The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Success Story: Jim McIngvale

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
Here's a story about a furniture salesman in my hometown of Houston. Everyone who lives there know's who Jim McInvale is. He's know as "Matress Mack" around Houston and he's been all over TV screaming "Gallery Furniture Really Will Save You Money!" since I was a little kid.

A few years back he paid some insane amount of money to have a 30 second slot during the Superbowl, and there was also once a NCAA galleryfurniture.com bowl game.

He started his furniture store back in 1981 from almost nothing. Today, his store does $250 million in annual sales. I read somewhere that it's one of the largest grossing private retail business in the U.S. today. In his store he has a private collection for viewing. He has a Ferrari F40, one of Evis' cars, Princess Diana's jewelry, one of Jeff Gordons winning cars and some other neat items. He also owns some multi million dollar race horses.

He likes tennis and owns a private club called the Westside Tennis Club. Each year, out of his own pocket, he pays top tennis pros like Andre Agassi to show up and play against each other, like a kid would throw two scorpions in a small cage and go crazy watching them battle against each other. He gets pissed and rants on TV if the top two players don't make it to the finals to play against each other. I guess I would too if I spend millions hoping to see that match, and it does not happen.

He does a lot of good for the community too.

Funny thing is, he still works at the store today. He has a desk right there at the front door and is usually standing there. You can walk right up and talk to him. He makes his fortune by getting you to finance furniture at high interest rates. He has EXTREMELY high pressure sales teams. These people make dealing with car salesmen seem like a pleasant experience. You won't get 10 feet inside the door before being approached. Within 30 seconds you are asked for your driver license so they can run a credit report.

http://www.freeenterpriseland.com/BOOK/MATTRESSMAC.html

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
He makes his fortune by getting you to finance furniture at high interest rates. He has EXTREMELY high pressure sales teams. These people make dealing with car salesmen seem like a pleasant experience. You won't get 10 feet inside the door before being approached. Within 30 seconds you are asked for your driver license so they can run a credit report.

I'd like to see that.

Great story.

Rep +

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A very good story showing that hard work precedes success.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Great story! I really enjoyed reading it. This story shows that when you seem to be inches from failure its the time to put all you've got and go for it! For Jim this really paid off. $200 million from one store, that's simply amazing!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dhuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 16, 2007
Though I'm a Houston resident, I haven't been to Gallery Furniture! Then again, my computer desk suits me fine, and that's the only piece of furniture I care about right now. :)

If he really stays behind the desk at the front door, I think I'll have to drop by and we'll try to talk about something other than a finance plan.

Anyways, thanks for a good read Z5!

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
Though I'm a Houston resident, I haven't been to Gallery Furniture! Then again, my computer desk suits me fine, and that's the only piece of furniture I care about right now. :)

If he really stays behind the desk at the front door, I think I'll have to drop by and we'll try to talk about something other than a finance plan.

Anyways, thanks for a good read Z5!

You should visit. Just make sure you know how to say "no", otherwise you will find $7,000 worth of furniture arriving at your house within a few hours.

I have been there twice. He was there both times. He has a "desk" at the front entrance. It more like a podium. He stands there all day telling customers the deal specials and such over a P.A. system and watching the monitors.

His salespeople are seriously aggressive and pushy. You have to make a game of it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.