The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

That "ONE SECRET", Your Best Advice for the Aspiring Entrepreneur

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Reminds me of:
"When you are short on Talent; Discipline is the best substitute." -- Dan Kennedy.
And the cool thing, is when you are short on discipline, habits are the best substitute :) (as an aside, The Power of Habit should be required reading)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How'd it go Dave?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Another of my favorite advice is where MJ said on Youtube that if you sold $100 bills for $50 you would have a huge line.

Something to think about when it comes to business and value. How do you replicate that analogy in a product or service?

You always wanna be in a business where people are calling you for what you have to offer, instead of you spending tons of money and effort to sell something that is a hard sell.

Be value centered, create $100 bills.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
How'd it go Dave?

Well, I must not have totally screwed the pooch, as I got an invite to come back and two weeks to speak at the Carlson School of Management to their MBA students.

It went GREAT. I had a blast. It was very rewarding. The 60+ students were extremely engaged, and the questions were awesome.

I will be highlighting it this weekend on the podcast also, along with many of the key points from this thread.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Another of my favorite advice is where MJ said on Youtube that if you sold $100 bills for $50 you would have a huge line.

Something to think about when it comes to business and value. How do you replicate that analogy in a product or service?

You always wanna be in a business where people are calling you for what you have to offer, instead of you spending tons of money and effort to sell something that is a hard sell.

Be value centered, create $100 bills.

James Altucher copied that thought in a blog post I saw yesterday posted from him on Facebook.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
MJ... your rules of business (CENTS) are an MBA class in and of themselves. People spend a lifetime searching for what you outlined in the Millionaire Fast Lane.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@Vigilante what, if any, trend did you see that are being taught wrong?

I wasn't privy to that, but they drank up the Fast Lane ideology like it was liquid manna. MJ needs to teach.

Their professors had enough insight and courage to have a ragamuffin like me come in and teach their kids. So, you have to assume that their professors get it... or they wouldn't have had me there. They knew what I was going to speak on.

And, they want me to come back and talk to their MBA class. This forum and you folks have a message worth sharing.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I know I'm a little late, but wanted to throw my thoughts in:

Sports Quotes:

-I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan

-You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky

-All that matters in business is that you get it right once. Then everyone can tell you how lucky you are. -Mark Cuban

Some things I've learned about success:

1)The key to success is in executing good habits. Your motivation will always ebb and flow...have the self-discipline use the good times to form good habits, which will get you through the down periods.

2)There is no such thing as B2B, B2C, etc. There is only human to human. Business transactions are conducted between humans. Treat people with respect, meet their needs, and ask them what more you can do for them. Do this and you'll more than likely be successful.

3)Very few people are able to convert their "passions" into anything more than a job. Make your passion building a successful business and be product agnostic.
I really love points 1 (habits) and 2. 2 is a REALLY excellent point.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Moved to GOLD. Thread title changed to reflect content.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
If i had a multiple likes button, that one woul be my favourite

Well, the alpha lion doesn't need to wake up and hunt.

He's got like, fifteen huntresses that do that for him.

What he does is protect the pack. And you know, bang the huntresses when they come back with Gazelle sandwiches. Isn't biology fascinating?

Since I'm already here, may as well add my own motivational quote:

Ayn Rand said:
“Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real.. it is possible.. it's yours.”

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Well, the alpha lion doesn't need to wake up and hunt.

He's got like, fifteen huntresses that do that for him.

What he does is protect the pack. And you know, bang the huntresses when they come back with Gazelle sandwiches. Isn't biology fascinating?

is

And your point is ??? ( business wise :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
OK. I featured the first three pages of these in this Saturday's podcast before I ran out of time. I botched a few of them as I can't read worth a shit (probably getting old and need some glasses). To the quotes I didn't get to, sorry. It had nothing to do with your specific post. To the screen names I botched, sorry. Maybe your screen name sucks. :)

To the quotes I screwed up, it might be a combination of my crappy reading skills and your crappy writing skills. :)

Anyway, I know at least the first half of the show is solid until I started getting into some more jumbled thoughts.

