The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Someone snap me out of it

Nilloss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 9, 2016
Hi, It's a pleasure to join.
Have visited this forum on and off for the last 3-4 years.

Intro:
20 years old.
Entrepreneurial interest began during senior years of high school around 16 as I was desperate for an alternative to my already pre-determined corporate future.
My research into entrepreneurial, business and investing concepts felt liberating like an long awaited passion that I was developing indirectly through my young desires for future feelings of adventure, change and achievement.
Due to bad sleeping habits, procrastination, lack of interest and effort I couldn't handle the work load from my classes (all being the harder ones mind you) and it crushed me until I started taking days off which eventually led to me not having a high enough attendance to finish school and thus I was kicked out.
I am not proud of this.
This wasn't the end for me, what I had learned from my late night entrepreneur research had told me school isn't everything. This is what my peers believed though so I felt some level of shame.
Ever since school was over, my mind became overloaded and stressed through indecisiveness. The three years since school was spent going crazy writing notes and documents creating plans, simplifying my interests trying to understand myself swapping from idea to idea depending on how I felt each week. Trying to generate a direction for myself was making me literally lose my mind, especially during the full time stock job I got last year for a year. I had countless sleepless nights where I would go, okay, I'm not sleeping till I pin point what it is i'm going to lock down on, and I never did. When I did though, I procrastinated out of fear and discouragement. What a F*cking waste of three years.
I realized among all this that nothing would ever perfectly fit my criteria and that I just want start looking like I'm actually doing something. At least I saved up during the year I worked at that stock job.
It's been three months since I quit and here I am. Not three months into any project, no, still at the damned drawing board.
So now I have a burning desire to put some action down, I don't care anymore about these parameters of potential, interest, security, career integrity etc. I just want something to my name.
The most fitting and prevalent idea I have at the moment is an e-store that is a combination of a blog/informative as well as a store that stocks selected formal male attire and products which I'm thinking I should do a progress log on this which leads me to say.
The reason I have posted this is I realize that external criticism and advisory is probably what I need and what better place to get that than here. Again, it's a pleasure to have joined the community and forgive me for my bed time story.

Oh and I did read the summary for the fast lane book. Its major distinction being to take focus off ones interests and put it into other peoples interests and needs has been a very helpful thought to me since I read it and I'm just wondering how I can apply it to my own ideas. I generated an opinon and a question throughout threading it. The opinion being that some people just create needs (steve jobs, the iphone) although you might argue that he was forfilling a need for a more effective and practical phone. The question being what are some practical ways on the internet to pursue peoples needs, could this be an idea in it's self, like a platform for complaints or whattheworldneeds.com

By the way anyone know if micromentor.org is worth it?

TLDR:
- Failed school
- Lost my mind contemplating and procrastinating for three years
- Here and hungry to get some traction
- Wants to do a male attire E-Store
- Pleasure to be here

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Welcome to the forum. Although you have been here for years.

Sounds like you already found your problem. Procrastination.

Get to work dude. Figure out how to stop procrastinating. Maybe make some fake deadlines for yourself. Or just do it.

OR

Keep procrastinating and never accomplishing anything and 3 years from now you will look back and think, "Damn I wasted 3 more years."

Nilloss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 9, 2016
Welcome to the forum. Although you have been here for years.

Sounds like you already found your problem. Procrastination.

Get to work dude. Figure out how to stop procrastinating. Maybe make some fake deadlines for yourself. Or just do it.

OR

Keep procrastinating and never accomplishing anything and 3 years from now you will look back and think, "Damn I wasted 3 more years."
It's my arch nemesis. The main issue being that I have no external pressures other than my internal roller coaster of desires and interests. This lead me to think I need to create external pressures, perhaps book a holiday somewhere in a few months. This will put energy into me to get back into gym and motivate me to develop a source of income that will compensate or supplement my holiday spending. I think external pressures is the key, as much as I am motivated to have some self control right now. Which is partially why I've posted here too. Thanks for the reply I've decided to do a progress log of my E-Store which I'm posting now in the progress section.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
You want to go on vacation to find some motivation? You want to spend money so you are broke and have to motivate yourself to make money? With this logic why don't you just literally throw your money at a homeless guy and save yourself some time.

In my opinion school is a hell of an external pressure. You said school didn't help so why would a vacation?

I think you need to create internal pressure on yourself not external. Internally motivate yourself to do shit.

Nilloss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 9, 2016
You want to spend money so you are broke and have to motivate yourself to make money? With this logic why don't you just literally throw your money at a homeless guy and save yourself some time
Yeah you're right that was the counter thought. That it would be senseless to spend my capital on something other than a financial investment. I take that back I guess lol. Instead I'll consider my interest to travel as motivation to get this sorted first.

Last edited:

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
Wants to do a male attire E-Store

What's on your white board right now or have you thought of any road map on how to achieve this?
If your answer is "I haven't researched it yet.", then I believe that's step no.1.
Go and start it today and mark it as an achievement, keep moving forward bro and welcome to the forum!

Nilloss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 9, 2016
What's on your white board right now or have you thought of any road map on how to achieve this?
If your answer is "I haven't researched it yet.", then I believe that's step no.1.
Go and start it today and mark it as an achievement, keep moving forward bro and welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the reply, am starting right now or at least when I finish my bacon and eggs.
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...get-some-traction-first-idea-in-action.71301/

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Whatever you do, figure this out. You can easily spend not just the next 3 but the next 40 years in 'procrastination mode,' always dreaming of 'what might have been.'

