The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trademarking

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
I've been building an online business for 3 months (no, it's not a blog/dropshipping website). I predict it will take me another 3-4 months to complete.
I was wondering, should I register the trademark right away or wait for the first customers/users before?

I've read it takes 12-18 months to file a US trademark so it's pretty much a gamble because if your service explodes the probability of someone stealing your logo/name/brand gets higher and higher. Of course, I'm not saying it will explode after 2 days I release my website, but growth is more often than not unexpected and non-linear.

I don't know if this counts as action-faking or thinking of a problem I don't have, but I don't know any good company who has not trademarked their business from the very beginning. I think there's a good correlation between someone trademarking their company and the success they acquire. Trademarking your business is a sign of commitment to making it work, whilst waiting for customers to arrive and only then trademarking screams "I don't fully believe my business will take off so I'm just taking chances and waiting". Obviously, this is just my opinion and more of subconscious thought.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Whether or not you finish up registering your trademark you should immediately stake a claim to it by using the symbol .
That symbol serves as a warning that you own the mark and will defend it against trespassers. It's not as secure as a registered mark, but it does enable you to claim first use.

Walter
P.S. I am not providing legal advice.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I can help you with trademarking if you can do it through the state of Texas.

I applied for (and successfully received) my own trademark for my brand with no attorney or other help.

I’m sure I can do the same for you.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Whether or not you finish up registering your trademark you should immediately stake a claim to it by using the symbol .
That symbol serves as a warning that you own the mark and will defend it against trespassers. It's not as secure as a registered mark, but it does enable you to claim first use.

Walter
P.S. I am not providing legal advice.
Thank you. Wondering if the ® counts as well?

I can help you with trademarking if you can do it through the state of Texas.

I applied for (and successfully received) my own trademark for my brand with no attorney or other help.

I’m sure I can do the same for you.
I'm based in Europe unfortunately but was thinking of trademarking for the US anyway

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Thank you. Wondering if the ® counts as well?

The ® symbol cannot be used unless the trademark is registered. Using it could be classed as fraud.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.