The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a clothing brand

bjd02

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Aug 2, 2020
United Kingdom
I've always wanted to start a clothing brand, its been on my mind for ages, and not to get spiritual but it always pops up in my dreams and all the time when i use to get high (not no more) I have a rough idea on what i need to become successful in this niche, im from the UK and am going to be taking inspiration from brands such as "Trapstar clothing" which are based in London. I've had small experience with websites, sales funnels and social media marketing so im not a complete newbie. I just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience in the clothing brand niche and would like to give me any tips or heads up? Also could this be a profitable niche?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
Also could this be a profitable niche?

Don't know much about clothing brands, but pretty much anything can be profitable IF you're able to give people what they want. Tough space though.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
well, than buy some clothes, put your logo on them and sell them.
When you have sold one piece, repeat!
Scale.
If you can find one customer, you can find more.

One way is the pod game.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I've always wanted to start a clothing brand, its been on my mind for ages, and not to get spiritual but it always pops up in my dreams and all the time when i use to get high (not no more) I have a rough idea on what i need to become successful in this niche, im from the UK and am going to be taking inspiration from brands such as "Trapstar clothing" which are based in London. I've had small experience with websites, sales funnels and social media marketing so im not a complete newbie. I just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience in the clothing brand niche and would like to give me any tips or heads up? Also could this be a profitable niche?
I just had a look over your posting history. Web design, custom sneakers, dropshipping, sales funnels, social media marketing, beats, and now a F*cking clothing brand?! For real man? You've had more ideas and failed "businesses" than Britney Spears had boyfriends (and all in the last 6 months!), and what did that get you? F*ck all right?

As Dan Pena would ask, how is your program working out? It's not, isn't it?

What you need is to change that mindset which is killing you and keeping you poor. First - have you bought and studied TMF and Unscripted ? Second, why are you NOT an INSIDERS? There's a ton of people in there who can help you grow, if only you'd LISTEN TO THEM, instead of listening to your program, because that clearly hasn't gotten you anywhere, has it?

I can already hear you crying "uh uh but INSIDERS costs money and I wanna make money not spend it... it's $100 bucks man!!!"... that's exactly why you're still in the poor house! Because you wanna make money, without paying to listen to people who have made 1000x the amount of money you've made, hopping from idea to idea and getting nowhere. I tell you, you probably would have made more money by now if you paid $5K to Dan Lok back in August and listened to him (a guy who btw I'm not a big fan of - I don't actually encourage you to buy his stuff, but even doing that and taking proper action would be 100x better than following your program).

So if you wanna make money, why don't you get a mentor? Why don't you buy into INSIDERS, and start listening to the people there? Why don't you buy a course like @Fox's and FOLLOW THE PLAN -> not your plan, we've already seen how that worked out, but someone else's plan, someone who has already walked the path. And that includes persevering, because if you expect to go from broke to breaking even in one month, you're in for a rude awakening. Building a business takes committed effort and willingness to risk money. LONGER than a month. At the end of a month your results may be zero. Doesn't matter. You need to persevere, and work through the problems that come up. Money is to be found by solving those obstacles and problems that come up when you're taking action, not by shying from them.

Now get out there and make it happen.

bjd02

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Aug 2, 2020
United Kingdom
I just had a look over your posting history. Web design, custom sneakers, dropshipping, sales funnels, social media marketing, beats, and now a f*cking clothing brand?! For real man? You've had more ideas and failed "businesses" than Britney Spears had boyfriends (and all in the last 6 months!), and what did that get you? f*ck all right?

As Dan Pena would ask, how is your program working out? It's not, isn't it?

What you need is to change that mindset which is killing you and keeping you poor. First - have you bought and studied TMF and Unscripted ? Second, why are you NOT an INSIDERS? There's a ton of people in there who can help you grow, if only you'd LISTEN TO THEM, instead of listening to your program, because that clearly hasn't gotten you anywhere, has it?

I can already hear you crying "uh uh but INSIDERS costs money and I wanna make money not spend it... it's $100 bucks man!!!"... that's exactly why you're still in the poor house! Because you wanna make money, without paying to listen to people who have made 1000x the amount of money you've made, hopping from idea to idea and getting nowhere. I tell you, you probably would have made more money by now if you paid $5K to Dan Lok back in August and listened to him (a guy who btw I'm not a big fan of - I don't actually encourage you to buy his stuff, but even doing that and taking proper action would be 100x better than following your program).

