The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Speed bumps

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TrevorPrice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
Hello! If you haven’t met me yet, I’m Trevor.

Where I last left off was letting you guys know I was trying to learn code to help build my website. To make a long story short, I learned a bit, built a decent amount of my website, then quickly realized that the functionality aspect of it would require a much more skilled developer. A friend of a friend checked out my website (which is extremely bare-bones right now) and I told them the ins and outs of what I would want it to do and how I would want it to work. They said I would probably need a full-stack developer to help me with this. This was coming from someone who has been coding for years and years.

So, I know now it’s most likely not reasonable for me to learn to do this type of coding in even a semi-quick fashion.

This is not deterring me from seeing this through. I can’t recall if it was in TMF or Unscripted that said the harder it is to start something the more opportunity there is in the idea. So, now it’s on to brainstorming again. I have someone that reached out to me through twitter a while back that said they might be able to code what I’m looking for. I’m talking with them now to see where their head is at.

I guess the hardest part about all of this is I’m willing to invest in the people necessary to complete the website, but I don’t have a whole lot myself to invest right now (I guess that’s probably most people’s issue). I’m currently in the middle of moving cities, my job is giving me the run around on transferring me to the store where I’m moving to (probably looking to quit soon and get a different job, maybe one in sales so I can learn a little bit about it), and we basically had to buy a ton of stuff for when we move in to the new place. On top of all of that we have rent and student loans starting up as well. So it’s just a lot piling on me right now and I’m a little bit overwhelmed. I thought making this post would help get my thoughts clear and written out, show you guys where my head is at, and hopefully clear my mind to think on how to move forward.

If you read the whole thing, thank you! If you have any advice please let me know! I’m really happy to be apart of this community, every post I’ve made so far has at least 2-5 people helping and commenting and it’s all greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Trevor

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013

Where I last left off was letting you guys know I was trying to learn code to help build my website. To make a long story short, I learned a bit, built a decent amount of my website, then quickly realized that the functionality aspect of it would require a much more skilled developer. A friend of a friend checked out my website (which is extremely bare-bones right now) and I told them the ins and outs of what I would want it to do and how I would want it to work. They said I would probably need a full-stack developer to help me with this. This was coming from someone who has been coding for years and years.

So, I know now it’s most likely not reasonable for me to learn to do this type of coding in even a semi-quick fashion.

This is not deterring me from seeing this through. I can’t recall if it was in TMF or Unscripted that said the harder it is to start something the more opportunity there is in the idea. So, now it’s on to brainstorming again. I have someone that reached out to me through twitter a while back that said they might be able to code what I’m looking for. I’m talking with them now to see where their head is at.

I guess the hardest part about all of this is I’m willing to invest in the people necessary to complete the website, but I don’t have a whole lot myself to invest right now (I guess that’s probably most people’s issue). I’m currently in the middle of moving cities, my job is giving me the run around on transferring me to the store where I’m moving to (probably looking to quit soon and get a different job, maybe one in sales so I can learn a little bit about it), and we basically had to buy a ton of stuff for when we move in to the new place. On top of all of that we have rent and student loans starting up as well. So it’s just a lot piling on me right now and I’m a little bit overwhelmed. I thought making this post would help get my thoughts clear and written out, show you guys where my head is at, and hopefully clear my mind to think on how to move forward.

If you read the whole thing, thank you! If you have any advice please let me know! I’m really happy to be apart of this community, every post I’ve made so far has at least 2-5 people helping and commenting and it’s all greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Trevor
Before investing money to build a website, have you done any validation on the business side? Do you have people that want to pay for what you are building?

TrevorPrice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
Before investing money to build a website, have you done any validation on the business side? Do you have people that want to pay for what you are building?
Yes! I know that if this website were up and running smoothly and functioning how I envision it, it would sell very well.

It has to do with live-streaming (not with Netflix and Hulu but with video games and whatnot, on something like Twitch) and I’ve talked with many people in the community and they all seem to think it would be of great benefit.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Have you looked to make sure their isn’t a plugin available that would get you somewhere near where you need to be? Or close enough you could have it adapted to fit?

Launch as lean as you can then build on the bells and whistles as time and money permit. Don’t hold yourself back by waiting until you have an all singing and all dancing solution.

I can’t recall if it was in TMF or Unscripted that said the harder it is to start something the more opportunity there is in the idea. So, now it’s on to brainstorming again

Don’t be under the illusion that just because it is hard for you it will be hard for everyone. A seasoned coder could be working on such a site right now so don’t let the grass grow under your feet.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Choices

Never Settle
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Sep 3, 2019
Switzerland
and we basically had to buy a ton of stuff for when we move in to the new place.
What is this ton of stuff you have to buy?

A seasoned coder could be working on such a site right now
...and get it done by the time you decide who to partner with to get it done...

and I’ve talked with many people in the community and they all seem to think it would be of great benefit.
I wish it would be that simple but that's not how it works. And if it's the gaming community that you've talked with then...yea, what can I say..

Here's my 2 cents. Looking at what you wrote so far, from 10k feet it looks like you're heading towards spending your time and possibly money to learn a lesson which you can learn without the spend.

I would recommend detailing your idea here so that people can advise you better.

If you are worried about your idea being stolen, don't worry, if it's "something like Twitch" then it's going to be easily copied the second you launch unless it has something that cannot be easily copied.

TrevorPrice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan

Thanks again!

Trevor
So, update...

I mentioned how my work was giving me the runaround on transferring me. Well, today they pulled me into the office and said that my transfer was rejected because I talk to other employees too much and I have a hard time staying in my department. The funny thing about this is I’ve only not finished my work a handful of times in the 2 years I’ve worked there. So my talking and helping in other departments obviously doesn’t effect my work. PLUS, I only talk to others and help in other departments because I like to keep moral up and spirits high... So, I had my FTE (F*ck this event) and quit. I punched out, walked up to my manager, and said “I just clocked out and todays my last day” and just LEFT. It felt amazing.

So, for just a second, I need to take a step back from my website and find a job. I don’t really care where I’m working or what I’m doing just to be able to make enough to live for now. Plus my gf just got an accounting job that’s bringing in more money than either of us has ever seen.

So, in the grand scheme of things I’m going to be okay and I know I made the right decision. I am 100% taking control of my life now and there isn’t anything that can stop me.

Clay Alexander

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Sep 22, 2020
NI in UK
Yes! I know that if this website were up and running smoothly and functioning how I envision it, it would sell very well.

It has to do with live-streaming (not with Netflix and Hulu but with video games and whatnot, on something like Twitch) and I’ve talked with many people in the community and they all seem to think it would be of great benefit.

With respect, how do you *know* it would "sell very well"? Is this a gut feeling? Or do you have people trying to put money in your hand already for it? Have you validated this idea? Have you run ads to a landing page for example?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.