The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Start Your Own Custom Membership Site

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly

Do you have an idea for a membership site or social network but you don’t know where to start?

Have you tried outsourcing the development of a complex interactive site but failed? Or are you currently outsourcing the project and not getting anywhere?

Do you want to build a membership site around a particular skill or niche?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions then you can probably use my help. This marketplace posting is advertising the opportunity for you to start a your own membership site/platform. I can set you up with an extremely powerful membership site in under 1-3 weeks (depending upon your customization needs).

I spent over three years and thousands of dollars developing the source code from scratch with another member on this forum. I currently use the software to power two of my membership sites, both of which are in completely different markets with completely different goals and outcomes.

Before you continue reading, allow me to get a few things straight.

This is not:
  • A source code clone. I own 100% rights. I have never authorized anybody to sell this service or the code.
  • I screen all potential clients before I sell.
  • This is not a Word Press plugin. If you only need a Word Press plugin then stop reading now, as there are plenty of good WP plugins out there.
  • This is not some Drupal theme that you’ll find on themeforest or template monster. Everything is built from scratch and hosted on your own servers.
  • I do not commercially sell this service. I usually wait for people to find me. This is the first public offering and it’s only available to members of this forum at the moment.
  • No, I don’t have a website that gives more details.
I believe that this is the most flexible and scalable membership software on the market. But before I explain why, let me give some examples of how it can be used:

Example Uses:
  • Membership site built around your business
  • Membership site built around your skills or products.
  • Membership platform built around a particular niche (investing, cars, business, entrepreneurship, education, politics etc.)
  • Two sided market that brings two or more user groups together.
  • Social networks (dating, professional networking, basically anything that has a network effect)

How this service works (the short version)
You start by contacting me and telling me a little about what you need the software for. If I can help you then we will talk more.

Next, we’ll plan everything out and I’ll get you setup as fast as possible. The setup process includes establishing your server, giving you access to core files and the databases, complete front-end customization. You don’t need any first hand knowledge in code.

So it’s not an out of the box solution?
It depends on how you look at it. It’s out of the box in the sense that the entire framework and features are built. But you can’t just plug it into a server and expect it to work. The site needs to be configured on a server and then customized to fit your business model. 90% of the site is ready, and final 10% is all about the font-end customization, which means dealing with some html, css, and php files. But don’t worry; we do all of the technical stuff for you!

That’s the beauty of this service. The site itself is ready to go, but at the same time we can do a deeper level of customization to you make your online business completely than all of the others.

The benefits of doing this:

I can help you get to the market faster:

At this point you have two choices:

1) Build a product yourself and go through a long and costly development process (I did this, it’s not fun)
or...
2) Bypass 90% of the development process and let me help you get setup within weeks so you can get your fist sale. Web development is hard and marketing is just as hard, if not harder. If I can help people speed up development and shortcut the learning curve then I'm a little happier.

Idea validation and scale:
This is a great way to validate your idea without spending so much time in development. The framework is extremely scalable. We will have no problem adding new features after you validate the idea.

There are things that you didn’t think of yet:
I have been through the trenches and I guarantee that there are things that you didn’t think of yet. For instance, how will you take online payments and where will you find a merchant who won’t turn you down? How will you drive traffic to the site? If you take payments then how will you setup permission levels so they can be dynamically adjusted from the admin side? Setting up the payment gateway alone took about two months. There are so many critical things that I can help you with…

Traffic:
I have developed this platform through three different versions. I have optimized profiles and registration forms. I have accepted payments and made money each month with my sites. The platform will come somewhat optimized and I can provide a lot of insight about how to build a good funnel with the platform.

Support:
I’ll always be around to provide support (yes, I will live forever). I use this platform myself for two sites, so I’m constantly working with it and improving upon the code.

The features (what it comes with):

- Home pages & static pages – about, help, terms, etc..

- Registration pages & the ability to add multiple user types. The registration will change based on the user type selected.

- User profile pages that can be dynamically updated.

- Sophisticated search feature – The search is extremely advanced. We spent months developing the search technology. It allows for simultaneous filtration and it parses all user profiles.

- Private messages on the site (emails are not exposed).

- Email alerts sent out (when user joins, new private messages, password reset, etc..)

