The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Subscription based model

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
For some I keep seeing this ad about Sprezzabox. So apparently you pay like $20/month and you recieve a box with stuff in it such as ties, watches etc. Then I started going further down the rabbit hole.

Stitchfix-styled clothes
Menlo Park-Styled clothes
Tiege Hanley-Skincare
Lootcrate-Toys based on Pop Culture
Bombfell-Styled clothes for men
Trunk Club-Clothes by Nordstrom
Scentbird-Perfume
Dollar Shave Club-Razors
Netflix-Streming movies and TV Shows

How viable is this subscription model?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
It seems like there is no originality in a lot of these "new" startups. Just replicated biz models non stop. Everyone is trying to do to a podcast, a subscription box company in the same category, creating useless "informative" articles that sell their own products ,etc.. There are a few giants that started it (the biz model) and then all the wantrepreneurs just see the $$$ and want a piece of the action. They use the cookie cutter tactics, saturate the market and provide little or 0 value. The wantrepreneurs don't last while the entrepreneurs that build and grow organically become the giants and the cycle goes on....

Me too. They don't have any F*cking reason to exist, that's why.

I understand the subscription model. But why do it for things you can buy in any store?
Why do it for things I can order online when I need it?

For example, I love the idea behind CandyJapan. You don't need to even click to understand what it is.
You can't find those things outside Japan. People love those things. You wanna try all of them.
The business creates itself.

But no, I don't need F*cking soap delivered to me, thank you very much.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Read “The Automatic Customer”.

Lee H

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Aug 8, 2018
Whether you agree with it or not I think it's here to stay. It makes a great business model for companies, especially if there's no physical product.

Let's face it, if I have a choice between selling you something once, or selling you access to something for a monthly subscription, I'm going to do the latter as it makes my business more secure and levels out my revenue and cashflow.

There's no reason it can't work for physical products too as demonstrated by your examples, depending on the value added by the business.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Obviously the business model is viable and has been around forever in various ways.

The question is does the business model make sense for you or your target market?

99.999% of these subscription boxes/services will NOT go on to become 20/50/100 year old companies...maybe Netflix...but not many others.

Law of effection comes to mind.

rwhyan

The higher, the fewer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Aug 27, 2017
CA
A business model is just the means by which you provide value to people. No business model is inherently "viable" or not.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Read “The Automatic Customer”.

Yup, MRR is the Oil Well.. @Andy Black recommended this to me a few months back and its an eyeopening book and will help you think about your business differently

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.