The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Targeted Traffic for high conversion rate

TJComer02

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 30, 2009
Hey guys. As you may know, i have quite a few sites that sell top notch products, (digital products), and I have sites that generate advertising revenue, as well as a few other online businesses. I've really just started to scratch the surface with my "product" sites. I always believed that I had to have these to make the big money, and I think I was right. The thing is though that i'm paying too much for advertising. I have great products, so they don't need tricky or shady tactics to get buyers. These products can hang with anyone's and I mean that, but this discussion isn't really about that. I know how to get lots of traffic by using the free methods (article marketing, free video sites, etc.) But, I'm always going to use advertising. Facebook, even though it seems much more targeted, doesn't seem to convert as high as say adwords, but then again it's two different products, but in the past they've converted the same despite the 70 dollar price difference. Anyway, does anyone have any "adwords experts" they could recommend. By adwords experts I mean guys who can write good ad copy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
You need to talk to Rakona. His expertise is PPC optimization and analysis. I only know this because he gave a great presentation at B & P this year. His website is clicksandclients.com . I'm also learning about google.com/sktool. I believe it's an effective tool geared for Adwords specifically.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Wow, he has a testimonial from Perry Marshall. Impressive :hl:

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Quick interruption: Sparlin, what is B&P?

Okay, please return to thread topic, do not want to hijack..

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
B&P = Beer and Pancakes, it's the "unofficial" official Fastlane gathering, there's a few threads about the origin of the name and the gathering itself.

As far as targeted traffic, as I am starting an online store myself, this is a very important topic as there are hundreds of scams out there that promise "traffic" or "backlinks" something that I have come to find that you have to do yourself first, then find a way to automate as no 2 websites or markets are the same.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
You need to talk to Rakona. His expertise is PPC optimization and analysis. I only know this because he gave a great presentation at B & P this year. His website is clicksandclients.com . I'm also learning about google.com/sktool. I believe it's an effective tool geared for Adwords specifically.

I just had a very quick look at the website that you mention. On the homepage one statement about the lack of results from PPC ads in the Google content network the drew my attention.
It is also my experience that the clicks that bring in sales are not the clicks from ads shown in the content network. In terms of cost, in my case advertising in the content network accounts for approximately 25% of the PPC cost.
So, based on my own experience and the remark on clicksandclients.com I will cancel advertising in the content network.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I just had a very quick look at the website that you mention. On the homepage one statement about the lack of results from PPC ads in the Google content network the drew my attention.
It is also my experience that the clicks that bring in sales are not the clicks from ads shown in the content network. In terms of cost, in my case advertising in the content network accounts for approximately 25% of the PPC cost.
So, based on my own experience and the remark on clicksandclients.com I will cancel advertising in the content network.

I'm really not qualified to address that decision. I would discuss it with someone in that field to see if there are better options. I'll PM Rakona to see if he has anything to add to this subject.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

That is a very wise move. Just about everyone that i know that uses PPC for targetted converting traffic does exactly this.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
We work w/Jumplfly for PPC.

We have only one product. They have written and manage about 600 keyword phrases (total, counting broad match, regional, national, etc) for that one product.

But after talking w/Rakona at the B&P, we'll be working w/him on some stuff.

Do contact rakona. When I first spoke to him for 5 minutes, he blew my head off w/specific ideas for lead gen and marketing our product. Very, very creative guy. :thumbsup:

-Russ H.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I will cancel advertising in the content network.

That is a bit like my Grandma would say, "throwing the baby out with the bath-water."

The content network can be very profitable, but you must take the time to understand it and get to know what works.

When people are searching on Google (the "search" network) they are actively looking for a solution to a problem, therefore they are further along in there buying decision... so of course they convert better.

On the content network, your ads are shown on pages like this forum, so you have a crowd not focused on finding a solution to a problem, but more in exploration mode.

In order to be successful on the content network you must solve this problem in two ways:

1. your ads must be much more "attention grabbing" otherwise no one will even notice them. To get this right requires a lot of experimentation
  2. your ads must take your visitors to a landing page that is more informational than salesy. Content network clickers are not ready to be sold to, think of them more as leads than buyers, and begin the process of building a relationship to gentle guide them towards the "wallet out" stage. Giving away a free report, or something similar works as a content network landing page.
Trust me there are people making huge cash from content network ads, but you can't take the same approach as with the search network.

Rakona

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Jul 14, 2009
Wow, thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Hard to say exactly what's going on here without seeing more, but let's cover some basics. I'm going to guess adcopy isn't the issue here just yet. Probably a structure/setup problem to start.

I'm assuming you already have tightly focused groups with tightly focused keywords and tightly focused ads.

Example from my BP presentation was:

Red shoes adgroup, gets red shoes keywords, gets red shoes ad & goes to the red shoes page.

Green shoes adgroup, gets green shoes keywords.... you get the point.

Don't turn content network off yet, it's extremely powerful, just probably setup wrong. First things first though, You are tracking conversions right????

1. Are you getting some sales from content network? Sounds like you are?

2. Do you have separate campaigns for the content network vs. your search campaigns?

3. Are you letting Google automatically place your ads, or are you using any of the managed placements? Both are ok, but managed placements overtime give you a little more control.

4. Do you have any site exclusions setup for crummy content sites?

Two ways to do this

a. Click on a campaign or adgroup, select a decent time range (I'd just start with all-time if you've not done this before) Click on the 'networks' tab, scroll down to "content" heading. Under that you should see, managed placements & automatic placements.

Click 'show details' next to automatic placements and see where your ad is showing up. This won't give everything, but it's a start. Click on ones you don't want and hit 'exclude placements' Click on ones you do want, & convert them into managed placements. This way you can adjust bids on that site based on your cost per conversion.

b. Old school method is to take line from your ad that's somewhat unique, meaning not many other ads out there will say "get your purple banannas", put the whole line in quotes, put that in the search bar in Google and voila, that's where your ad is showing up.

Let's see what's cookin' there before we delve any deeper.

Can you give us any more details about what you're selling?

Jason!

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Feb 28, 2009
You might find a retargeting campaign combined with adwords will produce even better results. By advertising to only the most qualified visitors, (the ones who have come to your site but did not purchase), your CPA will drop huge. 400% is the average from campaigns I have tested this with so far. :cool:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.