The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Starting a robotics company

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Tonci1234

New Contributor
Aug 29, 2021
Hey Guys,

This is my first post here, and I am really excited that there are so many like-minded people in this group.

Just a quick background of myself: I am 22 years old and have been into self-development for around four years now. This year I will be finishing my Masters degree in mechanical engineering (free education in Europe, which means I have no college debt :D).

Currently I am developing a robot (more exactly a series of robots) for the sports sector, that shall change the way we view the future of sports training. I suspect that the development will take around 4-6 more months in order to complete the first prototype (sections of the protoype have already been tested). I am also intensly studying electrical engineering, programming, and robotics as a whole, in order to make this prototype come to life.

My plan at the moment is to keep my part time job (research & development of electric motors), and finish my degree, until I am able to fully launch the business.

Considering the above, I would like to ask, if any of you guys have any experience in the robotics sector? If not, are there any other sources (books or articles), that will help with the launch of a robotics business?

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated, I thank you guys in advance! :D

PS: I would also like to thank MJ for the effort that was put into these amazing books, which have completely changed my perspective about life.

mdot

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Welcome! I graduated university with a mechatronics engineering degree but mostly work in the embedded hardware/software world now and love it.

If your uni has clubs or student robotics/sae racing/engineering teams, JOIN THEM. My biggest regret of my university years is that I never took full advantage of the experience, mentorship and connections that those teams could have given me.

Tonci1234

New Contributor
Aug 29, 2021
Welcome! I graduated university with a mechatronics engineering degree but mostly work in the embedded hardware/software world now and love it.

If your uni has clubs or student robotics/sae racing/engineering teams, JOIN THEM. My biggest regret of my university years is that I never took full advantage of the experience, mentorship and connections that those teams could have given me.
Hey mdot,

Thanks for the suggestion, I definetely agree. These clubs are a great source of experience and connections. I also wish that I had participated in them more.

On the side note: I have been slowly transitioning from Arduino, to ESP32 and now to custom PCBs with the STM32 microcontrollers. Do you have any suggestions for decreasing the learning curve?
Additonally, may I ask what embedded projects are you working on?

Thanks.

mdot

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Your path is the one I pretty much took. I started with Arduino boards and the Arduino IDE, then I started making my own custom boards with the ATMega and ESP32. At that point I was using Platform.io to write "real code" but still using the Arduino library. Then I started my job and was thrown headfirst into the world of STM32 haha.

I recommend the book Making Embedded Systems by Elicia White. It's a great resource for how to think about building your application and using design patterns. I also recommend Mastering STM32 by Carmine Novello. It explains the different STM32 peripherals in a more concise way than the data sheets or reference manuals. Finally, the book "Designing Electronics That Work" by Hunter Scott seems awesome but I've only skimmed it so far.

Also regardless of what people say, there's really nothing wrong with using the STM32 HAL library, until there something DOES go wrong. Sometimes there will be bugs in the library or you'll need better performance and you'll need to modify it or write your own functions closer to hardware but in most cases they are OK.

Last edited:

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Hi - I sent out some emails with the updates but I'll PM you now also, thanks. The issue is...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Read the free book, some excellent insights. I also did the website quiz and I did a visual on a...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom