The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tesla Stock?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I dislike hearing / reading anything about this company. :smx8:

I was a buyer between $27-31 or so. I sold between $39-41 thinking it would pull back. I thought the company would grow to be something big..well, it's now a $21 Billion company. It could go higher, I don't know. Thought it would reach these levels in 3 or so years..not months :cuss:

It may be something huge..I liked it better in the $30's. Seems priced to perfection but I haven't been paying attention lately.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
Any stock that does what TLSA (image below) has done in the last 6 months scares me. With that said, I like the company and think Elon Musk is a rock star. Buy on the next pullback.

tesla.gif

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
there also gonna introduce an afffordable E-car next. I beleive there plan was 3 stages. highend sports car high price range, then medium price range which is there new car, and next is the affordable price range.

in a couple years, I think this stock is gonna explode. especially if the power stations work out, because they get paid for those stations, so they would be like an Exxon as well as a Car manufacturer.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
how is it that they get paid for the recharging stations? Not sure of the business model there.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
because there creating them.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
how is it that they get paid for the recharging stations? Not sure of the business model there.
Upselling, monopolization, and complete and utter market control. Being the innovators, they are already the big fish. They are growing at such an incredible rate that by the time the competition starts coming out, they will be light years ahead. I think Tesla will do nothing but grow at an exponential rate, so long as they continue to hold their current position and push forward with unrelenting vigor.

Say hello to the company that I believe will surpass Google in years to come. As for the stocks, can't give an opinion as I am not a trader. But I do not see the growth slowing down any time soon if that is any indicator at all.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Upselling, monopolization, and complete and utter market control. Being the innovators, they are already the big fish.

selling them to car buyers for their homes?

why would a commercial building buy a station for their parking lot? with so few cars. Is it a separate business selling "charges" that is profitable?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I was trading in and out of Tesla at around $35. I never would have expected this. You can buy some options if you wanna better define risk or manage risk. I personally think there will be a pull back. Long term is very risky for this stock.

Also remember that there are thousands of other traders thinking the same thing. Most of them are straight up money chasers. I became a better trader when I realized I was chasing money not buying or selling value.

So if I can't come up with reasons why the stock would be perceived as more valuable in the future then I would not buy it. Its all about expected values and probabilities.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I got lucky getting in at 33. I still have many shares but I feel like selling them everyday.

frieden70

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 24, 2012
I'm personally a big fan of Tesla right now. I bought in around 130 and recently purchased some more. I look at Tesla as the Apple of the auto industry. They are completely revolutionizing the car buying experience and are certainly the market leaders when it comes to electric vehicles. Not to mention Elon Musk...

My money is on Tesla becoming pretty big but only time will tell. I'm not a huge fan of the stock market in general... I look at it more like gambling than a real wealth creator but that's just my .02. Obviously plenty of people do really well in it.

Good luck

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I've always liked Elon. Seems honest and straight up, doesn't have that BS smarm that most public CEOs have. The guy puts his balls on the line( i think pretty much everything he had) and executes like crazy. Hats off to him. Long term he's tough to bet against no matter what biz.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've always liked Elon. Seems honest and straight up, doesn't have that BS smarm that most public CEOs have. The guy puts his balls on the line( i think pretty much everything he had) and executes like crazy. Hats off to him. Long term he's tough to bet against no matter what biz.

I also have Solarcity stock, which is not doing that well. Also betting on Elon. :)

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
all good points.

and ya I agree. its risky.

But I think we all know that E-cars are the future. And in my mind Tesla are the front runners so far.

GM is already going that route with the Volt. Along with Fisker.

It's only a matter of time, before there all making them. I'm sure most of them are right now. They'd be stupid if they weren't.

There are a couple reasons why I'm thinking of investing in Tesla. Mostly common sense reasons.

