The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Target beginners or more advanced learners?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Sepp

New Contributor
Jul 27, 2020
Germany
Hi everyone,

while learning something new, I always noticed that there is much more information for beginners compared to already advanced learners.

I took a look at the javascript courses on udemy. The distribution by the time of writing this post is:

Number of courses:

Beginner: 408
Advanced: 146
Expert: 15

In Addition: In the beginner-courses are many more students enrolled.

It makes sense because there are more beginners and most of them won't become experts.
Also: Experts can often figure stuff out by themselves and don't need courses.

Does it make sense to create a course for experts?

The number of possible students is much lower and I think it is much more work.
On the flip side: You don't have so much competition:

What do you guys think?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

A. Russell

Contributor
Jun 2, 2020
Thailand
Perhaps rather than worrying about the level of the students, you could try to find something that people have frustration with that not many courses are offered for. As an example, I'm currently having a headache with app authentication and securing a PHP API. Perhaps there is some specific mission critical thing like that you can target in a JavaScript course?

OP
OP
S

Sepp

New Contributor
Jul 27, 2020
Germany
Perhaps rather than worrying about the level of the students, you could try to find something that people have frustration with that not many courses are offered for. As an example, I'm currently having a headache with app authentication and securing a PHP API. Perhaps there is some specific mission critical thing like that you can target in a JavaScript course?
Hi and thanks for the feedback.

It's funny that you mention securing APIs. I thought about exactly this problem. There are no good resources where this is well described, at least I couldn't find them.
This has potential but on the other side, I think its too niche for a full-blown course. Maybe better suited for a youtube series.

I also like your approach to making a course specific to a problem and not like an "Intro to language-X" or similar.

Best regards

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox' Web School's "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
This year has been quite crazy so far, and a lot of people have reached out to ask me if web...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Got it several weeks ago and have listened to it several times now. I've definitely met both...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Out of curiosity, what types of businesses are you advising on? (I read this whole thread...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom