The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Somebody says MJ Demarco is a fraud / scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
Lol wtf is this?

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
WTF is the point of this post?

Obviously no one here is going to agree with you, first off your username screams TROLL, and your opinion is asinine.

I will say though, yes everything you posted is true. There is absolutely no reason you should ever come back to this message board because it will provide you no value.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
MJ DeMarco somebody told me a very intresting story i am baffled i want your opinion about this is this true?

Kommentator56 - Youtube told me

Well. MJ DeMarco actually was lucky and all motvational speakers warn for other motivational speakers. Why was MJ DeMarco succesful? I say he was lucky because:

He was born at the right time.
He was interested in cars.
He wanted to eat an ice cream at the right time
He bought an ice cream at the right time
He met the right person at the right time (the guy with the Lamborghini)
He later on chose the right job and that not because he knew that job would help him put because out of a necessity, which is where he got the idea for Limos.com.
He made the website at the right time when the internet was a new and undiscovered market and investors bumped a lot of cash in it.
He than sold it in 2000 shortly before the dotcom bubble burst.And that also allowed him to buy it back from the investors who lost alot of money on the deal. After the market recovered he sold it again shortly before the financial crisis happened.

And those are only a couple of events in which he got lucky. If one of these events, and many others, which were almost impossible to predict, wouldn´t have happened he would propably have gone bust or he would still be sitting there reading autobiographies. For example he sold the company exactly at the right time because after the dotcom bubble burst the company went bust (he lost 700000$ because his stock options that he demanded from limo.com because he only took 500k$ cash and 700k$ in stock options, became worthless so it is obvious that he didn´t know that the dotcom bubble would burst). If he would have waited another month he propably would be homeless right now. In total he made a maximum of 5 Million $ which is not all that much considering that he lives for a few decades without any income, which is why he wrote that book. The more I look into it not only do I see how lucky he was but also that he is a fraud.

OK. Now that you have revealed yourself for who you are, I thought you might enjoy reading the attached article. Calling someone a fraud on the internet is not without consequence.

USATODAY.com - Jury awards $11.3M over defamatory Internet posts

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
The Fraudsternaire Fastlane by Kommentator56

1. Want to eat an ice cream at the right time
2. Buy an ice cream at the right time
3. Eat an ice cream at the right time
4. ?????
5. Profit

Hard to believe what kind of B.S. people release into the wide ocean of the internet, sad to see that a fellow member is baffled by this.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm sure MJ has hundreds if not thousands of haters.

As I always like to say: If you don't have any haters then you are not doing a good job at being successful.

Seriously, whats the point of this post?

How about focusing more on your OWN thoughts and opinions instead of giving weight to the opinion of those who have zero credibility and frankly no life.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Hey, y'all - he's not saying this. He's asking if there's anything to it.

@16yo - you really need to filter what you read or see on Youtube. The drivel you've quoted is so chock full of logical fallacies it should win a medal for idiocy. He's lucky he ate an icecream when he did, therefore he's a fraud. This doesn't seem like a bit of a stretch in logic to you?

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
BS.

Some get a bit more lucky then others, but it still needs to proper preperation and dedication to get yourself into a position of luck. I am not sure what book it was, but it describes pure luck: Winning the lottery. And serendipity: Getting into the position of being lucky by momentum.

I think MJ worked hard to become an entrepreneur. After that, he made a forum that has become very succesful with a strong crowd of people not being afraid to show and receive some tough love once a while. He also made a book that has changed the lives of people. But, sure, he got lucky.. be a hater.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
All successful individuals are followed by a gaggle of envious haters. Its a fact of life and and a sign that the individual has finally 'arrived'.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
[video=youtube;45mMioJ5szc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMioJ5szc[/video]

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
For instance:
If one of these events, and many others, which were almost impossible to predict, wouldn´t have happened he would propably have gone bust or he would still be sitting there reading autobiographies.
This is called the "Unknowable Claim fallacy". There is absolutely no way to substantiate MJ would go bust or sit around reading autobiographies if all those things hadn't played out the way they did. You can't know what would have happened.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
All successful individuals are followed by a gaggle of envious haters. Its a fact of life and and a sign that the individual has finally 'arrived'.

^^^^THIS

Anyway, for those that believe success has more to do with luck than anything else I'd recommend Brian Tracy's The Luck Factor.

Description of The Luck Factor:
To some people, success is based on luck, a random whim of fate, a chance roll of the dice. But nothing could be further from the truth. Success, to a great extent, can be influenced by luck, but this is not to say that luck is an accident. Luck is predictable. With hard work, it can be controlled. By concentrating on several 'luck factors' - key areas of your life that influence your future success-you can take the reigns of chance and feel yourself racing forward at a greater rate than you have ever imagined. You will get more done, earn more rewards, recognition, and esteem, have more doors opened for you, and experience more of the things that everybody refers to as 'luck.'