1 - I believe in Elon. Whether people choose to agree with me or not, I believe Elon Musk will go down in history as of of the most influential people of our time. In regards to moving humanity forward, and getting us out of this hot mess our planet is in. He thinks long term, and only for humanity. Look at the progress he has made with SpaceX, its unbelievable what they are doing over there. And, he has been one of the few that are actually making Solar power a reality, so many have tried and failed. But he seems to always find a way to make things work.

2 - E-cars are the future. Or some variation of this. To say otherwise is ignorant. Everyone knows fossil fuels is F*cking everything up, an alternative has to be brought in at some point.

3 - This may sound corny. But I believe in humanity. People know the world is going to shit, fossil fuels are running out and killing the planet. It's only a matter of time before an alternative has to be agreed upon, before it's too late. using electricity for automobiles is a really good start.

4 - They're creating the Power stations, there are already a lot of them in the states already. Every time someone powers there E-car, they get paid. 2 highly profitable business models, under one roof. Whether or not the power stations will be a success at first, is one of the risky elements. Something will be thought of though, and executed. There really is no choice, alternative power sources have to be developed.

5 - Solar power grids. There will be big break throughs on the horizon for this as well. It's not the greatest right now, profit wise, because the tech isnt quite there yet, but it will develop over time. It makes sense to harness an essentially infinite source of power from the sun. I believe Solar will somehow be integrated into generating power for these stations, and plants down the road. Again, matter of time, question is how long.

6 - Stage 3 of there business model. An 'affordable' sedan. Which I believe is coming within the nest year or so. I think this is where the huge growth will be for Tesla. They have already been hugely successful at there first 2 stages. The stock price is proof of that.

I'm not gonna dump a ton of money at this, but i do want a taste.

anyway, just my thoughts. I'm sure some people on here will disagree. but that's the great thing about life. we can all make our own choices.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-10-02/tesla-plunges-potential-dilution-speculation-car-fire

Despite its position as a "cult" stock - capable of enduring anything (according to Cramer) - the holy grail of momentum stocks is under massive pressure today. Down 9% as we write, Tesla seems to be at the center of a quadruple whammy of retail investors realizing they have become unwitting bagholders to selling institutions, a Baird analyst's downgrade, a major potential dilution event as the firm's convertible note becomes 'convertible' and investors sell to take profits on their bond's huge gains, and an additional factor which may have led to the acceleration in the sell-off in the last hour or so, has been the emergence of an unverified YouTube video which purports to show a burning Tesla

Buy the rumor, sell the fact?

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I got lucky getting in at 33. I still have many shares but I feel like selling them everyday. 

Haha, nice.
The question I'm asking is how much of this is people inflating its worth in their head, and "how can musk capitalise on all of this extra cash".
I hear that next years sports car will be significantly cheaper (which looks good from an investors perspective *he is reducing the price of manufacturing whilst enhancing the product visibility*).

My take is that most of this is people finally noticing tesla. And I believe Tesla will succeed. My only question is "how?", will it get rough again? Or will it sail smoothly?
The reason I like it is the same reason I liked paypal, you could feel its viral appeal. And Tesla's cars are kinda like a laptop meets sports car, which is pretty cool.

Personally though, musk is one for pulling his hair out, so haha, it just depends if you want in on that :p
But hell, its a better bet than most imo.
And as a bonus, he's not gonna sell the company until he feels the Electric car has a 50% market share.

Potentially if he keeps to THAT vision, the upside is quite beneficial to investors.
And how can we forget "they're creating the Power stations".
This guy is just leveraging the hell out of things he touches.

Buy the rumor, sell the fact?

Agreed
But also I'd add in a healthy dose of "what would this look like without all the fuss?" cuz you know that Musk is a bare basics kinda guy. The crowd is what will screw you in this stock. But also what can make you even more cash.

My idea on this is that it should be valued at about 90, and in six months be at 150 ish. Meaning, I'm not comfortable assuming this stock has no downside potential, by it simply revealing "facts". I only say that to demonstrate how it can turn on you (is a more realistic gradient "what goes up...").

No doubt it'll settle out and you'll get a windfall of selling.

So I'd be aware of that.

