The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stuck in the decision process of "quitting the job or not"

robertporsche

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 28, 2023
Germany
Hello, my name is Robert. I am from a big city in Germany and I will become 20 years in a few weeks. I am currently doing a so called "IT-training" (I am at 18 of 36 months learning the IT-administrator job. Its not at a university, its working in a office for little money and visiting an IT-school sometimes).

6 months ago, i got into the topics "self-improvement", "business", "escaping the rat-race", etc. I am reading books and listening to podcasts every day (reading MJ Demarcos books right now, I am in love!! Best book on that topic for sure!) and i started hitting the gym.
I lost interest in my IT-training because I am sorrounded with idiots and, more important, I learned about entrepreneurship and escaping the "rat-race"...
I dont want to work in the IT and I dont want to work in a 9-5 in general.
With my updated mindset, i startet my firtst business 4 months ago, its a social media marketing agency. I havent made much progress yet because i am spending around 50 hours a week at the IT-office and spend my weekends with my beautiful girlfriend (I want to make her my fiance soon).
All my friends (slowlane) dont care about financial freedom. My family is filled with 9-5 (slowlane) people. I dont know any people who are on the same road as i am, nor i know people who are successful.
I had the idea of "quitting my IT-training to focus on my business and working a 20h job just to afford food"

Enough introduction.... I am stuck in the decision process of "quitting the job/training or not". This job is taking my energy and time so there is not much left for my business.
When i told my parents about my idea of "quitting my IT-training to focus on my business and working a 20h job just to afford food", they got very angry at me and told me i should finish my training (18 of 36 months left) and AFTER making my business stuff. If i would finish the training, I could work in any IT job around the globe. BUT its still 18 months left...
I can understand their perspective but I feel stuck. Its a hard decision for me. My girlfriend supports me with my business plans and is currently questioning my ambition and strenth. She doesnt like, that i get so influenced by my family. I dont like it too, I am working on that.

Thats why I reach out to you fastlane guys. I would be very thankful for any opinions or recommendations. (I know, its my decision in the end, just want some inspiration from you fastlane people!)

Thank yall for reading and helping! I appriciate it a lot ❤

Greetings from Germany,

Robert

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Don't quit your job. Reference Strategy #92 - The Self Directed Pink Slip Strategy.

Quitting your job is an process, not an event.

Have the following:
1. An existing business with adequate profit margins.
2. At least 6 months of savings to support an owners paycheck.
3. Scale and Growth potential.
4. Evidence of a productracey.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Use your time before and after work and the time in the mornings on weekends. That should give you another 40 hours or more to get more momentum.

You might like these previous discussions:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Instead of looking at the IT training as a waste of time, look for ways that training can improve your social media marketing company. It may not be direct. It can make the training a lot more engaging. I'm always amazed at how little companies focus on IT, when poor infrastructure can idle even a large company.

robertporsche

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 28, 2023
Germany
Don't quit your job. Reference Strategy #92 - The Self Directed Pink Slip Strategy.

Quitting your job is an process, not an event.

Have the following:
1. An existing business with adequate profit margins.
2. At least 6 months of savings to support an owners paycheck.
3. Scale and Growth potential.
4. Evidence of a productracey.
Thanks for the advice! You defenetly got some good points. I will think about it.

robertporsche

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 28, 2023
Germany
Use your time before and after work and the time in the mornings on weekends. That should give you another 40 hours or more to get more momentum.

You might like these previous discussions:

Thank you my friend! I will read those discussions!

robertporsche

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 28, 2023
Germany
Instead of looking at the IT training as a waste of time, look for ways that training can improve your social media marketing company. It may not be direct. It can make the training a lot more engaging. I'm always amazed at how little companies focus on IT, when poor infrastructure can idle even a large company.
Thanks, thats a good pov on the topic! I will remember that!

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
Unless you are the next Steve Jobs, and chances are you aren't, I don't recommend quitting your job.

Do you have a business that makes at least a livable income?
Do you have any experience in any domain, usually acquired through a JOB?

If the answer is negative to any of the above, then don't be a prick.

Written by ChatGPT.

Djo

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Oct 31, 2022
Tbh man 18 weeks are nothing and you'll finish training in no time, then you'll have all the time to focus on your business. In my case I'm in second year out of 5 in college and everytime I go to uni I feel dead inside. I'm working on generating some income with a skill or a business so I can be independent and drop out. I think that once you have a stable income you can do whatever you want, otherwise just keep doing what you have until you figure that part out

robertporsche

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 28, 2023
Germany
Tbh man 18 weeks are nothing and you'll finish training in no time, then you'll have all the time to focus on your business. In my case I'm in second year out of 5 in college and everytime I go to uni I feel dead inside. I'm working on generating some income with a skill or a business so I can be independent and drop out. I think that once you have a stable income you can do whatever you want, otherwise just keep doing what you have until you figure that part out
thank you for your humble opinion my guy!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...