- Google maps api integration

- Profile images

- Cover photo images

- Recommended users

- Promoted profiles in searches

- Promoted messages

- Attachments in messages

- Word Press blog integration

- Ads (AdSense)

- User settings area to update profiles

- You can take payments! 4-tier Payment gateway with authorize.net integration. It can be dynamically adjusted without dealing with code.

- User permissions – You can change user premissions from the admin side. Set locks on searches, set message limits for user groups, etc..

- Mailchip API

- Admin panel at (admin.yourdomain.com) to edit users, delete users, edit auto emails, adjust price points, change user permissions.

- Deep customization – We can build almost anything for an additional cost.

- Google analytics

The technology:
The site is built in php and we use the smarty template engine. Files contain tpl, html, css, j-Query, etc. We host the site on Linode, which we have found to be the best server for the source code.

Price:
This all depends on what you need. The base price includes everything listed above (minus new features). The price also includes my time to set up your server and customize the site for you. It's a flat fee that can be paid upfront or broken up into payments.

Examples:
To protect business models I need to keep specific sites private from search engines. I can share them in a private message.

I have used the software for a two-sided marketplace that connects hiring manager to jobseekers. The site is sort of like LinkedIn. I’m also using the platform to develop a membership website in the education industry. It will be the most advanced membership site within the niche that I'm focusing on.

FAQ:

Can you show me some examples?
Examples can be provided in a private message.

How do I edit front-end code?
You will need to access the files directly to edit the front-end content. I provide support in this area. But if this is something that you can do then you'll get FTP access to your site and a basic html editor will work.

Do I need to know how to code?
No, you do not need to know anything about code. It wouldn’t help to know a little about html and css though.

Why are you doing this?
I helped someone out and I saw a need.

You said that you screen buyers? What are the qualifications?
I only look at a few things.

1. The first is that your an ethical person and you won't take the source code and distribute it all over the internet (if you can even figure out how).

2. The second thing is that you're realistic and not looking for an overnight success. This is a process. I can help you get to the market faster but this will not make you rich over night. If I sense that you're desperate or not willing to put the work into your business then I won't help you.

3. I look at your industry. I never sell to someone who is:
a) is in the same industry as me
and
b) someone who is doing the exact same thing as another client. I don't want to create copycat businesses or sites that could potentially devalue a client's site.

4. Realistic business goals: Basically, if you want to build the next Facebook then please don't contact me.

*****Disclaimer*****
Before you contact me please realize that this service does not guarantee the success of your business. This service can dramatically speed up web/product development and help you with marketing, but it is not some magic overnight solution. You will need need to consider things like control, barrier to entry, scalability, and the rest of the commandments. You will still need to put a ton of work into marketing.

Please post questions below. Private message me if you're interested.

Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tk_mitchell

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 23, 2013
John P, sounds interesting - would like to discuss further. How best to connect?

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
John P, sounds interesting - would like to discuss further. How best to connect?

The best way right now is through private message. Send me a private message and give me a general overview of what you want to build. Is it a membership site? An e-commerce store? A lead gen website? You don't need to give me the entire business plan. What industry is it in? etc..

If I can help you then I'll give you some examples of the sites and then we talk more about customization and setup. If I can't help you then I'll let you know as well.

-

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
We just set up a membership site with multi-tiered memberships for fans of my group, The Silent Still. We pre-sold memberships before it all too. There's a tremendous amount of value in what you're offering here. It took a team of people, along with our graphic design firm, over 4 months to do everything mentioned in your post, johnp. We priced it out at around $30K for the whole setup, including our online store, if we had hired someone to do it. I wanted to reply here because I want to attest to the immense amount of value that you're offering, even if you deliver only half of what you mentioned. Being a rock band success coach, I really wish more bands and musicians would consider memberships. We're launching everything in a few weeks, and will have a good monthly income immediately because of membership pre-sells.

Last edited:

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I wanted to reply here because I want to attest to the immense amount of value that you're offering, even if you deliver only half of what you mentioned.

Thanks Draven, I appreciate it.

We just set up a membership site with multi-tiered memberships for fans of my group, The Silent Still. We pre-sold memberships before it all too.

Great move to pre-sell memberships before it all.

It took a team of people, along with our graphic design firm, over 4 months to do everything mentioned in your post, johnp. We priced it out at around $30K for the whole setup, including our online store, if we had hired someone to do it.