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Just make something. A tree fort, a chair, whatever. From there you gain confidence in your ability to start and finish something. By the way, quit being a little bitch. Good luck

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
- Wants to do a male attire E-Store

Don't do that. Don't do clothing, don't do low barrier to entry businesses, don't sell to kids your age, etc.

Find a boring industry that has a huge market. Do that. Make it easier on yourself.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Oh and I did read the summary for the fast lane book.

OK, you asked for it, snapping out of it speech coming in 3...2...1...

First of all WTF???? You've been coming here since you were 16 and you have only read the summary of the book? Shiiiiiii..... Dude, read the book, all of it, from the first page till the last, use post-its to make notes and then go back over it. Accept in advance, that this will take some time; and just do it.

Secondly, your mind is all over the place, I recognise the same things in you as I see in me. What helped me was meditation, sitting for minutes at a time, in contemplation of one's own breath, is the perfect way to discipline your mind to stay focused on one thing at a time.

Thirdly, read the thread by @LightHouse Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use... It will show you how to organise your thoughts and processes using Trello.com.

Next, and this is an important one, cut out all Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and whatever other social media you use, from now on only use them for business purposes. The reason being, they are killing your attention span, every time you scroll, and/or click on links that you pay attention to for less than 90 seconds, you are training your mind to flit from one subject to the next.

Instead, read (The Millionaire Fastlane ), retrain your mind to focus on one thing for extended periods.

As far as a business idea is concerned, who knows what will be good for you? However I do know that doing something is what you need to get you out of your procrastination. I would advise selling some stuff on ebay; it doesn't have to be new product, your old things, and stuff from friends and family. Clearly this is not fastlane, but what it will do is get you into the flow of listing products, advertising them and making money, doing your accounts, etc.

Concentrate on that for the period of time it takes you to read the book, as you go along, use Trello to organise your inventory and ideas for your future projects. Save the money you make and put it into an action fund.

Oh and did I mention? Read the goddamn book!!

Nilloss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 9, 2016
Just make something. A tree fort, a chair, whatever. From there you gain confidence in your ability to start and finish something. By the way, quit being a little bitch. Good luck
I haven't done completely nothing with my spare time. I've made a steel ute tray which required me to weld, use a lot of swear words, speculate measurements, screw timber decking on it and then fit it on the ute. Also painted my room, got new furniture to make it a very office-y environment and it feels that way. Great advice on your last part.

Nilloss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 9, 2016
OK, you asked for it, snapping out of it speech coming in 3...2...1...

First of all WTF???? You've been coming here since you were 16 and you have only read the summary of the book? Shiiiiiii..... Dude, read the book, all of it, from the first page till the last, use post-its to make notes and then go back over it. Accept in advance, that this will take some time; and just do it.

Secondly, your mind is all over the place, I recognise the same things in you as I see in me. What helped me was meditation, sitting for minutes at a time, in contemplation of one's own breath, is the perfect way to discipline your mind to stay focused on one thing at a time.

Thirdly, read the thread by @LightHouse Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use... It will show you how to organise your thoughts and processes using Trello.com.

Next, and this is an important one, cut out all Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and whatever other social media you use, from now on only use them for business purposes. The reason being, they are killing your attention span, every time you scroll, and/or click on links that you pay attention to for less than 90 seconds, you are training your mind to flit from one subject to the next.

Instead, read (The Millionaire Fastlane ), retrain your mind to focus on one thing for extended periods.

As far as a business idea is concerned, who knows what will be good for you? However I do know that doing something is what you need to get you out of your procrastination. I would advise selling some stuff on ebay; it doesn't have to be new product, your old things, and stuff from friends and family. Clearly this is not fastlane, but what it will do is get you into the flow of listing products, advertising them and making money, doing your accounts, etc.

Concentrate on that for the period of time it takes you to read the book, as you go along, use Trello to organise your inventory and ideas for your future projects. Save the money you make and put it into an action fund.

Oh and did I mention? Read the goddamn book!!
thanks for the enthusiastic response. I'm not sure what I read, it wasn't like a one page summary I think its the version you get thats missing parts, I did read around 200-300 pages though? I did get a lot from the book I did tell myself to take notes as I read it but didn't, I think I will make that a habit from every book I read from now on. You're definitely right about social media Lol, actually I ridded myself of that bad habit about a year ago, now I just check messages on it. I did visit that GSD system thread, am considering utilizing it.

Last edited:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Mostly confidence, but It's not terrible. Just not on that pro active authoritative negotiative level if you know what I mean, but it'll get there.
So...fear of success?

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
thanks for the enthusiastic response. I'm not sure what I read, it wasn't like a one page summary I think its the version you get thats missing parts, I did read around 200-300 pages though? I did get a lot from the book I did tell myself to take notes as I read it but didn't, I think I will make that a habit from every book I read from now on. You're definitely right about social media Lol, actually I ridded myself of that bad habit about a year ago, now I just check messages on it. I did visit that GSD system thread, am considering utilizing it.

I can see your problem now, you "consider" doing things, but never quite make it; go back to that GSD thread, open up another tab and type in www.trello.com, then spend the next 15 minutes or so, reading the thread and applying it to your Trello board. In the 3 days I've been using it, my productivity has gone through the roof.

Then for the next 30 days try the procrastination challenge; any time you think to yourself "I'll do it later", immediately reset your thinking and say to yourself; "no, F*ck it, I'll do it now". After 23-27 days, that response will be automatic, and you'll feel less and less like procrastinating, in fact, it will become painful to you.

I know this works, because I did it myself about a year or so ago; sometimes this method will make you late for stuff, however the payoff is well worth it.

Oh, and get a copy of the book, and while you're at it order some post-its, put it by your bed; and away you go... :-D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...