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
^^^^THIS

Anyway, for those that believe success has more to do with luck than anything else I'd recommend Brian Tracy's The Luck Factor.

Description of The Luck Factor:
To some people, success is based on luck, a random whim of fate, a chance roll of the dice. But nothing could be further from the truth. Success, to a great extent, can be influenced by luck, but this is not to say that luck is an accident. Luck is predictable. With hard work, it can be controlled. By concentrating on several 'luck factors' - key areas of your life that influence your future success-you can take the reigns of chance and feel yourself racing forward at a greater rate than you have ever imagined. You will get more done, earn more rewards, recognition, and esteem, have more doors opened for you, and experience more of the things that everybody refers to as 'luck.'

Can you name those luck factors? :)

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'd recommend Brian Tracy's The Luck Factor.

Out of circulation. Some audio copies available on eBay. If you get "lucky" maybe one might land on your doorstep. Or you could just take action and order one. Either way.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I don't like ascribing the word "Luck" to Entrepreneurship. I find it totally inappropriate and plain stupid.

Entrepreneurship is not about playing the lottery. Its about calculated probabilities, standardized deviations, expected values and expected outcomes.

Nothing in life is 100% guaranteed. Nothing is "for sure". There is no guarantee that I will have my good health tomorrow. If I spend 6 hours a day playing Call of Duty is it reasonable and possible for me to have an expected outcome of 100,000 units of a fastlane product sold? F*ck no. What about spending 6 hours a day working on prototypes and sales? hell yeah.

The same way if I choose to drive 160MPH on the freeway versus 65MPH. what are the expected outcomes and probabilities?

As for "being at the right place at the right time", you put yourself in those positions by your choices, ambitions, attitudes and habits. If I get a fancy CFO position in a 500 fortune company because I networked with this guy at a seminar, thats because of YOUR choices.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
You guys are millionaires but you can't tell this is a troll. :( No hope for the fastlane. :smilielol:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
You guys are millionaires but you can't tell this is a troll. No hope for the fastlane.

Troll or not, the things we share here are not just for the original poster, it will also benefit those that read this thread.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You guys are millionaires but you can't tell this is a troll. :( No hope for the fastlane. :smilielol:

[video=youtube;9w8BfH1Q_zM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8BfH1Q_zM[/video]

ALSL

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 26, 2012
For everyone that's offended by this post. I don't understand why you would be?

It's true that MJ DeMarco got lucky. Actually, it's true that EVERY successful entrepreneur got LUCKY. It is an IMMUTABLE FACT that LUCK is one of the main ingredients to success on the level of multi-millions/billions.

What people are forgetting, is that to be a successful entrepreneur, and to grow a successful business, takes someone who is able to USE the luck that occurred.

It's like poker. Some people say poker is gambling. In fact, a LOT of people think poker is gambling. And to some degree it's true. However, your success as a poker player is not how many hands you win. It's not how many matches you win. It's the fact that, in the long run, you come out ON TOP. You make enough money to SUFFER the downswings. You make enough money to FEED and CLOTHE yourself and to LIVE.

In order for a successful person to be successful, they need luck. But prior to that luck, they need to be prepared for it. They need to strive for it. They need to build the framework that will be able to USE the luck that comes to them.

If all you do is sit around all day and play games, WHERE is your luck going to come from? If you do NOTHING with your life, WHERE is that luck going to come from?

When 16yrold or anybody says "so and so just got lucky, they're a fraud" people should be treating that as a badge of honor. It means that DeMarco was PREPARED for the luck. It means he ACTED on the luck. It means he was able to draw the MAXIMUM POTENTIAL BENEFITS from that luck!

But, I stand firm that DeMarco HAD to have been lucky. I'd like to think (super simplified, there are obviously other factors) that it takes 4 ingredients to be successful as a business/businessman.

1. Right place
2. Right time
3. Right thing to sell
4. Right people to sell it to

all of these factors can be controlled, but they are still largely controlled by luck for a particular business to be successful. That is not to say that a PERSON cannot be successful. A PERSON creating a successful BUSINESS is like a poker player winning a tournament. It takes luck AND skill. But no one wins all their tournaments.

But no one wins any tournaments with 0 luck. No one wins any tournaments with luck alone either. But the MOST IMPORTANT of all: No one wins any tournaments without entering them. You can't get lucky if you don't play, but you can't win the game with just luck alone :D

That's just my 2 cents :p

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Dude's Not trolling. He has a point.