I'm not surprised at all. I got started with this back in 2011. India quoted me 21k in 7 months to build something like this. They failed to build the site of course. And some random company in the US quoted me over 100k. Someone on this forum actually helped me get started for a fraction of the price. But still, when I add up the costs, I put in over 20k and what seems like an endless amount of time.

If I can help just one person shortcut their development cycle and get to the market faster (the right way) than I'm happy.

We're launching everything in a few weeks, and will have a good income immediately because of pre-sells.

Good luck with your site!

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
would love to start a membership site have a fitness guru that is interested but dont know what exactly to have for people that sign up for a membership.. blog content is always free, ebooks are one-off/clickbank,etc

any ideas of what a membership site might even look like? any examples of various sites online so I can do my own research and apply it to our needs?

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
any ideas of what a membership site might even look like? any examples of various sites online so I can do my own research and apply it to our needs?

There are so many things that you could charge for. Content, access to premium level areas of the site, access to special features, and services such as a custom workout service and meal planning service.

I personally would stick with a Word Press plugin/theme, unless you want to build something very complex.

Davo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 9, 2014
Australia
would love to start a membership site have a fitness guru that is interested but dont know what exactly to have for people that sign up for a membership.. blog content is always free, ebooks are one-off/clickbank,etc

You should definitely check out the website below, it's a membership based fitness website. One of the guys that started it is also the resident PT at the company I used to work at. I have no idea if their model is successful or not and I'd never pay since I believe I can do everything without coaching hahaha.

https://www.360athlete.com.au/ (no affiliation btw)

FastTyler

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 13, 2013
Very interesting service. So what really is the baseline minimum price?

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Very interesting service. So what really is the baseline minimum price?

Sorry for the late reply, very busy.

For now it starts around 10k baseline, the price will go up eventually...this includes everything listed above and now mobile design. I rewrote the front-end design to make my personal membership site responsive and mobile compatible...it's amazing. I'm kicking myself for not using responsive design years ago. So now the design is mobile responsive and that's included in the price. The code is now cleaner, faster, etc...I used foundation.zurb if anyone is looking for a good responsive framework.

Deep customization obviously increases the price of the project. Ie, if someone wants a Facebook style Timeline wall integrated into the site then there would be a fee for whatever it will cost to add that feature.

Also, this is worth saying if I have not said it already..this is not the best solution for someone who has a physical product to sell. I have been approached by a lot of people who want to sell real products, either imported or drop shipped. It would make more sense to use Shopify or a WooCommerce Theme.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I'm creating a new service for this offer. It's called MVP (minimal viable product) to Launch.

MVP to Launch?

This is an idea was born out of me thinking about how someone should use the membership site software to test demand while minimizing risks. As I have said in previous posts, we could take my code and fit it into nearly any industry with some modifications.

I'm offering a solution that reduces many of the risks and pain points of developing a product like this. However, I have failed to reduce the risks associated with marketing the product. That's something I intend to change.

MVP to launch focuses on testing demand first, before the remaining balance of the site is paid off. With this model you will have absolute proof of concept that your idea will work before you pay thousands of dollars. It's a more scientific & segmented approach to determine if the business is even worth starting.

So here's how it works:
It's a two stage approach. The first stage is called MVP (minimal viable product) mode. I will work through an example below.

About MVP Mode
-
We start with a basic hypothesis. Here's an example hypothesis for a site that I thought about last night but will never try:

Hypothesis = There is a need for restaurant vendors (people who sell stuff to owners) to connect and network with restaurant owners. So why not build a site to bring the two parties together? Don't get hung up on the idea, it's just an example.

- Next, we will take a piece of the membership site source code and set it up on a server. We only take whats necessary to properly test demand. This is what we will setup on the site:
  • Home page
  • About us, Contact us, & short FAQ pages
  • Registration page
  • Coming soon page after registration page
  • Lead capture backend
The site will look as though it's 100% ready to go. The visitor will join like normal, but then after they join the site they will be redirected to the coming soon page that contains a coming soon message.

So going back to my example:

Let's say that I"m marketing my restaurant network concept to fish vendors. I drive traffic to a landing page that states something about how my site gives fish vendors the ability to connect with more restaurant owners to sell more fish.

