The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stock Market Discussion, Chat About the Latest Market Action

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
A successful trader has more wins than losses, that's the game.

They have more profits, but they might have more losing trades than winning trades. Trend Traders have lots of small losing trades as they try to get on the next big trend. Most trading is either "take a lot of little lumps and hope for a payday" or "take a lot of small profits and hope there are no black-swans". It's about how you like to handle your losses.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Markets usually bottom out when all the bad news is known, and new bad news doesn't drive the market lower. I don't think we've heard all the bad news yet. I don't think they've even gotten started. There are huge financial issues that simply are not discussed. Maybe they will now.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Markets usually bottom out when all the bad news is known, and new bad news doesn't drive the market lower.

I do think heading forward the market will take bad news as bad news. If it really does look forward 1 or 1.5 years in time. Although I don’t think we will see a “V” type recovery or bottom. I do think we will see this drag on with some time. The Fed basically chose a recession over more inflation. Now, me personally I think we will see both. Stagflation of course.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Something that I am trying to wrap my head around is that the dollar feels like the most stable asset right now (especially compared to metals this confuses me). Doesn't that indicate that investors expect a credit crunch (deflationary ... well, maybe not quite a shock ... but ...), where it is hard to get your hands on money?

On the other hand, we talk about the effects of easy money in the near past / too much liquidity creating inflation.

Sure, one argument is that it will be harder to get money at low interest rates, but even if we reach 5% for 10yr bonds ... is that a problem for companies with even just average profitability? Are there just too many unprofitable businesses and this is mostly a bet on banks getting in trouble with too many credits going bad?

But this is where my head explodes. Will these effects cancel each other out to some degree? Are the recession fears only justified when you look at the impediments for international growth? Won't domestic demand be okay because people have set aside money? It is mostly a lack of supply that drives prices up, right?

Shouldn't it be possible to predict what the herd will do, soon? I think everything is in place for some pump-and-dumps. Not sure what it will look like, but I would not be surprised if we saw some fomo asset class hyped in the news, soon.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
Something that I am trying to wrap my head around is that the dollar feels like the most stable asset right now (especially compared to metals this confuses me). Doesn't that indicate that investors expect a credit crunch (deflationary ... well, maybe not quite a shock ... but ...), where it is hard to get your hands on money?

On the other hand, we talk about the effects of easy money in the near past / too much liquidity creating inflation.

Sure, one argument is that it will be harder to get money at low interest rates, but even if we reach 5% for 10yr bonds ... is that a problem for companies with even just average profitability? Are there just too many unprofitable businesses and this is mostly a bet on banks getting in trouble with too many credits going bad?

But this is where my head explodes. Will these effects cancel each other out to some degree? Are the recession fears only justified when you look at the impediments for international growth? Won't domestic demand be okay because people have set aside money? It is mostly a lack of supply that drives prices up, right?

Shouldn't it be possible to predict what the herd will do, soon? I think everything is in place for some pump-and-dumps. Not sure what it will look like, but I would not be surprised if we saw some fomo asset class hyped in the news, soon.
I'm trying to understand what's going on too. Wasn't high inflation supposed to pump markets up because there's more (worthless) money circulating that is better invested in stocks?

I clearly don't understand macroeconomics and the stock market :D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I'm trying to understand what's going on too. Wasn't high inflation supposed to pump markets up because there's more (worthless) money circulating that is better invested in stocks?

It depends where this inflation comes from.
If its demand-side inflation, then it is good.
If it is inflation from suffocated supply chain (ie cost side)...then bad.

See how China does the supply chain part...it has kept a zero-covid policy for now.
Shanghai cases recently got close to nil so hopefully they open up soon. But who knows if they will do shutdowns again to stop the next spread?

Already folks are suspecting the Chinese are doing lockdowns to hurt foreign business in an act of financial warfare. But I think its shooting your foot too. Hence the recent split between Xi and Li Keqiang (a parallel of Deng and Mao?)

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

There are three markets in the economy, goods and service, financial market and labor market.

Each market has their own dynamic, they are also indirectly linked with one another.

Inflation this time is caused by the supply disruption globally by covid and Ukraine war. And there is nothing the U.S. gov could do much about it.

So the Fed is trying the indirect approach, tightening monetary supply in the financial market. When U.S. raises rate, global capital flows back to U.S. because there is a higher return on capital (savings and bonds)/new debt.

