The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sound big or sound authentic?

Sound big or sound authentic?

• Sound big, it makes you professional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sound authentic, people like humans not companies

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Mixture of both?

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Singularity73

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 3, 2018
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,
Just a quick question. If you're the only person behind your business, do you use words like "we" and "our" to sound big and professional? Or do you be real and use words like "I", "my", etc.

I keep questioning this all the time, my business is in educational technology and all the competitors are proper companies with teams of developers and then there's just me! When I started I used "we" to sound big but then changed to "I". I'm thinking about putting a story on an "about us" page of my site which explains how it started and exposes that there is just me behind it but not sure yet. (People might get put off by a 19 year old running something alone).

I think MJ might have addressed this briefly in one of his books, where he made it sound big but responded to customer service quickly and authentically so the customer felt it was an actual person, so not directly exposing himself. I may be wrong but I remember something like that. Now that I think about it more, I think he also said about putting a face to your brand to humanize it, so maybe this is a good idea after all.

I'm curious to see what others are doing still.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Singularity73

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 3, 2018
United Kingdom
Sound authentic and deliver big.

My very first dev gig was at 16. Only a couple hundred bucks, but that didn't stop me.
Cool, yeah I'm not sure what made me think that. I guess just that most businesses appear to have a team behind them so that's what people are used to.

B_Mac

Redneck Oligarch
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Apr 10, 2017
Southwest Virginia
Sound big to suppliers so they take you serious (some may not want to deal with new, small businesses)

For your customers, be (not just sound) authentic. Have a genuine interest in them and how you’re making their life better by providing them your service or product.

For competitors, I follow Jeff Bezos’ advice. Make the customer say wow, and the rest will take care of itself

Singularity73

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 3, 2018
United Kingdom
Sound big to suppliers so they take you serious (some may not want to deal with new, small businesses)

For your customers, be (not just sound) authentic. Have a genuine interest in them and how you’re making their life better by providing them your service or product.

For competitors, I follow Jeff Bezos’ advice. Make the customer say wow, and the rest will take care of itself
Great advice, thanks!

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
I tend to say "we" naturally. It really doesn't make you sound big. "We" can literally be two of you.

Put an About Us, and what has driven you to create this company. You don't need to mention your age unless it's somehow relevant to your product. You don't need to say you started this company your first year of college, or in high school, or whatever. Saying why you created the company, what your mission is, and why you're the right person to do it is more than enough.

Beyond that, follow the other advice in this thread. If you're wow'ing your customers, they aren't going to even think to ask how old you are.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Sounding big, no question
When it comes to attracting new dollars, you need to have as much credibility as possible. All that one man band stuff sounds sweet, but if you're trying to operate on a high level, then it will get you nowhwere

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Sound authentic to your consumers, sound big to your vendors and competition.

CDNY

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 18, 2018
New York
It's better to be upfront and honest with everyone you're working with and for. In my experience, clients are more comfortable with smaller businesses because they expect more personable, prompt service from them. It's not beneficial to lie or exaggerate to potential partners, employees or vendors either as this can lead to massive headaches down the road. Sounding/looking big can sometimes have its advantages, but nothing is more embarrassing than when you get found out so why even risk it.

Saystim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 21, 2018
I will go with the word "we" as every business is set up with the combined efforts of the members working in a company. It has a more potential to describe your business with an impact on the other person. I use it in my daily life as well. Am I doing right?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.