The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sorry, But MJ (or the forum) Can't Make Your Life Decisions For You!!

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
"Almost everyday ... and they are BIG decisions."

As Mj already knows, im sure, these people are simply trying to confide in somone and want someone to make their decisions for them instead of them making the decisions. This is very common among people who seek approval from others; I’m not a psychiatrist MJ but this usually starts with their conflict within themselves or from lack of support from their parents or others around them. They simply need somone else who they feel is knowledgeable to give them the go ahead, even though they know what must be done, they just aren’t listening to themselves. These people will be lost until they realize that they alone can make their decisions, no matter how difficult they are; when you hold a gun in your hands your the only one pulling the trigger.

Hokoleskwa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
May 25, 2011
Denver
I think often times people who are considering taking a big risk want a more experienced or successful person to tell them they're making the right choice so that the risk will feel safe. But if you refuse to step outside your comfort zone and walk the wire without a net, you'll never realize your full potential.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
WADM Success Story: I completely changed my employment set-up using this outline. I now have time to work and bring home a GREATER income, attend class online, AND hone skills I know I'll need for my targeted niche. It's not an easy schedule, however, without quitting a dead end job and risking my wimpy looking resume in an unstable job market, it wouldn't even be possible. It's a complete 180 degree switch from the direction I was headed, and when I asked for advice on these forums about 6 months ago on what to do, NO ONE recommended this route. MJ and everyone else is absolutely right when they say your decisions are best made by you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Blueskies4me

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 9, 2014
Noblesville, Indiana
Same with "Tell me what your product / niche is!" Duplication isn't in the "product" it's in the blood sweat & tears of process which is what people are showing you here. Duplicate their PROCESS, man! That's gold! Life isn't going to wait for you to make decisions. Worst you can do is fail forward.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Right, okay then let's reword this MJ? in your BIASED opinion if you were me, which your not TODAY, but there was a time.you have less than $1000 you want to feed your baby and are working full time, thinking you want to hop off the sidewalk and skip the slowlane,your resources are TINY heck your spending money to use OPR would you look for a second job.

In the "we can't make your life decisions" thread you ask this.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
QUOTE ="BigBrianC, post: 469945, member: 28432"]In the "we can't make your life decisions" thread you ask this.[ QUOTE ]

Right, this is what I saw:
Should I {Enter HUGE Decision Here}?
Beautiful, AllenCrawley, I tried to work on my English,gave up when
no matter how hard I worked I could never get an period or comma in the right
place.Comma-Splicing, too many commas or not enough.

In short I am looking for an informed decision whether I should look for a second job
I don't care if the opinion is BIASED my fear scrapping the project before my prototype gets built
or worse dying and not living to see it in stores.
Why do you have to ask anyone this? No money for a prototype? Get another job or hustle for the extra cash. You are wasting time waiting for someone to give you a 'biased' opinion when you should be doing whatever it takes.

Last edited by a moderator:

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada

In short I am looking for an informed decision whether I should look for a second job
I don't care if the opinion is BIASED my fear scrapping the project before my prototype gets built

Biased opinion: MAKE IT HAPPEN!
Do whatever the F*ck you need to do to get this thing proven, built and selling. Otherwise why are you here?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
MJ, you are right: only I know me and what makes me happy: vegan bodybuilding and sex with woman i love. It that wrong? That is me. I am not hurting anyone. But I am always thinking about what I can do to help people about money being debt and causing the most trouble in life. We are all slaves to it I believe. WE cannot do much without money. I think about creating a new money, or educating others than we should distribute the money available to all people equally. Or maybe we should start sharing more and using money less. I am confused and tired with everyone telling me how to live my one life. I am a single 40 year old dad
that loves working out and sex. I cannot forget what you said in your book about doing only one thing: eat, sleep, XXXX that one thing. I originally published a magazine in 2008 about bodybuilding and sexy Asian ladies. Now that I have 2 unsuccessful marriages I what to love many woman and sell my magazines online. Jay

Weed, eh?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You signed a contract. You breached the contract. You got penalized.
You're a F*ckup.
You were likely a F*ckup before this F*ckup.
You know that you're a F*ckup.
I know because during my first enlistment, I f*cked up on a regular basis.