The vendor clicks through then joins my site. I just saw demand. Upon joining they hit the coming soon page that says, "Thanks for joining. We are currently finishing up a few things and we will let you know when we are ready."

You could even take it a step further to pick up the phone and contact the member who just joined...I would go for a presell.

MVP mode would take about 1-2 weeks to get setup and the fee will be a fraction of the total fee. Probably around $750.00, hopefully less.. because I will need to pay some developers to get it setup.

If and only if (unless you are crazy) demand is proven then you move to the second step, which is

Product Build & Launch
At this point we would start migrating the rest of the source code over to your servers and fully setup the entire site. If we need to build more features then will do it then. Full payment is due either in full or in chunks and you get 100% rights to the code.

That's an option that I'm offering for this service. And I'm currently using it for myself.

I'll be finishing up one of the sites in the next couple of weeks. The business has a lot of potential and it was fun to build. I think that he's going to have a ton of success.

My price is also going up now. I think that it's going to be closer to the $20,000 range, but the MVP to Launch option is always available.

Dominic D

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 30, 2015
Ohio

Do you have an idea for a membership site or social network but you don’t know where to start?

Have you tried outsourcing the development of a complex interactive site but failed? Or are you currently outsourcing the project and not getting anywhere?

Do you want to build a membership site around a particular skill or niche?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions then you can probably use my help. This marketplace posting is advertising the opportunity for you to start a your own membership site/platform. I can set you up with an extremely powerful membership site in under 1-3 weeks (depending upon your customization needs).

I spent over three years and thousands of dollars developing the source code from scratch with another member on this forum. I currently use the software to power two of my membership sites, both of which are in completely different markets with completely different goals and outcomes.

Before you continue reading, allow me to get a few things straight.

This is not:
  • A source code clone. I own 100% rights. I have never authorized anybody to sell this service or the code.
  • I screen all potential clients before I sell.
  • This is not a Word Press plugin. If you only need a Word Press plugin then stop reading now, as there are plenty of good WP plugins out there.
  • This is not some Drupal theme that you’ll find on themeforest or template monster. Everything is built from scratch and hosted on your own servers.
  • I do not commercially sell this service. I usually wait for people to find me. This is the first public offering and it’s only available to members of this forum at the moment.
  • No, I don’t have a website that gives more details.
I believe that this is the most flexible and scalable membership software on the market. But before I explain why, let me give some examples of how it can be used:

Example Uses:
  • Membership site built around your business
  • Membership site built around your skills or products.
  • Membership platform built around a particular niche (investing, cars, business, entrepreneurship, education, politics etc.)
  • Two sided market that brings two or more user groups together.
  • Social networks (dating, professional networking, basically anything that has a network effect)

How this service works (the short version)
You start by contacting me and telling me a little about what you need the software for. If I can help you then we will talk more.

Next, we’ll plan everything out and I’ll get you setup as fast as possible. The setup process includes establishing your server, giving you access to core files and the databases, complete front-end customization. You don’t need any first hand knowledge in code.

So it’s not an out of the box solution?
It depends on how you look at it. It’s out of the box in the sense that the entire framework and features are built. But you can’t just plug it into a server and expect it to work. The site needs to be configured on a server and then customized to fit your business model. 90% of the site is ready, and final 10% is all about the font-end customization, which means dealing with some html, css, and php files. But don’t worry; we do all of the technical stuff for you!

That’s the beauty of this service. The site itself is ready to go, but at the same time we can do a deeper level of customization to you make your online business completely than all of the others.

The benefits of doing this:

I can help you get to the market faster:

At this point you have two choices:

1) Build a product yourself and go through a long and costly development process (I did this, it’s not fun)
or...
2) Bypass 90% of the development process and let me help you get setup within weeks so you can get your fist sale. Web development is hard and marketing is just as hard, if not harder. If I can help people speed up development and shortcut the learning curve then I'm a little happier.

Idea validation and scale:
This is a great way to validate your idea without spending so much time in development. The framework is extremely scalable. We will have no problem adding new features after you validate the idea.