So... grab the Mind Your Business podcast on Saturday, and you can hear my take on at least the first half of the posts here. Towards the end of the podcast, people will be like "what the hell did he just say?" because I was doing a live read without really filtering the stuff first. Oh well. F-it. Hopefully it came off better than I think it did. :)

I wish I could have gotten them all in. And yes, I just used three smiley faces in one post. I'm not even sure everything I said was coherent English.

Last edited:

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
And your point is ??? ( business wise :)

Build your pride/company through leadership, and you won't have to fight for survival every morning--you'll have passive income/gazelle sandwiches.

All you have to do is protect the pride and grow it.

kyle bowers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Oct 29, 2014
Just figured id add these in.

Its easier to live in regret of failure than in regret of never trying.

Most have the power to do what you want in this world, its up to you to use that power.

You cant expect to succeed if you only put in work on the days you feel like it.

G

GuestUser112

Talking to yourself like that works for you?

Well I was always the 'super smart guy' in school who always did really well without trying and was always supremely confident in my intelligence and my ability. It was great that I did well without trying, but what happened is that my work ethic did not develop at all. Even when I was in the working world at jobs, I did pretty well without trying hard. Most jobs are pretty easy, at least in the entry level.

But this entrepreneur thing actually takes hard work, and that's something I've never actually done before. It's terrible. It's a bitch to learn how to work hard when I have been conditioning myself not to for pretty much my entire life. I've always known that I have tremendous ability, so it isn't a very motivating factor. What is motivating is the fact that ONE DAY I AM GOING TO DIE and the ensuing self-disgust that comes when I realize I HAVE NOT LIVED THE LIFE I WANT TO.

Getting angry at myself for not producing motivates me to succeed. Gotta harness that anxiety too when you realize that you're going to die.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Well I was always the 'super smart guy' in school who always did really well without trying and was always supremely confident in my intelligence and my ability. It was great that I did well without trying, but what happened is that my work ethic did not develop at all. Even when I was in the working world at jobs, I did pretty well without trying hard. Most jobs are pretty easy, at least in the entry level.

But this entrepreneur thing actually takes hard work, and that's something I've never actually done before. It's terrible. It's a bitch to learn how to work hard when I have been conditioning myself not to for pretty much my entire life. I've always known that I have tremendous ability, so it isn't a very motivating factor. What is motivating is the fact that ONE DAY I AM GOING TO DIE and the ensuing self-disgust that comes when I realize I HAVE NOT LIVED THE LIFE I WANT TO.

Getting angry at myself for not producing motivates me to succeed. Gotta harness that anxiety too when you realize that you're going to die.

It's not about you, it's about what you can do for others. Stop being negative and calling yourself names, start spending your energy on helping others.

G

GuestUser112

What is this, my intervention? My life is my own mate. Guess my method isn't winning the prize lol.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
All right, fellas. Back on track.

Dicky Dee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2014

2 quotes i live by

1. "The key to staying on top of things is to treat everything like its your first project
Like it's your first day, back when you were an intern
When you treat your first project like your last, and your last project like your first your hunger remains the same"
~ p diddy told jay z this in the song called "1st song by jay z" in what was suppose to be his "last" album

if you actually think deep about the above quote its pretty amazing, you dont know when your last "project" will be but if you treat your last one(current one) like your first you will always give everything your best shot whether it really is your last venture or not.

2. Just do it.
- by nike
greatest quote ever, simple and self explanatory.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
In my life I've always needed a huge "WHY". Why get up early. Why work so hard. Why bother at all. In my office wedged between the window trim and wall are 3 individual photos of my nearest and dearest, ( wife and kids) taken at high points during my life. In my wallet I have a small version of these photos thus giving me constant reminders that my family need me constantly and are relying wholeheartly on me to succeed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.