So if you wanna make money, why don't you get a mentor? Why don't you buy into INSIDERS, and start listening to the people there? Why don't you buy a course like @Fox's and FOLLOW THE PLAN -> not your plan, we've already seen how that worked out, but someone else's plan, someone who has already walked the path. And that includes persevering, because if you expect to go from broke to breaking even in one month, you're in for a rude awakening. Building a business takes committed effort and willingness to risk money. LONGER than a month. At the end of a month your results may be zero. Doesn't matter. You need to persevere, and work through the problems that come up. Money is to be found by solving those obstacles and problems that come up when you're taking action, not by shying from them.

Now get out there and make it happen.
I've always wanted a mentor but never known where to find them. I've purchases many courses and programs but i never have the money to pay for the continued monthly payments, I have limited money at the moment working part time because theres not much out there atm to build capital, my mind just goes 1000mph all the time and i go from one idea to another. Im always thinking of possible ways to earn money but never seem to stick to one thing. My long term vision is real estate, but i need a business now to help me build all of that capital. Clothing brand really interests me but with my history ill think of another idea in a month and be focused on that for a month then onto the next, it's a problem i need to fix.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I've always wanted a mentor but never known where to find them. I've purchases many courses and programs but i never have the money to pay for the continued monthly payments, I have limited money at the moment working part time because theres not much out there atm to build capital, my mind just goes 1000mph all the time and i go from one idea to another.
The biggest problem people have in self-development is that they're not honest. They're not honest with others, and they're not honest, more importantly, with themselves. It seems that you've started taking the first steps towards being honest with yourself here, so this moment could be a turning point for you.

With regards to the mentor thing - there are a lot of great people who can help you brainstorm ways to overcome problems and provide their feedback right here, especially in the INSIDERS section. There are also courses, including from people that you can interact with right here, such as @Fox or myself, and they tend to be offered at more affordable rates than from strangers like Dan Lok, to whom you're just another number. For example, I ran a masterclass along with @Speed112 for free initially about how to get started in eCommerce using sales funnels, and then we made it available as a replay for everyone else for just $13, with 20% of that being donated to support the Forum. I'm sure even in your case for example $13 isn't a barrier, despite limited money.

Your choice of mentor isn't super important so long as you pick pretty much anyone who is more experienced than you, and who has already got the knowledge, expertise and success you want. You can outgrow your mentor, that is true, in which case obviously you will want to change them. But until that happens, you should stick with it.

Ideally also you'd choose a mentor in a field you're interested in or a field that comes easier to you. The fact is that business ideas don't matter that much. What matters is that you stick with one thing, and keep going in one direction. Otherwise you make one step forward, and two steps back, and one step to the left, and another step forward, and one step to the right and guess what? You're back where you started, 0 progress.

So courses that require big monthly payments are probably not what you want at your level, since as you say you can't afford it. Find a more affordable way then to get mentorship. INSIDERS is my top recommendation since it's like $100 a year, and you get access to a TON of people in there, including in real estate.

But one thing you have to do is you have to get rid of the idea that money is worth a lot to you now. It's not. if you have $1K or $2K, or $3K or whatever, it's worth ZERO to you. Remember, the plan is to get to where you can make $10K in a day. Anything that gets you closer to that is worth a lot more than money to you. THAT'S what you should focus on getting, not money.

So if you paid @Fox $2K for a year of coaching, and that was all the money you had, I'd say it's still a GREAT investment. And now you're all in, you HAVE TO stick to it, which is exactly what will help you apply what you learn and get the results you want. It's all a process, you have to stick to it.

If you don't stick to it, a year from now you'll still be idea hopping, holding tight to your money, and still in the same position as now.

Im always thinking of possible ways to earn money but never seem to stick to one thing. My long term vision is real estate, but i need a business now to help me build all of that capital. Clothing brand really interests me but with my history ill think of another idea in a month and be focused on that for a month then onto the next, it's a problem i need to fix.
Ideally in this scenario, you should seek to get a job in real estate first. There are ways to get started in real estate with no money, but you will need connections, you will need to know the local market, and have a feel for where the good deals are. You can develop all this by yourself, but it's just much easier to get a job in the industry since you already like it and want to work in it. ANY job in real estate will do, and once you have it, try to make yourself useful there, provide more value, rise up, gain knowledge, until you'll be ready to strike out on your own.

