The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a Web Site

Kanamit

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 22, 2011
I think I have finally thought of a great website. The problem is I have no idea about how to get this thing built. I have gone on elance and got a few offers. I actually contacted one company that is in india and explained my idea in detail. The guy asked for a site map and that was it. I can draw up a site map, but I dont exactly have experience doing such a thing. I cant do a non disclosure with them since they're in india right?

That company has done several sites, none of which ive ever heard of, but they have quite a few sites in their portfolio. The best thing about them is their pricing. I got a quote of around $2500. I could afford more but I would like to get the best build for the money.

Anyone have any experience going about a site this way? I would be looking to have something like flippa. Probably not as extensive since that would be rather expensive. Same concept though. Posting things, having people bid on them etc. I want to get to a point where I could charge small fees for postings.

Im pretty sure I can make this work and I have the funds to get going. I just have no experience. Ill be reading and whatever I can to further my knowledge. Any advice is appreciated

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Is it a special website and you need special programming for it or just a website with products for sale?

Kanamit

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 22, 2011
I would think it would need some special programming. The user would have to be able to build a sale page, like ebay or flippa, where they could accurately describe what they are marketing. There would be a need for pics, video, charts, etc.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I would advise you not to use any company from India for web development. Most of them are a PITA to deal with. There's a few threads on here stating the same.

Have you tested your idea / concept first? If not, you might want to consider that too.

Just my 2 cents.

hlopez22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jan 3, 2012
If you feel you don't need the site to be as extensive as Flippa then I don't see why you can't make it. If you are looking for something more simple like what you described I can do it for you a lot cheaper than $2,500. That way you can risk less and test your idea. Just an idea.

teamfive

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2012
Philippines
I think there are various team that could build you that kind of websites for a lesser price..
Im currently having my internship at a web development company right now and I dont think they are asking for that large amount..
Im not sure if Im understanding it correctly but is your website selling things..?

hhhoang

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 6, 2011
Seattle
Your description is very limited. You have to be detailed about what you want or you're going to end up with a crappy site and a waste of money. Saying "i want a site like flippa" is not enough. And $2,500 for that kind of site will get you a crappy quality work. If you're looking to replicate the features like flippa, there will be some serious coding and the budget would be a lot more than $2,500 if you want it done good. Just keep this in mind when outsourcing big projects: Cheap price = low quality

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.