After finishing Malcom Gladwell's book: Outliers, I had a lot of thinking to do.

It's the #2 most reccomended book by millionaires for chapter 2. In chapter 2 he states the 10,000 hour rule; it takes 10,000 of practice to become a master at something.

But the premise of the book seemed to be against my direct beliefs. The book speaks of time/place of an individual as being of significant importance. It's no coincidence that Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Bill Joy were born within 6 months of each other. Bill gates owes a massive amount of his success to the fact that, at the age of 13, he was one of the only people in the world with unlimited free access to a computer at the ONE time when computing kickstarting.

The Beatles owe their massive success to an unfortunate gig they picked up in Hamburg which forced them to play 8 hours a day.

The thinking here is that without these events, these people would be near nobodies.

I hate hearing such speak because it goes against my fundamental beliefs, but there was a point. Everything stated was truth and factual. I can't just IGNORE these things because they make me feel bad or disagree with the way I choose to see the world. So I struggled with interpreting the data.

'Luck' has very little to do with it. I believe these people would be great in one way or another. Bill gates CHOSE at the age of 13 to work long days programming. The beatles CHOSE to accept the 8 hour gigs. It's not like MJ saw a nice car and then found a million up for grabs.

The random chance of the time, places, and events we're exposed to shape WHERE/HOW we'll be successful. Not IF we will.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
You guys know I was just kidding right? I still cannot stop laughing at the "He wanted to eat Icecream at the right time".

TadMoore

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 21, 2011
I rarely post. No time. Couldn’t resist.

The fact that there are clearly other millionaires, and successful people on this forum is enough “proof” for me. The principles that MJ outlines in the book are just putting into words the techniques that other successful people have been using for years. The specifics of MJ’s business is of little concern to me.

Thanks again MJ for the book and this forum.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
ALSL I think you're on target there. The issue of Luck is a senstive topic for both "winners" and "losers".

"Winners" seem to hate the idea of luck because it's human nature to want to believe that luck had nothing to do with success, it's all just a matter of personal character, discipline, and hard work. But "Losers" cling to the idea of luck because it's human nature to want an excuse for personal failures.

More accurately, maybe it's not that winners hate the idea of luck, it's just that winners hate the type of whiny losers who are always using someone else's luck as an excuse.

We can enumerate the following possibilities:

I) Unlucky losers - people who had no chance because of laziness, ignorance, lack of character or discipline
II) Lucky losers - people who have the same traits as the people in (I) but who won the scratch-off lottery game, or the genetic lottery by inheriting their wealth or their position in society
III) Unlucky winners - people who have what it takes to succeed except they missed a crucial connection or their timing was off (too early or too late, whether in the marketplace or in world history in general)
IV) Lucky winners - people who have what it takes to succeed, who also had an "ice cream" encounter, and who happened to be in the right time and place

It's a simple truth that there are plenty of examples within each set. Everyone falls into one or the other. Nothing is taken away from winners by acknowledging that luck is important.

In fact, to deny the role of luck, I think is kind of insulting to the unlucky winners in (III) --- but because they are winners by nature, they probably wouldn't care and would simply get back to work.

Fun question: would you rather be a "lucky loser" or an "unlucky winner"?

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
lol too sad that this guy complain about other people's success ... he's really just masturbating his brain by telling shit about other to feel good.

the vast majority of people are destined to be average, and that means they have to hate on success to keep their brain safe if they admit that anyone can achieve success then their pride will be hurt that they're average and aren't doing anything about it

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Make no mistake about it. Anyone who is alive, healthy and of sound mind is lucky!

There's always events that happen and people will ascribe it to luck, and it doesn't matter.

If you play chess or understand the game, then follow me.

In a game of chess. pawn moves from c6 to c7. Wins the game because of that move.
In a different game of chess, pawn moves from c6 to c7. Loses the game because of that move!

What's the difference? The loser instead of looking at the bigger picture claims. First player got lucky! I did exactly what he did and lost, and he won. It was just luck! If he had done that move in my game he would have lost!

Frankly, life is a constant mixture of variables, you just have to make them happen for you. What ifs, and if this hadn't happened means nothing. Speculation on other people's luck is stupid. Because you are pretty much affirming to yourself that the only way to achieve it is luck. If you however attribute it to hardwork, then you are stipulating that you can also work hard and have the very same. Many people don't want to work hard, so they hope for lucky and convince themselves that everyone else is lucky.

Let's take the US. There's 9 million households with net worth of a million dollars or more. Not counting their primary residence, out of about 125 million households? Those 9 million households sure got lucky! Fine, there's a lot of luck going on and around. Go get your own luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!