• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Starting a coding school for kids

Discussion in 'Ideas, Needs, Concept Feedback' started by vbr, Oct 5, 2018.

1. vbr

vbr New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $32
    I would like to start a coding school for kids in my area. I contacted a professor at a nearby university who runs a coding camp. I asked either to bring his program to my location directly or to license the curriculum. He wouldn't respond to my request. I found a similar school in different state, contacted the owner of the school. I haven't heard from the owner. Any ideas on where I should look into? Thank you.

2. George Appiah

George Appiah Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,089
    Hello @vbr ,

I don't know the American market...

But I will opine that you're likely to move the needle forward faster if you work with organizations with existing partner/franchise programs, instead of chasing busy professors (whose projects are often grants-driven and may not have any desires for world domination).

Tynker has a turnkey program to run your own coding camp for kids: Tynker | Coding for Kids

The Coder School has a full franchising program: theCoderSchool - coding for kids

Code Ninjas also has a franchise program: Code Ninjas: Coding Centers for Kids - Teach Kids to Code

There are a ton more of such programs... and I found these with a simple Google search!

Be reminded, though, that irrespective of what it's called -- licensing, partnership, franchising, etc --- all these break the element of C-CONTROL, and you're subject to the whims and dictates of the curriculum owner.

Nik@16 likes this.
  3. Nik@16

Nik@16 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $117
    I was also thinking of considering similar idea.What is your market and what is your age group ? The easiest part is getting a person to license their content. The hard part is marketing it.

4. Nik@16

Nik@16 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $117
    Rh
    That's right but one can also market it under it's own brand and control it by contracts. Bloomberg is still making money by selling JK Rowling's books.I would recommend you to first check out the market need through some partnership before diving in it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  5. Kid

Kid Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $778
    How did you contacted them?

If by email then maybe you should try get them on phone or visit in person.

I don't know if anyone would consider email serious for such endeavour.

6. Fernando Osiel

Fernando Osiel PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $2
    Good luck, tech is a fast growing career/trend. Kids are amazing for coding, they can create great thing. Hope you make this biz a reality.

7. Sebastya

Sebastya Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $1,457
    If I have kids I'm definitely having them take a coding course. It's the second best skill in the world imo.

8. vbr

vbr New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $32
    Hi George,

Thanks for your suggestions. I thought about franchising as well. However, I would like to have the control of the curriculum because I have some other ideas to add.

9. vbr

vbr New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $32
    @Nik@16 My age group 9-14. I think marketing would not be a problem because I have evidence of the demand here.

10. vbr

vbr New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $32
    @Kid I tried to set up a meeting in person, but no luck so far.