You can do better. Before you can do better, you must be better.
Before you respond to me. Research me. Then think.

Alright guys, I haven’t been on here in a while because I’ve had a lot going on recently (unfortunately, it’s been job related, and not so much my own entrepreneurial endeavors). What I’m about to share here some of you may not agree with, and perhaps you’d be in the right. Others of you may think what I did was acceptable and okay, maybe even the right move (me)?

As someone who has only recently had my cherry popped, as far as discovering the Fastlane goes, I’ve really become fascinated with the idea of becoming a young millionaire. Right now, I guess you could say I’m in the learning phase of doing what I want to do, and I don’t plan on making any kind of money for at least a year.

I’ve always been in love with the idea of just quitting your job and going for whatever it is you want to go for. I guess that’s why I made this crazy decision.

You see, I’m in the Navy, and it’s hard being in the Navy and ALSO being a member of the Fastlane Forum.

All these ideas I hear on the forum about being free, doing whatever the F*ck you want, and breaking out of the slavery of the slow lane, they’re enough to make you lick your lips with lust.

The Navy is the epitome of the slow lane. How many times a day do I hear: “it’s a steady paycheck, 401K (they call it the Thrift Saving Plan in the Navy), benefits, security, can’t wait until Friday.”

You can imagine, I walk through the ship cringing quite often. Some people I really try to get through to, because I see potential in them, I see them being one of you guys, but others? It’s pointless.

They think I’M crazy for not wanting to Re-Enlist, “what are you going to do for money? Will you have free Medical like you do in the military?”

Anyway, it got to the point where it just became too much. It’s almost impossible to get anything done in the Navy. Just when you start to get something going, like making phone calls to build a buyers list, writing a first novel, or taking a marketing course online, you have to go out to sea for two weeks to a month.

In port, outside of the regular work week, you have to stand a duty day on the ship, which will fall on a Saturday and a Sunday twice a month. So for an ENTIRE day, you can’t leave the ship (if you do you’re in big trouble).

If you value your time, this will kill you inside. There’s no internet on the ship, and shitty cell phone service. I’ll usually just spend any free time I have—which is very little—writing my novel or reading a book. But most of the time, I have to do it in short bursts because I’ll get tasked with some menial task like taking out my Department Head’s trash.

For two years I put up with this shit. Going out to sea, duty days, shitty food, four hour watches at two in the morning, thousands of ridiculous rules, saluting pencil dick officers, taking orders from retards, and being bombarded like an ISIS cave, with slow lane mentality. On top of that, they recently extended our working hours.

After two years of going out to sea, and even a seven month long deployment to the Middle East, I finally said I had enough.

It was the last underway of the year, after that we wouldn’t be going out to sea again for six months because we’d be going to the ship yards, which is where the ship goes through a long period of serious repair.

When I woke up that morning, I had no idea that I was going to do what I was going to do. When I got to the ship, I hated everyone’s faces, just looking at them made me angry. There were full grown men who outranked me, acting like they were middle schoolers, it was HOT, it was humid, and there was toxic smoke all throughout the air. A girl I had asked out the Friday before, who had told me no, had spread the word to her friends, and they were all giggling.

Finally, just as I was standing there fuming, someone came up to me and said:

“Sins (not my real last name lol), go take out the trash.”

That was it.

“With pleasure,” I said.

The ship was about to leave in an hour, it was now or never. I grabbed my laptop, the only thing I needed, stuffed it into the garbage bag (so I wouldn’t arouse suspicion), and walked off the ship.

At this point, there was no plan, other than doing something so crazy, it would get me kicked out of the military.

I booked a plane ticket to Aruba, and left the next day. I picked up some weed while I was there. It was a really nice time. My trip there consisted of reading, writing my novel, taking a copywriting course, diving, going to the beach, talking to some local girls (didn’t get laid unfortunately), and smoking a shit load of weed.

I had to come back though. Being gone for 30 days would have made me a deserter, which can get you in BIG trouble. I just did my 10 days, and came back to the ship. That was the hardest part.

