The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a gym branch?

Frushe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 8, 2016
Hey. How are you? Today I thought of an opportunity that might work here in Argentina: a 24/7 gym. There are 2 main gym brands that they have horrible hours. Like monday to friday 8hs to 22hs and saturdays 10hs to 20hs. I think I a 24/7 gym opens it would take a lot of their clients. The problem is the entry. I dont know from where to take the money to start the business. Like buying all the equipment, renting the warehouse, etc. Is this a viable option if I am 19 years old with no money?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I'd say it's pretty hard to start a business like a gym with no money. You can get creative though. Maybe a Kickstarter campaign if it is available over in Argentina. Also starting the business where you can, where funds are not required may be an option. Maybe through social media, create a brand based off of the idea and then later down the road you can build off that social media and create your business with a already solid following.

As for the viability of this idea, it has worked here in the United States. There is a gym called "AnyTime Fitness" that is open 24/7. I personally don't go there because a lot of it is machines, but maybe a gym that provides weights and machines that run 24/7 would be a great idea. Selling point is, you're like every other gym except there are no time constraints.

Thenn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 16, 2015
This can work if you can come up with a decent margin for a 24/7 gym. The reason why other gyms in your area are not doing it is probably because of the additional operating cost (which can hurt your margin)

Lindaliulo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 8, 2016
Just like Mikkel said, there is a GYM called Anytime fitness, they are a franchised, they have gyms worldwide so maybe you can open a gym with the in Argentina, here is their link http://anytimefitness.com/membership/overview?gclid=CJCfsNitw8sCFRSPfgodKXoJeg#seg17, look for info there, in Mexico a friend of mine did the same (He owns the gym but he didn't made the total investment) although you are probably gonna need some money, so you should look for government support or a bank loan

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Just like Mikkel said, there is a GYM called Anytime fitness, they are a franchised, they have gyms worldwide so maybe you can open a gym with the in Argentina, here is their link http://anytimefitness.com/membership/overview?gclid=CJCfsNitw8sCFRSPfgodKXoJeg#seg17, look for info there, in Mexico a friend of mine did the same (He owns the gym but he didn't made the total investment) although you are probably gonna need some money, so you should look for government support or a bank loan

Remember... You don't want to purchase a franchise, you will not own the company.. just the rights to do as they say.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Is this a viable option if I am 19 years old with no money?

BOY the answer is within your question. Does it make sense to you? You do need a lot of $$$ to start a gym. Either yours or somebody else's a.k.a. people who want to invest, which in Argentina will be harder to find, and forget about banks giving you anything at 19 with no history at all or the government not getting in your way and eating any margins (of course, this is assuming you are willing to do the proper paperwork...)

Why do I know? I'm Argentinian.

It's not a terrible idea, although I'm not sure if the 24/7 mentality is much ingrained at home like it is here in the US. You would have to TRULY test demand and come up with some numbers that support your idea. It's dangerous enough to be out in the street for one (I'm guessing forget about female public after 22hs, I dare say earlier) and you gotta think you would have the costs of running 24/7 as well, so you would have to make sure you get enough people during those hours to cover all that AND get a good margin, like somebody else said. I might be wrong. Maybe 27/7 is not necessary, just extend the hours even more.

If you ask me... one of my friends living in Zona Norte started an eCommerce business with a friend and they're doing pretty well. Buy something from wholesalers, sell it online. Now at 19 I'd say THAT is a more viable option because you need very little to set up a website and you can only order inventory once you get orders (that's how they do it).

Again I don't wanna shoot you down, but I think as a first timer with little knowledge, history (this is relevant to bank and investors) and no capital, it would be much more realistic to start selling something on your own and acquiring knowledge of running a business and then go onto bigger things. :)

Frushe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 8, 2016
BOY the answer is within your question. Does it make sense to you? You do need a lot of $$$ to start a gym. Either yours or somebody else's a.k.a. people who want to invest, which in Argentina will be harder to find, and forget about banks giving you anything at 19 with no history at all or the government not getting in your way and eating any margins (of course, this is assuming you are willing to do the proper paperwork...)

Why do I know? I'm Argentinian.

It's not a terrible idea, although I'm not sure if the 24/7 mentality is much ingrained at home like it is here in the US. You would have to TRULY test demand and come up with some numbers that support your idea. It's dangerous enough to be out in the street for one (I'm guessing forget about female public after 22hs, I dare say earlier) and you gotta think you would have the costs of running 24/7 as well, so you would have to make sure you get enough people during those hours to cover all that AND get a good margin, like somebody else said. I might be wrong. Maybe 27/7 is not necessary, just extend the hours even more.

If you ask me... one of my friends living in Zona Norte started an eCommerce business with a friend and they're doing pretty well. Buy something from wholesalers, sell it online. Now at 19 I'd say THAT is a more viable option because you need very little to set up a website and you can only order inventory once you get orders (that's how they do it).

Again I don't wanna shoot you down, but I think as a first timer with little knowledge, history (this is relevant to bank and investors) and no capital, it would be much more realistic to start selling something on your own and acquiring knowledge of running a business and then go onto bigger things. :)

I agree. I have been thinking it more thoroughly and I will do something else. I dont like the idea of e-commerce because anyone can do it. I know a guy who sells wholesale Iphones for a really good price and I could sell them on mercadolibre. But there is a lot of competition for a product you cant add value.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I agree. I have been thinking it more thoroughly and I will do something else. I dont like the idea of e-commerce because anyone can do it. I know a guy who sells wholesale Iphones for a really good price and I could sell them on mercadolibre. But there is a lot of competition for a product you cant add value.

Well I wouldn't scratch it off my list just yet. iPhone/ iPhone accessories are way saturated, as most folks here would tell you. That doesn't mean there aren't good things you can find to import/wholesale and resell. I mean there are SO many things we don't have in Buenos Aires that we have here, not just iPhone accessories. Look at those stores that are getting popular down there with just "cool modern-ish looking stuff" they didn't invent the wheel they just found some cool stuff to resell. Me myself just found something that sells in Bs As but might be good for selling here in the US. Just need some research on the demand and make sure you get some good margins. Just a thought!

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.