To me it sounds like maybe you don't even have the motivation for another business. You just wanna do real estate. So find a way to do real estate. Don't aim so big from the get-go. Start small with real estate. Baby steps. But take steps every single day.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Launching a clothing brand when you’re a in a tight spot financially it’s not going to work.

scenario : you make a website and sell A LOT of items.
depending you your budget, you might not be able to fulfill the orders.
What happens if your payment processor puts you on hold for 90 days? Can you fulfill orders for 90’days without the revenue?

POD is low entry barrier, small margins.
Actually building a brand is way different. I spent £50k ( got carried away) in sampling and putting together a small clothing brand. And guess what, my £150 hoodies don’t compete with Gucci because there’s no heritage, and people would rather spend £50 more to get one from a known brand.

To get there I would need to spend a lot of money on influencers, which I don’t have. Also, my costs of producing are extremely high compared to what I sell for( 60%) and when you factor in taxes for sales, I’m pretty much screwed.
At the moment it runs on word of mouth, there are 5-7 sales a month but nothing amazing.

I cannot afford paying 50 influencers and giving them the product so therefore I can do one at a time and grow incredibly slow.

also, based on what @Black_Dragon43 said, you’re chasing the next shiny thing.
Search for that term on the forum and if you find yourself described, stop.

bjd02

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Aug 2, 2020
United Kingdom
Launching a clothing brand when you’re a in a tight spot financially it’s not going to work.

scenario : you make a website and sell A LOT of items.
depending you your budget, you might not be able to fulfill the orders.
What happens if your payment processor puts you on hold for 90 days? Can you fulfill orders for 90’days without the revenue?

POD is low entry barrier, small margins.
Actually building a brand is way different. I spent £50k ( got carried away) in sampling and putting together a small clothing brand. And guess what, my £150 hoodies don’t compete with Gucci because there’s no heritage, and people would rather spend £50 more to get one from a known brand.

To get there I would need to spend a lot of money on influencers, which I don’t have. Also, my costs of producing are extremely high compared to what I sell for( 60%) and when you factor in taxes for sales, I’m pretty much screwed.
At the moment it runs on word of mouth, there are 5-7 sales a month but nothing amazing.

I cannot afford paying 50 influencers and giving them the product so therefore I can do one at a time and grow incredibly slow.

also, based on what @Black_Dragon43 said, you’re chasing the next shiny thing.
Search for that term on the forum and if you find yourself described, stop.
I guess you do need a large startup cost, I'm just lost as to what i want to do, as said previously i had a new idea every month, nothing sticks out to me

bjd02

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Aug 2, 2020
United Kingdom
The biggest problem people have in self-development is that they're not honest. They're not honest with others, and they're not honest, more importantly, with themselves. It seems that you've started taking the first steps towards being honest with yourself here, so this moment could be a turning point for you.

With regards to the mentor thing - there are a lot of great people who can help you brainstorm ways to overcome problems and provide their feedback right here, especially in the INSIDERS section. There are also courses, including from people that you can interact with right here, such as @Fox or myself, and they tend to be offered at more affordable rates than from strangers like Dan Lok, to whom you're just another number. For example, I ran a masterclass along with @Speed112 for free initially about how to get started in eCommerce using sales funnels, and then we made it available as a replay for everyone else for just $13, with 20% of that being donated to support the Forum. I'm sure even in your case for example $13 isn't a barrier, despite limited money.

Your choice of mentor isn't super important so long as you pick pretty much anyone who is more experienced than you, and who has already got the knowledge, expertise and success you want. You can outgrow your mentor, that is true, in which case obviously you will want to change them. But until that happens, you should stick with it.

Ideally also you'd choose a mentor in a field you're interested in or a field that comes easier to you. The fact is that business ideas don't matter that much. What matters is that you stick with one thing, and keep going in one direction. Otherwise you make one step forward, and two steps back, and one step to the left, and another step forward, and one step to the right and guess what? You're back where you started, 0 progress.

So courses that require big monthly payments are probably not what you want at your level, since as you say you can't afford it. Find a more affordable way then to get mentorship. INSIDERS is my top recommendation since it's like $100 a year, and you get access to a TON of people in there, including in real estate.