I got a lot of different reactions when I got back:

“Dude, that’s the most savage story I’ve ever heard!”

“What the hell were you thinking?” They’d say, shaking their heads. “You’re going to be a bum when you get out.” Well, they didn’t say those EXACT words lol, but the way they said it, you could tell that’s what they meant.

Others didn’t think it was my smartest move, but knew I would “excel”—to quote one of my good friends—on the outside.

Finally, I had to face the Captain. Apparently, the whole ship was looking for me because they thought I had gone overboard. So, the Captain gave me 45 days of Restriction, which is pretty much extra chores and dirty work, I can’t leave the ship, I can’t use any electronic devices, I have to muster up in uniform 6 times a day, I’m surrounded by a bunch of delinquents, and I have to wear this red badge across my chest. On top of that, he bumped me down in rank, and cut THAT pay in half for a month. AND…I’m getting kicked out of the military with an Other Than Honorable Discharge. I want to say “ouch,” but that was the plan all along, stupid or not.

So that’s where I’m at now. I’ve managed to sneak onto a computer and write this because I’m still on my 4th day of Restriction. I’ll be getting kicked to the curb, and processed out in roughly two months. With the money I have saved up I can go anywhere in the world.

I may have to work a job until I can get my ideas off the ground (I actually have a really profitable idea I’ve been working on for a while now, more to come later on that), but no job would be a fraction of how bad this job was.

So there it is. I managed to quit my job in the military, and will be hungry and on the streets soon enough with my Other Than Honorable Discharge.

I actually wanted to ask your guys’ opinion about this BEFORE I did it, because I had been entertaining the idea for a while, I just had no idea I would actually do it.

However, after reading MJ’s post about making your own decisions, and not counting on other people to make them for you, especially the big ones, I knew that I was the only one who could make this call. After all, I’m the only one who really knows my situation.

So far, I believe I’ve made the right decision. Why? Because I’d do it again if the Captain changed his mind.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts? Good or bad, just be honest.

MonicaK

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Oct 20, 2016
I'm starting to receive a lot of emails, and even messages on this forum that request advice on major, life-changing decisions ... as if, I, and the forum, holds some type of crystal ball that knows the right decision for your life, your family, and your happiness.

Do I quit my job?
Do I move across the country?
Do I build the website myself? Or outsource?
Do I risk going into business with Joe Blow or stay in school?
Do I start this business? Or that business?
Do I wipe my a$$ with scented toilet paper or not?
Do I do this?
Do I do that?

Folks, I don't know!

I can't make these decisions for you.

The forum cannot make these decisions for you.

Everyone is different and only you know you. Some people are dealmakers. Some are introverts. Some are networkers. Some are analytical geniuses.

And yet, please understand that every decision of major consequence in your life carries with it RISK. And yet, RISK is fundamental to the Fastlane because it is the ROAD LESS TRAVELED and often involves sacrifice, and hard-work beyond the "well-traveled" road.

You have to do what is right for YOU and what YOU think will make you happy. And guess what? For some folks, that just might be a Slowlane -- no worries -- life is about happiness and being resolute in your dreams and goals. Whatever path you take, understand that everything extraordinary in life often involved an extraordinary risk.

If you are having trouble making a big decision in your life, I suggest you use the WADM decision matrix that I have used so many times in my life.

Got a Tough Choice? HelpMyDecision.com Helps You Make Better Decisions!

I have been HAPPY in every decision this matrix solved for me.

So to sum it up, I don't know if you should quit college.
I don't know if you should quit your job.
I don't know if you should move to another country.
I don't know if you should quit that business and start another.
I don't know if you should piss-off your parents and do what they don't want.
I don't know if you should learn how to code, or just partner.

And sadly,
the forum doesn't know if you should quit your job.
the forum doesn't know if you should move to another country.
the forum doesn't know if you should quit that business and start another.
the forum doesn't know if you should piss-off your parents and do what they don't want.
the forum doesn't know if you should learn how to code, or just partner.

While I'm flattered that I am asked about such big decisions, my answers are automatically BIASED based on my life experience. The forum responds in the same fashion.

