The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Start With Why" + "Fastlane"

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Simon Sinek says to “Start With Why”. He says that customers will naturally gravitate to businesses that have like interests. For example, Apple might want to make technology accessible to non-technical users. This “Why” applies to Macs, iPods, iPhones, and probably an eventual iCar. Customers who are non-technical, will tend to trust Apple because they want they same thing as Apple. They want Apple to make technology accessible to non-technical users.

His diagram goes from Why -> How -> What

golden-circle.jpg

After the “Why” is determined, the “How” is next. Apple started with computers. At the time, all computers were hard to use. Their “How” was mostly determined by circumstance and timing, but few would argue Jobs could have been innovative in any field. The “What” is the product. Originally, it was the Apple Computer. Later, it was the Macintosh, iPod, and so on. The actual products came last.

In Fastlane terminology, a product must have a USP (Unique Selling Proposition), and ideally a Brand. MJ specifically says that the market does not care what the marketer wants. This seems to be at odds with what Sinek says.

In Sinek’s analysis, he has many examples of businesses that had a “How” and “What”, but never had a “Why”, other than to “make money”. Lots of companies made digital MP3 players, then the iPod crushed all of them. Apple wanted to make MP3 players easy to use. The others wanted to cram as many features as they could in to their players. Remember the photo of Microsoft’s PC controller that had something like 30 buttons on it, compared to the Apple remote that had 4?

20090716-01-these-two-remotes-by-apple-left-apple-tv-and-1.jpg

If I understand the two theories correctly, in “Start With Why?” the USP comes last, and in “Fastlane” it comes first. Perhaps MJ is combining the “Brand” in to the “Why”, more than I realize.

If I wanted to start a computer security business, I could make a long list of services and products I offered. I could meet with companies and tell them the “How” and “What” I had to offer. I might say that my business goal was “to provide cost-effective information security”. Or maybe “to provide the best information security service possible”. That sounds nice, but what if I said “I want to make computers safe for businesses”? That is a “Why” a customer would want to support. How I did it, would be secondary.

MJ does say to focus on helping others. That the money made is a byproduct of helping them. Ideally, en masse. He also advocates making a friction-less machine that will make you money at a potentially unlimited speed, which is also good advice. It seems like a marriage between these, if Fastlane is lacking it, is to come up with the “Why”, and let let the Fastlane provide the “How” and “What”.

So anyway, I was reading Sinek’s book, and saw MJ make a post about the market not carrying what you wanted - and while I think he is right in the short term, I think Sinek is right in the long term.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I think it's an okay book, and a pretty good concept.

I feel it does link with TMF , the "Why" part of CENTS/CENTS could be seen as "Need". I find it a bit strange how you came to the conclusion that Apple's "why" was ease of use, when he clearly states that their "why" was to be different/rebellious (ironically creating a cult-like following of people who all use the same products).

Start with why is basically the vision statement of a company, the slogan, what the brand means to its founders. If you haven't found a need, how are you going to start with why? I feel that is one key missing ingredient in Sinek's book.

Want something better than Start with why? Try; 60 minute brand strategist.

Last edited by a moderator:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Which multi-million dollar business did Simon Sinek start? Can you please point me to it, my research only resulted in the usual "author, speaker, consultant" bullshit.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Which multi-million dollar business did Simon Sinek start? Can you please point me to it, my research only resulted in the usual "author, speaker, consultant" bullshit.

I put something like that in my original post but deleted it. "Sinek Partners" is the only company I came across on his wikipedia page, "F" knows what they did/do.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Glad @theag cleared the air.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
So anyway, I was reading Sinek’s book, and saw MJ make a post about the market not carrying what you wanted - and while I think he is right in the short term, I think Sinek is right in the long term.

I have a hard time understanding how you came to this conclusion. Where's the math in Sinek's hypothesis? While having a strong why can be useful for self motivation purposes, it's absolutely irrelevant to the wealth equation. If my goal is profit, why should I find a deeper purpose for my Pakistan based plastic coloring factory?