But one thing you have to do is you have to get rid of the idea that money is worth a lot to you now. It's not. if you have $1K or $2K, or $3K or whatever, it's worth ZERO to you. Remember, the plan is to get to where you can make $10K in a day. Anything that gets you closer to that is worth a lot more than money to you. THAT'S what you should focus on getting, not money.

So if you paid @Fox $2K for a year of coaching, and that was all the money you had, I'd say it's still a GREAT investment. And now you're all in, you HAVE TO stick to it, which is exactly what will help you apply what you learn and get the results you want. It's all a process, you have to stick to it.

If you don't stick to it, a year from now you'll still be idea hopping, holding tight to your money, and still in the same position as now.

Ideally in this scenario, you should seek to get a job in real estate first. There are ways to get started in real estate with no money, but you will need connections, you will need to know the local market, and have a feel for where the good deals are. You can develop all this by yourself, but it's just much easier to get a job in the industry since you already like it and want to work in it. ANY job in real estate will do, and once you have it, try to make yourself useful there, provide more value, rise up, gain knowledge, until you'll be ready to strike out on your own.

To me it sounds like maybe you don't even have the motivation for another business. You just wanna do real estate. So find a way to do real estate. Don't aim so big from the get-go. Start small with real estate. Baby steps. But take steps every single day.
The $13 masterclass you mentioned, is it just a one time $13 payment and nothing more
?

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
The $13 masterclass you mentioned, is it just a one time $13 payment and nothing more
?

No. It costs $13 per day every day for 666 days or until you make your first million dollars, and then your first-born child whenever you have 'em. Oh also at least 15% of your soul. No take-backsies.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
I guess you do need a large startup cost, I'm just lost as to what i want to do, as said previously i had a new idea every month, nothing sticks out to me

Read The Millionaire Fastlane & Unscripted .

Stop chasing money from what you see others doing. (Social Media Marketing, Clothing, Dropshipping, Etc) Your ideas aren't really ideas, you are seeing other people's success (The events of their processes) and you want it as well.

Find an issue and solve it or solve it better. First read those books though.

Kind of disappoints me seeing people recommending to buy a course to a newb. Maybe their still brainwashed by some gurus without knowing it. Those two books give you everything you need to start on your own path and making your own decisions.

You will NOT get anywhere listening to other people tell you what to do or course to buy first. Even this advice contradicts me telling you to read those two books. I suggest you to research it on your own and then make your choice.

poseidn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 1, 2016
choose one model that is low barrier to entry (like a service)

One niche
One model
One lead gen method

Stick with that one niche, model, lead gen method for 12 months.

Don't do ANYTHING else. Just that one lead gen method, to find clients in that one niche for that one model

That's it.

Don't over-complicate it. Or 10 years will have passed and you're still having new ideas with not a single dollar of revenue to back you up

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
choose one model that is low barrier to entry (like a service)

One niche
One model
One lead gen method

Stick with that one niche, model, lead gen method for 12 months.

Don't do ANYTHING else. Just that one lead gen method, to find clients in that one niche for that one model

That's it.

Don't over-complicate it. Or 10 years will have passed and you're still having new ideas with not a single dollar of revenue to back you up

Yeah it's really that simple.

This post by MJ shows why.

Even 1 year is not always enough to get the ball rolling completely, but if you have the right strategy and you stick to it, you'll lay down a solid foundation and build a positive feedback loop that keeps you going after that.

You'll never get super tangible results in a day or a week or even a month. 3 months should be the minimum (and maximum imo) event horizon for which you should design your strategy and process. Plan that shit out. What are you trying to accomplish? How are you going to accomplish it? Then just stick to it through thick and thin.

You can have a 3 month perspective, and split that into 2 week chunks when you look back and take in all the progress you've made, then see if you're still moving in the right direction to reach your 3 month target, and if not reassess and realign yourself.

This is crucial.

One big contributing factor for people's failure, idea-hopping, giving up, etc. is that they always look forward. You always have that image in front of you that you always compare yourself with. The lambo or the million dollar a year business or the 4 hour work-week sitting on a beach sipping on a cocktail... and you work and you work and it looks like you're never getting closer to that unattainable ideal that may very well be 2, 3, 5, or even 10 years into the future.

Your steps are heading there, but they're too small to make a difference now. So you feel like you're not making any progress. Your motivation dwindles. Your hope evaporates. But wait... a new shiny thing comes along that promises you an easy way to reach that vision. And it's not gonna take 5 years but it's gonna take 1 month because whomever schmuck wants to sell you their $5k course.

