're getting outraced in tech innovation! <shrugs>

Last edited:

diogoatmelo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 30, 2019
Portugal
Great post.

I'd be interested in finding out which metrics they use to evaluate each product's design against these directives.

Also, I had never seen that Steve Jobs video. That's being upfront.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Mannn.... Exactly!!
But to be fair, the smartphone market has slowed in general. When they first got big it was new, exciting... there was a lot to innovate. Now I think it's plateaued. You no longer need to upgrade every year because smartphones aren't changing that much. It's difficult to suss out what is lack of innovation on Apple's part and what is caused by simply hitting the ceiling.

That being said, I think Apple has done a decent job of of innovating since Steve died. AirPods are amazing and now every company is making their own versions. The Apple Watch is a major hit.

Stuff like folding smartphones.. it's hard for me to tell if this is a great technology or mostly a gimmick. Apple is very conservative in releasing new things... they wait for the tech to be perfected before they release. A perfect example was the iPhone 4 not having 4G capabilities. Everyone else had 4G, but they simply felt it wasn't ready for primetime yet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.