The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting your own Customs brokerage

cosimnot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 7, 2016
Hello,
I'm wondering if there are any Customs brokers out there that have started their own business that can help me out? I passed my Customs Broner exam back in October 2014. Customs finally called me last week and said my license has been approved and is on its way. Should be here later this week..

My question is that now I'm about to get it, what do I need to do in order to start my own business? I have a website and will be working on SEO for that, but what sort of licenses or programs do I need? I work at a brokerage now and they do everything electronically. Can you use these if your doing things on your own and does anyone know roughly how much one of those costs? I understand that in order to get a national permit and to start doing RLF entries that one must first do 10 local entries through your district port. Can these be done electronically or do they have to be done manually? Basically any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated and when things get set up I'll keep any generosity in mind! (In respect to some reduced entry fees!!)

Thanks,
Patrick

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

cosimnot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 7, 2016
Anyone?

Hello,
I'm wondering if there are any Customs brokers out there that have started their own business that can help me out? I passed my Customs Broner exam back in October 2014. Customs finally called me last week and said my license has been approved and is on its way. Should be here later this week..

My question is that now I'm about to get it, what do I need to do in order to start my own business? I have a website and will be working on SEO for that, but what sort of licenses or programs do I need? I work at a brokerage now and they do everything electronically. Can you use these if your doing things on your own and does anyone know roughly how much one of those costs? I understand that in order to get a national permit and to start doing RLF entries that one must first do 10 local entries through your district port. Can these be done electronically or do they have to be done manually? Basically any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated and when things get set up I'll keep any generosity in mind! (In respect to some reduced entry fees!!)

Thanks,
Patrick

HITO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 2, 2017
California
Hi Patrick,
Did you start your own customs brokerage office? i just passed April 2017 customs exam, I'm having the same questions that you had last year. How do I start up a customs brokerage office? How was the process in obtaining your customs license?

abelbelo69

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 25, 2019
Hi Patrick,
Did you start your own customs brokerage office? i just passed April 2017 customs exam, I'm having the same questions that you had last year. How do I start up a customs brokerage office? How was the process in obtaining your customs license?
hi
I have my license this year, it look like a have the same question. not much help is found online on how you can open your own office and neither those that are established do not help

abelbelo69

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 25, 2019
hi
I have my license this year, it look like a have the same question. not much help is found online on how you can open your own office and neither those that are established do not help

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Sounds like an opportunity to teach people how to open their own customs brokerage.

Or maybe it's pretty straightforward:

1) Work for another brokerage to find out how much they're charging and how they operate.
2) Figure out a way to acquire clients.

It'd be the same as starting a B2B "accounting" firm or something similar. A "freight forwarding" company. A B2B "law office".

Basically you have to figure out your own system for acquiring clients. Operation wise, you either gain industry experience, hire a consultant, or learn on the job.

Considering that no one comes back here to ever post about what they learned, my guess is that whatever knowledge they were missing they quickly acquired after starting, getting in the trenches, and learning.

Sometimes you have to go in blind and hope you figure it out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.