This will cause U.S. dollar to appreciate against foreign currencies. Foreign suppliers who provide your supermarket items based on their own domestic cost and hence they price it based on how much it cost them in local currencies. As a result from an American consumer point of view, imported goods are getting cheaper because of stronger US dollar.

But the side effect of this high interest on the financial market is that risk assets (stocks that pays no interest) and old debt that were issued at lower interest become less attractive in the financial market. Most people’s retirement money are in it. If rate hike is too aggressive it will wipe out the wealth of stocks investors.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
Inflation this time is caused by the supply disruption globally by covid and Ukraine war. And there is nothing the U.S. gov could do much about it.

That's on the news alright. Thanks god for Putin, now we have someone to blame. It probably has nothing to do with trillions of USD printed in the last two years.

Besides, this thread is from April 2021, not sure if the Ukraine war was ongoing then?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
That's on the news alright. Thanks god for Putin, now we have someone to blame. It probably has nothing to do with trillions of USD printed in the last two years.

Besides, this thread is from April 2021, not sure if the Ukraine war was ongoing then?
The government has always been printing money, but pre covid inflation was manageable because the money never flow into the goods and service market.

Low interest rate was capitalized by corporate debt issuance to buy back their own stocks, causing higher stock prices.

So the pre covid experience was high asset prices but inflation that was never so serious. The world is running at high production capacity. Shale oil lowered oil price. It doesn’t matter how much money Fed prints China can churn out low cost trinkets to fill up her own warehouse.

Covid changed the games in two ways first there is global supply disruption that is not yet recovered. Secondly because of Covid relief packages for the first time normal people get to enjoy the “benefit of money printing”. The downside is inflation on everyday goods.

If you hand money to rich people stocks and art prices go up. If you hand money to average people, bread and haircut prices go up.

Ukraine war is a factor that accelerated this.

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az

Dont forget... When you are talking about "the dollar", you are no longer looking at just the USA economy. The question becomes about comparing economies. Our inflation is high... but so is Europe's, so it's not a negative factor on the world stage.

It is not possible to predict what the herd will do. It may be possible to do so at a rate slightly better than random and if you have the skills to do that you can become a millionaire/billionaire with this skillset.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
I wonder until when the Fed will play the rates hike game before backing off and going BRRRRRRRR again. Having a recession on your hands is not good for politics, but hey maybe they'll convince people it's because of Putin.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I don't understand why Twitter hasn't crashed further, after these latest Project Veritas videos. Especially the one where the guy says their ideology support prevents them from being profitable, not to mention the one where the guy said he worked "4 hours last quarter". Maybe people expect Elon will take over and clean them up. Given how it is going, I wouldn't be completely surprised if they get destroyed during the verification phase, and Elon walks away and joins a competitor.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
More and more things are starting to resoundingly say "recession" -- layoffs, inflation, lowered earnings...

A lot of discretionary consumer stocks have been hit hard. The consumer regime has changed in that they no longer buy what they “want” but what they “need”. Target earnings were crap.

Not to mention oil prices are signaling a recession. Even in a recession, I don’t think we will see cheaper gas prices. Similar to 1973, 1991 or 2001.

The market I think has not priced in a recession even though there’s a preponderance of red flags(The 2-10 yield curve, consumer spending, low jobs growth but huge wage growth etc). Everyone is probably just waiting for that bottom so they can buy the dip it seems and not seeing the red flags.

Last edited:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
G

GuestR401x3

I hope the government doesn't start printing and mailing out money again. With the 2022 and 2024 elections coming, I sorta expect it.
Let's build the mountain higher that way we can fall harder *sarcasm*.

Matt33

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Apr 14, 2013
FL
Just dropping a few interesting pictures into the thread

Attachments

• US-margin-debt-2022-05-13-annotated.png
    US-margin-debt-2022-05-13-annotated.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 1653004557697.jpg
    1653004557697.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 1650346950559.png
    1650346950559.png
    510.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 1652063627649.jpg
    1652063627649.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 1650347337633.png
    1650347337633.png
    560.5 KB · Views: 21
  • sgs-cpi.gif
    sgs-cpi.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 1652075249428.png
    1652075249428.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 1653365362058.jpg
    1653365362058.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 1650600503137.png
    1650600503137.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 18

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Well, my guess is that we will see a rally here. Although I don’t think we will bottom until SPX forward PE matches that of NDX. Considering large tech is a big part of SPX.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
One of my favorite risk indicators for credit markets is the “TED spread”. It’s basically the difference between the “risk-free rate” and the rate banks demand from each other. It’s been a good indicator for recessions once it starts acting funny. And it has been acting funny lately.

