The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Startup #5: VR Space

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hey Fastlaners,
So I normally don't create my progress threads until I launch to market with a working product and then talk about the progress and things I had to accomplish afterwards.

However, this time, I want to switch things up. I'm going to post small note posts DURING my execution of getting the app completed and launch ready. I think this will be important to see, especially for my SaaS people as that is usually the biggest hurdle to cross.

To begin, I will have to keep the name and exact functions of this new SaaS app a secret. We don't need to know the exact functions or name because building & launching a working SaaS is virtually the same exact process every time.

Once the app is ready for launch; I'll change up this thread title accordingly and edit this 'placeholder' post!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted50669

Hey Fastlaners,
So I normally don't create my progress threads until I launch to market with a working product and then talk about the progress and things I had to accomplish afterwards.

However, this time, I want to switch things up. I'm going to post small note posts DURING my execution of getting the app completed and launch ready. I think this will be important to see, especially for my SaaS people as that is usually the biggest hurdle to cross.

To begin, I will have to keep the name and exact functions of this new SaaS app a secret. We don't need to know the exact functions or name because building & launching a working SaaS is virtually the same exact process every time.

Once the app is ready for launch; I'll change up this thread title accordingly and edit this 'placeholder' post!
I'm a month out from my app release, looking forward to the thread!

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
So what I like to do first is brain dump every single thing into paper. I use a notepad on my phone and anytime anything comes up about this idea (marketing, app, users, etc.) I jot it down.. usually while showering or driving is when the best ideas come.

Wireframe:
With that above said, I have a rough sketch paper wireframe of the app's functionalities just from the brain dumps. For the past two weeks, I used Ruby on Rails and already started hammering away at creating a non-working exact version of the app. Right now, I am applying a "skin" to it, so the next days I will be scouring for pre-made back end UI templates that I really really like.

Since I am adding custom design tweaks to whatever template I choose, I am looking for something that has the general overall feel I am going for, then I can fine tune it. Important parts: hierarchy, navigation, feel. So I that the app's functions will fit perfectly. The rest like color, font sizes, buttons, etc. I will totally change up.

Homepages:
At the same time, right now I am in the same process of looking for templates for the public front-end website. I will likely have to customize a ton on this for parts like the blog, about us, features page, demo, etc. etc. etc. so as long as it fits.

Notes:
In addition to templates, I look at market leader's websites in other completely different niches for sites and designs I really like and will fit in well into my own niche. I also do not look at any other competitor's apps.

This way, my backend and website and everything is fresh and new to what's currently available in the space.

D

Deleted50669

So what I like to do first is brain dump every single thing into paper. I use a notepad on my phone and anytime anything comes up about this idea (marketing, app, users, etc.) I jot it down.. usually while showering or driving is when the best ideas come.

Wireframe:
With that above said, I have a rough sketch paper wireframe of the app's functionalities just from the brain dumps. For the past two weeks, I used Ruby on Rails and already started hammering away at creating a non-working exact version of the app. Right now, I am applying a "skin" to it, so the next days I will be scouring for pre-made back end UI templates that I really really like.

Since I am adding custom design tweaks to whatever template I choose, I am looking for something that has the general overall feel I am going for, then I can fine tune it. Important parts: hierarchy, navigation, feel. So I that the app's functions will fit perfectly. The rest like color, font sizes, buttons, etc. I will totally change up.

Homepages:
At the same time, right now I am in the same process of looking for templates for the public front-end website. I will likely have to customize a ton on this for parts like the blog, about us, features page, demo, etc. etc. etc. so as long as it fits.

Notes:
In addition to templates, I look at market leader's websites in other completely different niches for sites and designs I really like and will fit in well into my own niche. I also do not look at any other competitor's apps.

This way, my backend and website and everything is fresh and new to what's currently available in the space.
uimovement.com is a good source of design inspiration too

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Marketing:
Many people building SaaS apps think Build Product and that's all, but in reality, one should think about marketing more and start building the pieces and foundations as soon as the app is being built. This is often what decides successful traction or no/super slow traction when building and launching SaaS apps.

With that said, I've already got a solid strategy mapped out, etc. But I have already gone into buying equipment to produce the content and will begin working on content at the same time I work on the app and homepages. Aka a shit ton of videos lol.

Also, always always constantly brain storming ways to "growth hack" (if that's even a term) the app into traction.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Estimated Time To Launch:
Completed App Wireframe: ~100 hours

Developing Wireframe To Work: ~40 hours

Homepages: ~80 hours (includes blog, static pages, community, etc. etc.)

Video Content: ~100 hours or more

Timeline:
1. Now to June: Wireframe and Homepages

2. June to July: Outsource Development of Wireframe to Working Version

3. June to July: Video Content (begin as soon as the outsource development begins)

4. July to August: Revisions of initial app, polish, fix, etc.

5. August: Possible Launch

Note:
The work never really stops, so by "completing" means to have enough done to advance to the next stage. Development/revisions and video content will be a never-ending process, but there will be a point where things will be "enough to launch". This exact point is mis-leading and it often moves around throughout the process.. so sometimes you feel like it just needs a few more things before you can launch (when you should really just go ahead and launch) and other times, you feel like it is ready to launch when it really isn't.

Usually with SaaS, the second is usually the best route. Unless your minimum viable product is literally complete 100% poo compared to competitors, but if that's the case, I would re-think and make sure that space isn't too big of a tall order to tackle for a startup SaaS unless you have some profounding ways of marketing some angles that isn't there yet.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Care to elaborate a little about what you will be doing in the VR space, or what needs you will fulfill. I am getting into the same space with hardware, so maybe there is possibility for collaboration ;)

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Care to elaborate a little about what you will be doing in the VR space, or what needs you will fulfill. I am getting into the same space with hardware, so maybe there is possibility for collaboration ;)

Sure thing, Pm sent!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.