- Joined
- Jun 7, 2012
- Messages
- 74
Rep Bank
$415
$415
User Power: 77%
A couple of days ago I decided to challenge myself to memorise (yep, that's how we spell it here in New Zealand) pi to 500 decimal places. If you don't know what pi is, go ask Google.
Anyway, frivalous as this is, I thought I'd share a few insights about goal achievement that have occurred to me during this challenge in the hope that someone may find them useful.
1. I had no idea if I would be able to do this.
Don't let being unsure if you can do something stop you from having a go. Take the first step then keep moving forward. Be prepared to make adjustments along the way as you learn and just get started. Now.
2. I have never considered myself as having a good memory.
Don't let any preconceived ideas you have about your abilities get in the way. How you perceive yourself may not necessarily be accurate. You won't know if you can do something until you try and you may surprise yourself.
3. The thought of memorising 500 digits was a bit overwhelming
Breaking a big job into smaller pieces makes it far less daunting. Break your large goal down into logical and do-able chunks and get working on the first one. As they say, the best way to eat a whale is one bite at a time... (disclaimer - no whales or other endangered species were eaten by me during this challenge).
4. The first 50 digits were the hardest
Working on your goal will probably be hard to start with but as you gain experience and refine your techniques the process becomes easier.
5. After nailing the first 100 digits, I knew without a doubt I could do the 500 (or many more if I so choose)
Success begets success and builds confidence. Set milestones (remember the logical chunks?) and use their achievement as motivation when facing the next challenge. You have done, therefore you can do more...
6. I'm not there yet but am making good progress
Achieving goals takes time and consistent effort. There is no overnight success, you must persevere to make achieving your goal possible.
So there it is. Not any sort of recipe for success by any stretch, but just a few observations I had that I hope might help someone...
Anyway, frivalous as this is, I thought I'd share a few insights about goal achievement that have occurred to me during this challenge in the hope that someone may find them useful.
1. I had no idea if I would be able to do this.
Don't let being unsure if you can do something stop you from having a go. Take the first step then keep moving forward. Be prepared to make adjustments along the way as you learn and just get started. Now.
2. I have never considered myself as having a good memory.
Don't let any preconceived ideas you have about your abilities get in the way. How you perceive yourself may not necessarily be accurate. You won't know if you can do something until you try and you may surprise yourself.
3. The thought of memorising 500 digits was a bit overwhelming
Breaking a big job into smaller pieces makes it far less daunting. Break your large goal down into logical and do-able chunks and get working on the first one. As they say, the best way to eat a whale is one bite at a time... (disclaimer - no whales or other endangered species were eaten by me during this challenge).
4. The first 50 digits were the hardest
Working on your goal will probably be hard to start with but as you gain experience and refine your techniques the process becomes easier.
5. After nailing the first 100 digits, I knew without a doubt I could do the 500 (or many more if I so choose)
Success begets success and builds confidence. Set milestones (remember the logical chunks?) and use their achievement as motivation when facing the next challenge. You have done, therefore you can do more...
6. I'm not there yet but am making good progress
Achieving goals takes time and consistent effort. There is no overnight success, you must persevere to make achieving your goal possible.
So there it is. Not any sort of recipe for success by any stretch, but just a few observations I had that I hope might help someone...
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