This does not guarantee you will get a good answer based on what is best for YOU.

Take a deep breath, and ask yourself ... What is going to make me happy not just this week, but over the long term? Should you be blessed with another 40 years of life, is this the path you want to take? And remember, not all of life is rainbows and unicorns, the challenging path is the path of growth.

As for my take on decisions, you should already know what my answer will be ... the Fastlane path. But again, that is ME.

I am not you.

You may possess other strengths, talents, and attributes that make the other answer, BETTER.

:cool: :pompus:

Good luck and happy decision-making!

Thanks so much for all of the help you've given on the forum so far.

I remember getting your email reply back (about a year ago) after I sent you a thank you email for writing TMF as soon as I finished reading the book.

I printed out your reply and have it stuck on my vision board.

The WADM has helped me make my own independent decisions and joining the forum has taught me a lot about entrepreneurship. (Not to mention reading the book over and over).

Thanks for another great GOLD post!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Some people deify the people they read. They've suddenly met a god. He knows everything. They should ask him, or pray to him. And his answer is the word of God.

That's shit. Such people need to grow. The Fastlane is growth. It is enlightenment. It is not some rituals some performed in some specialised manner.

I have decided to keep my dayjob. It pays me peanuts. I don't want another one. Even if it pays more. That's my choice. It allowed me time to read much fiction and write smoothly, clearly and simply. Besides, I learn much from the administration of the place. Something I cannot find anywhere easily.

I have decided to take on a course online. It needs numerous hours. I have a job. I sleep most times past midnight and wake up at dawn. I don't have time to talk to my friends as much. But in 12 months I will have a specialised skill. I can sell it or use to make a unit I may sell.

Decisions are majorly personal. You take action and are responsible for the consequences or results of such actions.

You can't outsource decisions to a virtual friend on the other side of the earth.

I like the you've handled this @MJ

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
People send me private messages, and I'll help you solve your problems.

Better yet, pay me $15 dollar for every 10 minutes and I'll give you a tarot reading.

-
kidding here

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Capital

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 16, 2013
Make your own decisions
"If you don’t make a decision, a decision will be made for you. And if someone else makes the decision for you, it might not be fixable." -Ronald Perelman

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
QUOTE ="BigBrianC, post: 469945, member: 28432"]In the "we can't make your life decisions" thread you ask this.[ QUOTE ]

I think you're looking at things too black and white here. You're assuming there are only 2 answers. There's only 1 answer to this. If you're serious about getting off the sidewalk, make it happen by any means. If that means getting a second job to bring your prototype to fruition, then do it.
my biased answer: do it smart.

We don't know if you should get a second job or not because we're not you. By you asking for the answers it's coming off as you know the answer already but are doubting your answer and want validation. Do what you have to do to make it happen.

samsara

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Mar 6, 2013
Mexico
Bump

“If you always make the right decision, the safe decision,
the one most people make, you will be the same as everyone else.”
― Paul Arden

BeFound Faithful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Dec 19, 2015
Southern California
I'll chime in here a bit...

My business only started improving when I said, 'screw what all of you think, I'm going to do what I think is best for my business.' EVEN THOUGH it went against conventional wisdom, and what I knew to be the 'correct' decision.

Before that moment, I was trying to do things based on what all the experts 'out there' thought about my business. Doing this, though, I was giving up my strength by not being fully engaged in my business. Business and life takes full engagement, not half-hearted attempts. It requires good decisions for the majority of the hundreds of decisions we make each day. The only way for those decisions to work is to be fully engaged, committed and in control of what you're doing.

Not that you shouldn't ask for advice. You should. But, take the advice and then make your own decision.

The book Originals: How Non-conformists move the world by Adam Grant and Sheryl Sandberg would support your approach, Jon L. The book is all about successes that went against conventional wisdom.

Olie Sins

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 28, 2017
World Wide
I'm starting to receive a lot of emails, and even messages on this forum that request advice on major, life-changing decisions ... as if, I, and the forum, holds some type of crystal ball that knows the right decision for your life, your family, and your happiness.