You hop on that, you get that initial hype of "I can do this" and you're pumped up. You take action. And then you look forward again and see you've not gotten anywhere. Rinse, repeat, forever and ever until you're forced to go back to a day-job doing whatever low-value work you used to do.

Now compare that with looking backward.

It doesn't matter how far ahead in the future your vision is. You just trust the process, that if you follow this path you'll get there eventually. You know where you're going. You know you'll get there. You don't care where. So you start on your journey. You take a few steps. You build something. 2 weeks pass. You look back: "Oh wow I just built a few pages of my website and I sent 300 emails. 5 whole people replied! That's way more than the 0 I started with." and you feel good about your progress instead of feeling bad about your lack of arrival to your destination.

Then you look at what was a good use of time and what wasn't. You drop the trash, keep the good stuff. And you set out on your path again. 2 weeks later, you look back again. "Dayum I sent 400 emails this time and now I have 7 replies and I got on a call with 3 whole people. I feel like I'm going somewhere"

Your instagram followers are going up. Your collection of content is getting bulkier. Your traffic is growing. And then eventually you get your first sale. Then your second. Then 10. Then 100. Then it all gets easier and easier and you get closer and closer to your destination without even noticing it. Because you're looking back and all that matters is that you're getting further down the path and growing larger, higher, faster than when you started.

Write shit down. Keep track of your progress. Revisit your strategy and iterate it to improve and realign yourself on the right path. Trust the process. And you'll F*cking get there.

Don't do these things and you'll keep yoyoing around between ideas like a ferret with fleas.

As long as you're creating value and helping people you'll be going in the right direction. You can figure things out along the way to fine-tune your destination. So just go and create value. It's not rocket science.

You want to do real-estate? Buy a house.

What do you mean you don't have money to buy a house? Why not?

Here's one thing you could do: EXECUTION - The Quickest Way I Know of To Make $10k If You Are Dead BROKE!! SERIOUSLY

Here's another: REAL ESTATE - How To Live Rent Free - Attn. Bootstrappers and Those Struggling Financially

Or this: REAL ESTATE - Office Hacking - How I get a "free" office and an asset

There are a lot of other interesting things you could do if you had the balls to do them...

So what's holding you back?

Capital has never been cheaper in the history of the F*cking planet. Reference interest rates are negative ffs. Can't get a loan? Why not? Haven't had a job for a year? Shit credit? Why don't you get a job and fix those? Why don't you find an opportunity and split it up with someone who does have capital? You bring labour and expertise, they bring money, you both win.

You could pick a niche, any niche, work in it, build some value, build some capital to pay a down-payment and then get started in Real Estate. You can do that in a year. You probably can't build a million-dollar in equity in a year, but enough to get started. If you flip-flop around, though, you won't do any of this and still be in the same spot 5 years from now.

I'd know, since I've stood still for 5 years of my life not committing to anything and wasting opportunities left and right while accumulating knowledge and skills that I already had enough of.

Do you want to build a clothing brand first? Fine. You can do that. You can get a brand going in a day. Start off with 1 product. People who sold MAGA hats or Bernie sitting t-shirts made a lot of money because they saw a big desire in the market and they filled it. Find one burning need that a clothing brand can solve and focus 100% on solving that need. Build a funnel to quickly test market demand for it. You don't even need to have a product yet, you just want to validate that the need exists. You find the people, offer them what they want, collect their interest (and their money) and only then should you worry about giving them what you offered.

If you can't sell the product there's no point worrying about fulfilling it. Once you've got the need and the interest, find THE BEST way you can fill that gap. The highest quality product. The fastest delivery. The most awesome way of getting it. Even if you're at a loss. Go above and beyond. And use that amazing fulfillment as the foundation for your brand... you need word of mouth. You need to impress. Then you can ask those people what other shit they want. And now you can make a profit.

You can do this with an upfront investment of like $500. If you're lucky you might even break-even with your first attempt. But if you don't it's fine... because what matters is that you're on the right path. And you're making progress. And you can improve. And losing some when you start is fine because you'll make it all back later as you figure things out... IF YOU STICK WITH IT.

Yes, you want to fail often, small and fast, and you want to take your winners and scale those up as much as you can. But how can you know if something is a winner or not when they just get 1 month to pan out?

So just make up a plan. It doesn't have to be great. It can be a totally shit plan.