What Are Financial Market Stress Indexes Showing?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

One of my favorite risk indicators for credit markets is the “TED spread”. It’s basically the difference between the “risk-free rate” and the rate banks demand from each other. It’s been a good indicator for recessions once it starts acting funny. And it has been acting funny lately.

What Are Financial Market Stress Indexes Showing?
The FRED chart for this spread says "discontinued," any idea why?

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
I guess the million dollar question is wether the Fed will back off and go BRRRRRRRR again or not.

My thesis is that they will, like they did at the end of 2018 when the S&P lost 25% after they hiked rates. Having a recession on their hands is politically unacceptable. Maybe by the end of the year ?

What do you guys think ?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Having a recession on their hands is politically unacceptable.
Maybe I am too blackpilled, but I think it depends on who's in office.

If they like the people in power, they will prevent recession at all costs. Like if it's a typical establishment candidate...

If they hate the person in office, they will force recession on purpose with lockdowns and stuff... Just my opinion.

They're all partisan now.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
I guess the million dollar question is wether the Fed will back off and go BRRRRRRRR again or not.

My thesis is that they will, like they did at the end of 2018 when the S&P lost 25% after they hiked rates. Having a recession on their hands is politically unacceptable. Maybe by the end of the year ?

What do you guys think ?
My take is that this is about getting the China bubble to burst, so I don't think in terms of "will they" or "won't they".

Once they do open the floodgates again, then I will assume that they are pretty confident that they have landed the knockout blow.

I am sure the powers that be are willing to pay quite a price to make sure the USA stays at the economic top.

Matt33

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Apr 14, 2013
FL

What do you guys think ?

Very high inflation can cause a recession. Looking at the charts, it is looking like quite the bubble, even without inflation being considered.

As far as the actual inflation rate, it is extremely high. It is not 8%, it is 16-18%. The total inflation since March 2020 is 30%. We are heading for recession either way. Why would we push ourselves closer to a Weimer-America scenario, when we could try to fight inflation?

Kicking the can down the road is the political choice of every politician, but I'm not sure if Weimar-America is a good way to kick that can. market-cap-to-gdp.png

One important thing to consider, is that we have lied about the actual inflation numbers for a very long time. Why? It is so that we can export our national debt to other countries, and pay a paltry interest rate on that debt, while it de-values at a much higher rate. A normal year's inflation will be "3%", yet the actual inflation is always closer to 7%.

alt-cpi-home2.gif

Where does this inflation go, where does it come from? Most of it is money that is created from loans. Banks hold 10%, and create the other 90% out of thin air, every time you get a loan. Real estate, businesses (especially large ones), assets, etc. Assets have a bubble cycle because of this. Right now the stock market is historically over valued, and so is real estate.

They can keep the party going longer if they make the decision to pursue something between where we are now, and Weimar America. The dollar will be dramatically devalued, and people who hold fixed interest rate loans at rock bottom APRs will win. I'm not sure where that will come back to bite us, because things always balance out in some way. Will we have a dramatic real estate price correction?

There are a lot of people who have over leveraged themselves to grow their RE portfolio at these insanely high prices. A lot of baby boomers will have to downsize, or lose their houses. They might panic as the stock market devalues further. Fear, and emotions, will cause them to sell what they have left, so that they can still have something to retire on.

income to price.png

Recessions are like Dominos. Some things fall first, and others, like layoffs, company downsizings, bankruptcies, come next. When real estate foreclosures flood the market....
It took a few years for RE to bottom out from 2006.

I am not sure if the hurricane on the horizon is a category 3, 4 or, 5, but I am preparing for a storm. Gold, Silver, and ETF short positions, are the potential opportunities I have identified for now. Buying cheap long-term assets will be the big opportunity. Good luck timing the bottom, but good deals are good deals.

Attachments

• price to income.png
    price to income.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Big inflation report tomorrow, I think I’m more interested in the “spin” that will be offered than the actual report. The markets, however, will speak the truth as money talks, bullshit talks to CNBC.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.