There are things that you didn’t think of yet:
I have been through the trenches and I guarantee that there are things that you didn’t think of yet. For instance, how will you take online payments and where will you find a merchant who won’t turn you down? How will you drive traffic to the site? If you take payments then how will you setup permission levels so they can be dynamically adjusted from the admin side? Setting up the payment gateway alone took about two months. There are so many critical things that I can help you with…

Traffic:
I have developed this platform through three different versions. I have optimized profiles and registration forms. I have accepted payments and made money each month with my sites. The platform will come somewhat optimized and I can provide a lot of insight about how to build a good funnel with the platform.

Support:
I’ll always be around to provide support (yes, I will live forever). I use this platform myself for two sites, so I’m constantly working with it and improving upon the code.

The features (what it comes with):

- Home pages & static pages – about, help, terms, etc..

- Registration pages & the ability to add multiple user types. The registration will change based on the user type selected.

- User profile pages that can be dynamically updated.

- Sophisticated search feature – The search is extremely advanced. We spent months developing the search technology. It allows for simultaneous filtration and it parses all user profiles.

- Private messages on the site (emails are not exposed).

- Email alerts sent out (when user joins, new private messages, password reset, etc..)

- Google maps api integration

- Profile images

- Cover photo images

- Recommended users

- Promoted profiles in searches

- Promoted messages

- Attachments in messages

- Word Press blog integration

- Ads (AdSense)

- User settings area to update profiles

- You can take payments! 4-tier Payment gateway with authorize.net integration. It can be dynamically adjusted without dealing with code.

- User permissions – You can change user premissions from the admin side. Set locks on searches, set message limits for user groups, etc..

- Mailchip API

- Admin panel at (admin.yourdomain.com) to edit users, delete users, edit auto emails, adjust price points, change user permissions.

- Deep customization – We can build almost anything for an additional cost.

- Google analytics

The technology:
The site is built in php and we use the smarty template engine. Files contain tpl, html, css, j-Query, etc. We host the site on Linode, which we have found to be the best server for the source code.

Price:
This all depends on what you need. The base price includes everything listed above (minus new features). The price also includes my time to set up your server and customize the site for you. It's a flat fee that can be paid upfront or broken up into payments.

Examples:
To protect business models I need to keep specific sites private from search engines. I can share them in a private message.

I have used the software for a two-sided marketplace that connects hiring manager to jobseekers. The site is sort of like LinkedIn. I’m also using the platform to develop a membership website in the education industry. It will be the most advanced membership site within the niche that I'm focusing on.

FAQ:

Can you show me some examples?
Examples can be provided in a private message.

How do I edit front-end code?
You will need to access the files directly to edit the front-end content. I provide support in this area. But if this is something that you can do then you'll get FTP access to your site and a basic html editor will work.

Do I need to know how to code?
No, you do not need to know anything about code. It wouldn’t help to know a little about html and css though.

Why are you doing this?
I helped someone out and I saw a need.

You said that you screen buyers? What are the qualifications?
I only look at a few things.

1. The first is that your an ethical person and you won't take the source code and distribute it all over the internet (if you can even figure out how).

2. The second thing is that you're realistic and not looking for an overnight success. This is a process. I can help you get to the market faster but this will not make you rich over night. If I sense that you're desperate or not willing to put the work into your business then I won't help you.

3. I look at your industry. I never sell to someone who is:
a) is in the same industry as me
and
b) someone who is doing the exact same thing as another client. I don't want to create copycat businesses or sites that could potentially devalue a client's site.

4. Realistic business goals: Basically, if you want to build the next Facebook then please don't contact me.

*****Disclaimer*****
Before you contact me please realize that this service does not guarantee the success of your business. This service can dramatically speed up web/product development and help you with marketing, but it is not some magic overnight solution. You will need need to consider things like control, barrier to entry, scalability, and the rest of the commandments. You will still need to put a ton of work into marketing.

Please post questions below. Private message me if you're interested.

Thank you

bump
Interested in how you went about getting the traffic to your site? I am thinking of creating a membership site but would like to test the market and see if it's worthwhile, but do not know how to get my product in front of potential users.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
bump
Interested in how you went about getting the traffic to your site? I am thinking of creating a membership site but would like to test the market and see if it's worthwhile, but do not know how to get my product in front of potential users.

but do not know how to get my product in front of potential users.

Whatever you do, figure this before you do anything.

Also since I'm responding to this thread...

***Update***

As of 2016, I'm no longer offering this service because I no longer have the time.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
@johnp MVP to Launch no longer available either? How much did that cost?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.