Any plan is better than no plan.

And then stick with it.

You have a lot of ankle-deep knowledge in a lot of areas from what I can tell. That's great. It means you've got a feel for things and can tell the water's temperature. But if you want to really make it big... you've gotta swim with the whales. Can't do that if you're still tipping your toes on the shore.

Take it a step at a time. Knee-deep. Then waist-deep. Neck-deep... When you're ready you can dive.

But to swim for real, you've got to focus on one thing, at least at first, so you can build on it incrementally.

So here's a thought. Maybe you can meet the long-term with the short-term and plan a more coherent path...

Why not build a clothing brand for real-estate people? I'm sure people who flip houses have their own memes and inside jokes. Or loan brokers. Or agents... you could potentially fill a unique niche here. And you'd probably want to meet rich successful real-estate people to build your network for when you get into it. Might even find a mentor because you made him laugh with a dumbass shirt that only him and a few of his buddies would get.

What's important is that you can help these people out before you're ready to dive and swim with them, and they'd have some excess money to fund your journey until then or invest with you when you get there.

What could you do to help them out with a clothing brand?

I have no clue.

That's your job to find out. Talk to them. Give the people you'd want to have in your network a call and ask them stuff. Figure out what they want and then offer it to them. What's the worst that can happen?

Now get going and the next time you post it better be about how much you've accomplished since you've started this thing, rather than about the new thing you're thinking of starting.

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)

Last edited:

bjd02

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Aug 2, 2020
United Kingdom
Yeah it's really that simple.

This post by MJ shows why.

Even 1 year is not always enough to get the ball rolling completely, but if you have the right strategy and you stick to it, you'll lay down a solid foundation and build a positive feedback loop that keeps you going after that.

You'll never get super tangible results in a day or a week or even a month. 3 months should be the minimum (and maximum imo) event horizon for which you should design your strategy and process. Plan that shit out. What are you trying to accomplish? How are you going to accomplish it? Then just stick to it through thick and thin.

You can have a 3 month perspective, and split that into 2 week chunks when you look back and take in all the progress you've made, then see if you're still moving in the right direction to reach your 3 month target, and if not reassess and realign yourself.

This is crucial.

One big contributing factor for people's failure, idea-hopping, giving up, etc. is that they always look forward. You always have that image in front of you that you always compare yourself with. The lambo or the million dollar a year business or the 4 hour work-week sitting on a beach sipping on a cocktail... and you work and you work and it looks like you're never getting closer to that unattainable ideal that may very well be 2, 3, 5, or even 10 years into the future.

Your steps are heading there, but they're too small to make a difference now. So you feel like you're not making any progress. Your motivation dwindles. Your hope evaporates. But wait... a new shiny thing comes along that promises you an easy way to reach that vision. And it's not gonna take 5 years but it's gonna take 1 month because whomever schmuck wants to sell you their $5k course.

You hop on that, you get that initial hype of "I can do this" and you're pumped up. You take action. And then you look forward again and see you've not gotten anywhere. Rinse, repeat, forever and ever until you're forced to go back to a day-job doing whatever low-value work you used to do.

Now compare that with looking backward.

It doesn't matter how far ahead in the future your vision is. You just trust the process, that if you follow this path you'll get there eventually. You know where you're going. You know you'll get there. You don't care where. So you start on your journey. You take a few steps. You build something. 2 weeks pass. You look back: "Oh wow I just built a few pages of my website and I sent 300 emails. 5 whole people replied! That's way more than the 0 I started with." and you feel good about your progress instead of feeling bad about your lack of arrival to your destination.

Then you look at what was a good use of time and what wasn't. You drop the trash, keep the good stuff. And you set out on your path again. 2 weeks later, you look back again. "Dayum I sent 400 emails this time and now I have 7 replies and I got on a call with 3 whole people. I feel like I'm going somewhere"

Your instagram followers are going up. Your collection of content is getting bulkier. Your traffic is growing. And then eventually you get your first sale. Then your second. Then 10. Then 100. Then it all gets easier and easier and you get closer and closer to your destination without even noticing it. Because you're looking back and all that matters is that you're getting further down the path and growing larger, higher, faster than when you started.

Write shit down. Keep track of your progress. Revisit your strategy and iterate it to improve and realign yourself on the right path. Trust the process. And you'll f*cking get there.