Do I quit my job?
Do I move across the country?
Do I build the website myself? Or outsource?
Do I risk going into business with Joe Blow or stay in school?
Do I start this business? Or that business?
Do I wipe my a$$ with scented toilet paper or not?
Do I do this?
Do I do that?

Folks, I don't know!

I can't make these decisions for you.

The forum cannot make these decisions for you.

Everyone is different and only you know you. Some people are dealmakers. Some are introverts. Some are networkers. Some are analytical geniuses.

And yet, please understand that every decision of major consequence in your life carries with it RISK. And yet, RISK is fundamental to the Fastlane because it is the ROAD LESS TRAVELED and often involves sacrifice, and hard-work beyond the "well-traveled" road.

You have to do what is right for YOU and what YOU think will make you happy. And guess what? For some folks, that just might be a Slowlane -- no worries -- life is about happiness and being resolute in your dreams and goals. Whatever path you take, understand that everything extraordinary in life often involved an extraordinary risk.

If you are having trouble making a big decision in your life, I suggest you use the WADM decision matrix that I have used so many times in my life.

Got a Tough Choice? HelpMyDecision.com Helps You Make Better Decisions!

I have been HAPPY in every decision this matrix solved for me.

So to sum it up, I don't know if you should quit college.
I don't know if you should quit your job.
I don't know if you should move to another country.
I don't know if you should quit that business and start another.
I don't know if you should piss-off your parents and do what they don't want.
I don't know if you should learn how to code, or just partner.

And sadly,
the forum doesn't know if you should quit your job.
the forum doesn't know if you should move to another country.
the forum doesn't know if you should quit that business and start another.
the forum doesn't know if you should piss-off your parents and do what they don't want.
the forum doesn't know if you should learn how to code, or just partner.

While I'm flattered that I am asked about such big decisions, my answers are automatically BIASED based on my life experience. The forum responds in the same fashion.

This does not guarantee you will get a good answer based on what is best for YOU.

Take a deep breath, and ask yourself ... What is going to make me happy not just this week, but over the long term? Should you be blessed with another 40 years of life, is this the path you want to take? And remember, not all of life is rainbows and unicorns, the challenging path is the path of growth.

As for my take on decisions, you should already know what my answer will be ... the Fastlane path. But again, that is ME.

I am not you.

You may possess other strengths, talents, and attributes that make the other answer, BETTER.

:cool: :pompus:

Good luck and happy decision-making!

Alright guys, I haven’t been on here in a while because I’ve had a lot going on recently (unfortunately, it’s been job related, and not so much my own entrepreneurial endeavors). What I’m about to share here some of you may not agree with, and perhaps you’d be in the right. Others of you may think what I did was acceptable and okay, maybe even the right move (me)?

As someone who has only recently had my cherry popped, as far as discovering the Fastlane goes, I’ve really become fascinated with the idea of becoming a young millionaire. Right now, I guess you could say I’m in the learning phase of doing what I want to do, and I don’t plan on making any kind of money for at least a year.

I’ve always been in love with the idea of just quitting your job and going for whatever it is you want to go for. I guess that’s why I made this crazy decision.

You see, I’m in the Navy, and it’s hard being in the Navy and ALSO being a member of the Fastlane Forum.

All these ideas I hear on the forum about being free, doing whatever the F*ck you want, and breaking out of the slavery of the slow lane, they’re enough to make you lick your lips with lust.

The Navy is the epitome of the slow lane. How many times a day do I hear: “it’s a steady paycheck, 401K (they call it the Thrift Saving Plan in the Navy), benefits, security, can’t wait until Friday.”

You can imagine, I walk through the ship cringing quite often. Some people I really try to get through to, because I see potential in them, I see them being one of you guys, but others? It’s pointless.

They think I’M crazy for not wanting to Re-Enlist, “what are you going to do for money? Will you have free Medical like you do in the military?”

Anyway, it got to the point where it just became too much. It’s almost impossible to get anything done in the Navy. Just when you start to get something going, like making phone calls to build a buyers list, writing a first novel, or taking a marketing course online, you have to go out to sea for two weeks to a month.

In port, outside of the regular work week, you have to stand a duty day on the ship, which will fall on a Saturday and a Sunday twice a month. So for an ENTIRE day, you can’t leave the ship (if you do you’re in big trouble).

