The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Testing for App Concept - Thoughts?

Idea threads

Bells20

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 31, 2023
Hi! Idea here.... could use some honest feedback.

It's a habit-tracking app, although it includes dashboard and trending features that are easily shareable to Social - think IG stories or FB groups.

I've been tracking habits via a variety of different apps for years now, although I've yet to find one that has an easy way to share to Social. I like how MyFitnessPal and MapMyRun have made their dashboards easily shareable, leading to many more users.

Once live, I can do a free version and a paid monthly subscription - $5-7/month - something doable for most. The subscription would unlock unlimited features and the statistics. This is the Fastlane ticket.

Basing this on the assumption that people love to promote themselves online and their goals, from New Years Resolutions to 'losing x pounds by y date' would not be any different.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YouCanDoThis

Start with Empathy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 2, 2021
Europe
Hmm, I'm probably not the target audience, because I usually like to keep my goals private, but here goes:

I'd frame this more as an accountability thing. What's the biggest problem that habit trackers solve? That it can be downright hard to get a habit to stick. What makes it more likely? Social accountability.

Maybe people can publicly cheer you on when you publish your goal and share progress.

The biggest problem isn't that you can't share it with everyone online, though again, I could be in the minority here.

Also, how hard is it for existing habit trackers to add this functionality?

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Oh no man, not the 150s productivity tracker. This stuff is even funny to talk about at this point, because so many have done this. I remember someone even ridiculed it.

Here's a fun simple test: use Microsoft To do - it's well designed and is fairly pleasant to use. See if you will last.

Also, a book "The Right It" will help you with these kinds of inventions.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, but I had created one myself. It was geared for self-improvement, where you could level up, and even more - challenge your friends.

Well... Suffice to say even I didn't much use it?

But if you are really committed - go do it through The Right It lens with a pretotype.

Bells20

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 31, 2023
Oh no man, not the 150s productivity tracker. This stuff is even funny to talk about at this point, because so many have done this. I remember someone even ridiculed it.

Here's a fun simple test: use Microsoft To do - it's well designed and is fairly pleasant to use. See if you will last.

Also, a book "The Right It" will help you with these kinds of inventions.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, but I had created one myself. It was geared for self-improvement, where you could level up, and even more - challenge your friends.

Well... Suffice to say even I didn't much use it?

But if you are really committed - go do it through The Right It lens with a pretotype.
Thanks for the advice! Book is coming this week to read.

mberry

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 11, 2023
Really like habit tracking, it's incredibly simple to do but keeps you on target, undervalued tool for motivation. Would probably be lumped in with comment above about keeping it private though. If it was going to be social I'd be making somewhat gamified.

Personally use Table Habit on Android, it's open source and simple, but enough for my needs. Apache licensed if you want to take some ideas from it.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Sounds like you've already validated that you like using habit trackers, but you want one that makes it easy to share your progress to social networks.

I'd say figure out the fastest and cheapest way to make a prototype.

I'd probably do something like build an add-on or service to integrate with existing habit trackers and use their data to create a nice visual report that you can share to social media.

I'm not super interested in sharing my progress like that, but there's a part of me that wants to go build this right now... Maybe if you PM me some of your experience with other habit trackers, I could tell you how to prototype a reporting tool like that pretty quickly.

Anyway, what I'm saying is just build the feature you want on top of the tools that are already out there. At least, do that to get started.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
As with almost all things, a percentage of people would use it if it was shown to them and caught their attention. Like 1-5% of people.

Extrapolated out across the population you could have a million users for almost any lowest common denominator type of thing like tracking habits or accountability.

So it's already settled. People are out there. Enough to make you rich.

Now here's the scary part.

It's entirely up to your ability to execute and stay determined until it works. And your failure is entirely your fault if you quit before it is successful.

Bells20

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 31, 2023
As with almost all things, a percentage of people would use it if it was shown to them and caught their attention. Like 1-5% of people.

Extrapolated out across the population you could have a million users for almost any lowest common denominator type of thing like tracking habits or accountability.

So it's already settled. People are out there. Enough to make you rich.

Now here's the scary part.

It's entirely up to your ability to execute and stay determined until it works. And your failure is entirely your fault if you quit before it is successful.
Big fan of the extreme accountability, thank you!

Sounds like:

Idea = Good
Execution needs to be FLAWLESS to succeed

Bells20

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jul 31, 2023
Sounds like you've already validated that you like using habit trackers, but you want one that makes it easy to share your progress to social networks.

I'd say figure out the fastest and cheapest way to make a prototype.

I'd probably do something like build an add-on or service to integrate with existing habit trackers and use their data to create a nice visual report that you can share to social media.

I'm not super interested in sharing my progress like that, but there's a part of me that wants to go build this right now... Maybe if you PM me some of your experience with other habit trackers, I could tell you how to prototype a reporting tool like that pretty quickly.

Anyway, what I'm saying is just build the feature you want on top of the tools that are already out there. At least, do that to get started.
Thanks, Tom! Very interested, reaching out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.