I think Sinek's book is intentionally misleading. It disguises as a guide for entrepreneurs, while it is in fact a self development tale aimed at the dreamers of this world.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

Your assumption that someone has to be successful at something, before they can be knowledgeable about it, I disagree with. Consider the case of Syd Field.

Syd Field never wrote a produced screenplay, but was THE Hollywood screenwriting guru for decades.

http://grantland.com/features/remembering-syd-field/

"The author and screenwriting guru Syd Field died over the weekend at his home in Beverly Hills. He was 77.

Field was not the first person to notice that well-told stories tend to have a beginning, a middle, and an end. But he was the first person to publish a mass-market how-to book for film screenwriters — 1979’s Screenplay — that posited a three-act structure, hinged at key moments by “plot points,” as the essence of a successful movie script. His ideas provided a road map to countless screenwriters, especially first-timers — including everyone from James Cameron to Tina Fey — and informed the way studio executives, critics, and average moviegoers thought and talked about screen stories. Screenplay remains the most influential book ever written about writing for film, even as other approaches (and other gurus) have come in and out of vogue."

There are plenty of other examples across many disciplines.

I agree with your skepticism mostly because the business world seems to have an inordinate number of fakes running around. I agree with what Sinek was saying because his arguments make sense to me, just as I agree with most of MJ's arguments.

A common question on this forum is - are MJ's methods transferable to other people? I don't recall ever seeing a convincing response to this. I expect they are out there, but there does not seem to be a catalogue of success stories. MJ has said that some will be described in his next book, and I look forward to reading about them. Do I sit on my hands and wait for some undeniable proof that his methods are transferable? No, because what he describes make sense to me.

I do remember success stories being described here: the paintbrush holder guy, the gherka suit guy, the electricity trading guy, app developers, website developers, but I think in each case, those people were successful before they got here. Still, the Fastlane methods make sense to me, so I am willing to try to apply them.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I have a hard time understanding how you came to this conclusion. Where's the math in Sinek's hypothesis? While having a strong why can be useful for self motivation purposes, it's absolutely irrelevant to the wealth equation. If my goal is profit, why should I find a deeper purpose for my Pakistan based plastic coloring factory?

I think Sinek's book is intentionally misleading. It disguises as a guide for entrepreneurs, while it is in fact a self development tale aimed at the dreamers of this world.

If I understand Sinek's argument, your goal should not simply be "profit".

And if I understand MJ's argument, your goal should not simply be "profit".

So if your goal is just "profit", I would say - good luck with that.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
'Aπὸ τῶν καρπῶν αὐτῶν ἐπιγνώσεσθε αὐτούς.

What's the fruit of application? If you've used Sinek's book as a guide, how is business for you? How do you see yourself profiting that you didn't before reading? How is that profit distinct from where you'd be with fast lane methodology?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
'Aπὸ τῶν καρπῶν αὐτῶν ἐπιγνώσεσθε αὐτούς.

What's the fruit of application? If you've used Sinek's book as a guide, how is business for you? How do you see yourself profiting that you didn't before reading? How is that profit distinct from where you'd be with fast lane methodology?

Instead of calling this thread "sinek vs fastlane", I probably should have called it "sinek + fastlane". [Edit: I just changed it] The difference, to me, is that Sinek seems to be advocating creating a "dream" that your users can benefit from, so they will want to support you in your business. This is different than saying the customer doesn't care anything about you. There is an opportunity for the customer to care about your success, and if that caring is nurtured, instead of ignored, you can have much more loyal customers.