If you value your time, this will kill you inside. There’s no internet on the ship, and shitty cell phone service. I’ll usually just spend any free time I have—which is very little—writing my novel or reading a book. But most of the time, I have to do it in short bursts because I’ll get tasked with some menial task like taking out my Department Head’s trash.

For two years I put up with this shit. Going out to sea, duty days, shitty food, four hour watches at two in the morning, thousands of ridiculous rules, saluting pencil dick officers, taking orders from retards, and being bombarded like an ISIS cave, with slow lane mentality. On top of that, they recently extended our working hours.

After two years of going out to sea, and even a seven month long deployment to the Middle East, I finally said I had enough.

It was the last underway of the year, after that we wouldn’t be going out to sea again for six months because we’d be going to the ship yards, which is where the ship goes through a long period of serious repair.

When I woke up that morning, I had no idea that I was going to do what I was going to do. When I got to the ship, I hated everyone’s faces, just looking at them made me angry. There were full grown men who outranked me, acting like they were middle schoolers, it was HOT, it was humid, and there was toxic smoke all throughout the air. A girl I had asked out the Friday before, who had told me no, had spread the word to her friends, and they were all giggling.

Finally, just as I was standing there fuming, someone came up to me and said:

“Sins (not my real last name lol), go take out the trash.”

That was it.

“With pleasure,” I said.

The ship was about to leave in an hour, it was now or never. I grabbed my laptop, the only thing I needed, stuffed it into the garbage bag (so I wouldn’t arouse suspicion), and walked off the ship.

At this point, there was no plan, other than doing something so crazy, it would get me kicked out of the military.

I booked a plane ticket to Aruba, and left the next day. I picked up some weed while I was there. It was a really nice time. My trip there consisted of reading, writing my novel, taking a copywriting course, diving, going to the beach, talking to some local girls (didn’t get laid unfortunately), and smoking a shit load of weed.

I had to come back though. Being gone for 30 days would have made me a deserter, which can get you in BIG trouble. I just did my 10 days, and came back to the ship. That was the hardest part.

I got a lot of different reactions when I got back:

“Dude, that’s the most savage story I’ve ever heard!”

“What the hell were you thinking?” They’d say, shaking their heads. “You’re going to be a bum when you get out.” Well, they didn’t say those EXACT words lol, but the way they said it, you could tell that’s what they meant.

Others didn’t think it was my smartest move, but knew I would “excel”—to quote one of my good friends—on the outside.

Finally, I had to face the Captain. Apparently, the whole ship was looking for me because they thought I had gone overboard. So, the Captain gave me 45 days of Restriction, which is pretty much extra chores and dirty work, I can’t leave the ship, I can’t use any electronic devices, I have to muster up in uniform 6 times a day, I’m surrounded by a bunch of delinquents, and I have to wear this red badge across my chest. On top of that, he bumped me down in rank, and cut THAT pay in half for a month. AND…I’m getting kicked out of the military with an Other Than Honorable Discharge. I want to say “ouch,” but that was the plan all along, stupid or not.

So that’s where I’m at now. I’ve managed to sneak onto a computer and write this because I’m still on my 4th day of Restriction. I’ll be getting kicked to the curb, and processed out in roughly two months. With the money I have saved up I can go anywhere in the world.

I may have to work a job until I can get my ideas off the ground (I actually have a really profitable idea I’ve been working on for a while now, more to come later on that), but no job would be a fraction of how bad this job was.

So there it is. I managed to quit my job in the military, and will be hungry and on the streets soon enough with my Other Than Honorable Discharge.

I actually wanted to ask your guys’ opinion about this BEFORE I did it, because I had been entertaining the idea for a while, I just had no idea I would actually do it.

However, after reading MJ’s post about making your own decisions, and not counting on other people to make them for you, especially the big ones, I knew that I was the only one who could make this call. After all, I’m the only one who really knows my situation.

So far, I believe I’ve made the right decision. Why? Because I’d do it again if the Captain changed his mind.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts? Good or bad, just be honest.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.