The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Suggested order for org startup + Trademarking?

stevenmac2

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Aug 28, 2007
US
Hi All,

I need to seek your advice regarding an organization startup that my wife is pursuing. Her intentions are that she wants to trademark the name and also the logo to protect it before going mainstream. Here are my questions if you can answer each appropriately to keep responses organized:

1) Will we need to file two trademark applications? One for the name itself and then another for the logo? Can we do this ourselves or would we need trademark attorneys to carry it out?

2) We will need have a designer to create the logo she is wanting. Once we pay for it, is it by default the rights to use the logo are ours to use for branding/website and for submission for trademarking? Or will we need to have them sign a release/contract understanding that we purchased all creative rights & copyright to use it for our purposes? Any insight for those of you who have used a logo commericially or trademarked a works from someone else that created on your behalf?

3) Order of attack to get her established. What must come first or can be done in parallel? I will put an order up and please correct if we can adjust or do something in parallel (or if there is something else more we need to do):

Side question: What should come first - actual trademark submission or business registration so as to protect the name? Is it requirement that we are established a business/organization first before we can submit for the trademark? Her main concern is that she wants to protect the name before it is used and put out to the public or associated with another type of organizations/businesses.

1) Submit Trademark Application(s) depending if we need one or two for the name and/or logo first to protect it?
2) Create Organization entity structure for liability protection/separation by stating the organization (with TM --> same for below with any other filings)?
3) Get Federal Tax Idenfitication Number
3) Submit for local/state licensing. Any other forms to be recognized nationally in US?

Thank you for your expertise and assistance... Steven

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
Not sure if you have already spoken to an attorney about your best course of action. I can't answer all your questions but for number one, you would definately need to trademark the name AND the logo. While you can certainly apply for the trademark yourself, if you do not know what you are doing or do not understand how to use the resources that are available, spend the money and hire an attorney.

My husband had someone create his logo for his business but he owns it. I am not sure what the terms of the agreement were so I cannot definitively say that all designers do the same.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.