It is often said that if you are competing on price, you have already lost. The idea is that if all the customer cares about is price, they will switch to whomever can undercut your price. The solution to this is typically to add "features", have a "USP", make sure your product is somehow better. What Sinek is saying is that you don't even have to compete on features. If the customer wants you to succeed, they will overlook features, and still purchase from. Apple sells a lot of under-powered hardware at a high price, how? They make a "hockey puck" mouse, and people work around it. They make a lot of mistakes, but people still like them. Why? The "Why" is what Sinek is saying your should start with.

If you didn't necessarily have to compete on price OR features, wouldn't you be in a better position?

The benefit to me, instead of focusing how I can create a product that has the best features, I should first focus on creating a win-win dream that customers will want me to succeed at. For example, instead of creating an audio tweaking app that has 500 features, I may want to help users listen to audio files in an optimal manner. I want what is best for them, and they want me to succeed. If I only have 5 features, but the customers believe in what I am doing, they are more inclined to stick with me.

Once I have my "noble effort" of a win-win dream, then I can pursue that using the fastlane methodology. The FL methods can help me filter out efforts that limit my profitability.

I wonder if when MJ made limos.com, if he was just trying to have the most features, or if he had a "dream" like "I want to remove the advertising risk for Limo companies". If he did, those Limo companies would want him to succeed. If he charged a little more, or whatever, they would not have jumped ship for a competitor.

So what I am doing? I am considering my options. I am no longer working on adding features to existing products, because those products may not support my "noble effort". I am beginning to think about what I can bring to the table, that customers would want me to succeed at. Said efforts would have to be pursue-able using a FL methodology.

Sinek has different stuff in his book. The only real part I am thinking about, is the idea have trying to have customers that want you succeed. I think his book is actually about leadership, rather than business per se.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
is the idea have trying to have customers that want you succeed.

This is branding, marketing, and storytelling-- and a little bit of mold-making of NEED. And great branding, marketing, and storytelling is great for business.

IMO, you're not seeing the forest through the trees -- this stuff does not make up the wide-angle of a Fastlane, it only clarifies it.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
This is branding, marketing, and storytelling-- and a little bit of mold-making of NEED. And great branding, marketing, and storytelling is great for business.

IMO, you're not seeing the forest through the trees -- this stuff does not make up the wide-angle of a Fastlane, it only clarifies it.

I am clearly missing something. I thought the "brand' was a businesses identity, who they are, what they deliver. I thought USP was what differentiated their product from competitors. I did not think either of these included the "intent" of the business. Maybe I am trying to anthropomorphize the business by treating it like a human.

If Apple's "brand" is that they are "the company that makes easy-to-use computers", and as a consumer, I want to support that - maybe that is the same thing as Apple saying "we want to make computers easy-to-use" and me wanting to support that.

If Lamborghini says "we are the company that makes the most beautiful and powerful cars in the world", that would not be as good as them saying "We want to make cars that are as appealing and high-performance as our customers are." The first is a statement of identity, the second is an invitation to be appealing and high-performance.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I know right! When the google results look kind of doubtful, shit could get r-

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Maybe I'm over-thinking this.

I think you're getting confused with what "start with why" is entirely. I'll try to explain below:

Apple isn't the company that makes "easy to use computers". They are the company that makes different computers. Different/rebellious was their "why". Did Jobs and Wozniak really "start with why" though? Or, does it just seem that way working backwards in an academic approach as Sinek does? Not entirely sure myself.

Lamborghini doesn't say they make the most beautiful or powerful cars in the world. They make bonkers mental cars that look great on posters and are fast (but not the fastest). That isn't their "why", their "why" is the lifestyle/status aspect. Did they start with why? According to Wikipedia, the original idea was to compete in the GT market against Ferrari, so they started as a competitor in a luxury market, and ended up where they are now which is somewhere else entirely IMO. Lamborghini himself first built farming equipment.

I'm forgetting the other examples in the book. But if you "start with why" there still has to be a need. Need being a key component of MJ's book.

The "why" is the vision statement, it isn't a "USP". Charities are good examples of starting with why; Cancer research, why? To end cancer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.