Don't do these things and you'll keep yoyoing around between ideas like a ferret with fleas.

As long as you're creating value and helping people you'll be going in the right direction. You can figure things out along the way to fine-tune your destination. So just go and create value. It's not rocket science.

You want to do real-estate? Buy a house.

What do you mean you don't have money to buy a house? Why not?

Here's one thing you could do: EXECUTION - The Quickest Way I Know of To Make $10k If You Are Dead BROKE!! SERIOUSLY

Here's another: REAL ESTATE - How To Live Rent Free - Attn. Bootstrappers and Those Struggling Financially

Or this: REAL ESTATE - Office Hacking - How I get a "free" office and an asset

There are a lot of other interesting things you could do if you had the balls to do them...

So what's holding you back?

Capital has never been cheaper in the history of the f*cking planet. Reference interest rates are negative ffs. Can't get a loan? Why not? Haven't had a job for a year? Shit credit? Why don't you get a job and fix those? Why don't you find an opportunity and split it up with someone who does have capital? You bring labour and expertise, they bring money, you both win.

You could pick a niche, any niche, work in it, build some value, build some capital to pay a down-payment and then get started in Real Estate. You can do that in a year. You probably can't build a million-dollar in equity in a year, but enough to get started. If you flip-flop around, though, you won't do any of this and still be in the same spot 5 years from now.

I'd know, since I've stood still for 5 years of my life not committing to anything and wasting opportunities left and right while accumulating knowledge and skills that I already had enough of.

Do you want to build a clothing brand first? Fine. You can do that. You can get a brand going in a day. Start off with 1 product. People who sold MAGA hats or Bernie sitting t-shirts made a lot of money because they saw a big desire in the market and they filled it. Find one burning need that a clothing brand can solve and focus 100% on solving that need. Build a funnel to quickly test market demand for it. You don't even need to have a product yet, you just want to validate that the need exists. You find the people, offer them what they want, collect their interest (and their money) and only then should you worry about giving them what you offered.

If you can't sell the product there's no point worrying about fulfilling it. Once you've got the need and the interest, find THE BEST way you can fill that gap. The highest quality product. The fastest delivery. The most awesome way of getting it. Even if you're at a loss. Go above and beyond. And use that amazing fulfillment as the foundation for your brand... you need word of mouth. You need to impress. Then you can ask those people what other shit they want. And now you can make a profit.

You can do this with an upfront investment of like $500. If you're lucky you might even break-even with your first attempt. But if you don't it's fine... because what matters is that you're on the right path. And you're making progress. And you can improve. And losing some when you start is fine because you'll make it all back later as you figure things out... IF YOU STICK WITH IT.

Yes, you want to fail often, small and fast, and you want to take your winners and scale those up as much as you can. But how can you know if something is a winner or not when they just get 1 month to pan out?

So just make up a plan. It doesn't have to be great. It can be a totally shit plan.

Any plan is better than no plan.

And then stick with it.

You have a lot of ankle-deep knowledge in a lot of areas from what I can tell. That's great. It means you've got a feel for things and can tell the water's temperature. But if you want to really make it big... you've gotta swim with the whales. Can't do that if you're still tipping your toes on the shore.

Take it a step at a time. Knee-deep. Then waist-deep. Neck-deep... When you're ready you can dive.

But to swim for real, you've got to focus on one thing, at least at first, so you can build on it incrementally.

So here's a thought. Maybe you can meet the long-term with the short-term and plan a more coherent path...

Why not build a clothing brand for real-estate people? I'm sure people who flip houses have their own memes and inside jokes. Or loan brokers. Or agents... you could potentially fill a unique niche here. And you'd probably want to meet rich successful real-estate people to build your network for when you get into it. Might even find a mentor because you made him laugh with a dumbass shirt that only him and a few of his buddies would get.

What's important is that you can help these people out before you're ready to dive and swim with them, and they'd have some excess money to fund your journey until then or invest with you when you get there.

What could you do to help them out with a clothing brand?

I have no clue.

That's your job to find out. Talk to them. Give the people you'd want to have in your network a call and ask them stuff. Figure out what they want and then offer it to them. What's the worst that can happen?

Now get going and the next time you post it better be about how much you've accomplished since you've started this thing, rather than about the new thing you're thinking of starting.

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)

Thanks for the detailed response, a couple things in that hit me like a ton of bricks, some really good tips there, thanks again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.