Oitio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Sep 20, 2013
Finland
Teslas revenue is only 2% of the market value. This is not a good thing, its trendy at the moment but how long can they keep this on? Sales need to pick up quite a few dollars (they have estimated to ship 22k cars this year), at the moment its only hanging on future optimism. Risky? I think so.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
I was reading and just going by the revenue from sales alone, Tesla makes a net profit of -127 million this year. If it wasn't for the federal grants the company is getting for electric cars, they would not make it.

Aside from that, if anyone can make us want electric cars and make them work it is Elon Musk. He is quintessential fast lane success story here. If anyone doesn't know background on him, I highly suggest reading up on him.

I will probably buy some stock of it goes down at all in the near future. I missed the small 15% drop the other day.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Next time one catches on fire, buy in hard. Stocks with trendlines that look like the positive values of y=X^3 are live fast and die young stocks if you want to keep your shirt. Buy on a drop, sell seven days later, hope you made out. This kind of thing I try to avoid.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Out of curiosity, is Tesla an American company?

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
And to be fair, they absolutely are the next fad (it's late to get in on the boom phase though). I live in an area that doesn't spend much money on cars; other than my whip, the nicest car I see every day would be like a GT500. I see DOZENS of these, and they cost $80k/each.

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
They are trying to come out with one in the next few years that is more affordable at around $40,000.

I would say this is the next fad, but if you read up on all the companies that Elon Musk has started, he is in it for the long haul. His company SpaceX has a deal with Nasa for supplying them with the Space Craft to get to the International Space Station, which is a 1.6 Billion to 3.2 billion $ contract over the next 10 years. He is looking to colonize Mars. The Tesla is chump change compared to those goals. If anyone is going to make Electric Car Travel work and not just be a fad, I would say its him.

He made us all use Paypal. Who doesn't have a Paypal account nowadays.

mthomasc

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 17, 2013
"4 - They're creating the Power stations, there are already a lot of them in the states already. Every time someone powers there E-car, they get paid. 2 highly profitable business models, under one roof. Whether or not the power stations will be a success at first, is one of the risky elements. Something will be thought of though, and executed. There really is no choice, alternative power sources have to be developed."

On top of Elon Musk being the next technology genius of our era, this was a great point that I think a lot of investors are missing. Tesla has a firm lock on the electric car industry because it's starting to develop the infrastructure and create charging stations. Could you imagine if every car has a different size gas nozzle?

A stock's movement is largely influenced by the movement of the general stock market. I personally believe the market is overvalued, so we'll see some volatility in the upcoming years across all stocks. With that said, I think Tesla is a great LONG TERM option if you have the stomach for the short-term volatility.

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence
TSLA was incredible over valued at $194. It has now dropped to $128 but I believe it has more to go. If it gets to the $90-100 range that will be a nice entry point. TSLA is a bubble stock aka momentum stock. Another is DDD which is in the 3D printer space. These are basically like playing a game of Jenga. Whent eh last stock drops all the marbles fall. The key is buying a big dip and then riding back up to previous highs and getting out at pre-arranged sell points on the way.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
If anyone is going to make Electric Car Travel work and not just be a fad, I would say its him.

You misunderstand. To me, a fad isn't notable for its transience. A lot of things that are not fads are transient. It's notable for its extreme disconnect between value provided and cost. That car is not worth $80,000 when you can get a Lexus CT-H for 20,000; it would take you 50 years of use to recover the difference in fuel efficiency. Like Silly Bands or POGs, these cars are incredibly popular, and people are tossing money in and not caring much what they get out. These cars are Ugg boots for 55 year old accountants and low-on-the-food-chain lawyers.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
tsla.gif

Vick, did you end up investing in TSLA back in Sept? If you did, AWESOME. For those of you in the stock, congrats as well, heck of a move these past few months.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
no. i have no money. im poor :(

Tesla is gonna kill it even more in the coming years after the release of the 'affordable sedan' which I believe is the Model E or Y

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.