The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Software consulting SLA recommendations

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

iamonlyanegg

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 5, 2019
Hey there folks,

I just landed a new software consulting client that I plan on invoicing through my company. The service is for a remote, full-time software architect position. My goal is to use the income to cover my personal costs as well as reinvest them on my startup (which is also under my company). The client is well aware of my side venture so that doesn't pose a conflict of interest.

Question: can someone orient me in terms of what to include in a Service Level Agreement, aside from the basics (like confidentiality, hourly rates, etc)? What other things should I consider including? Any useful resources for sourcing SLA models?

I plan on retaining legal services soon for these kind of situations but I am pressed for time since I need to sign with them next week.

Anyone with experience in outsourcing tech projects that can share some useful pointers would be much appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Hey there folks,

I just landed a new software consulting client that I plan on invoicing through my company. The service is for a remote, full-time software architect position. My goal is to use the income to cover my personal costs as well as reinvest them on my startup (which is also under my company). The client is well aware of my side venture so that doesn't pose a conflict of interest.

Question: can someone orient me in terms of what to include in a Service Level Agreement, aside from the basics (like confidentiality, hourly rates, etc)? What other things should I consider including? Any useful resources for sourcing SLA models?

I plan on retaining legal services soon for these kind of situations but I am pressed for time since I need to sign with them next week.

Anyone with experience in outsourcing tech projects that can share some useful pointers would be much appreciated.
include as little as possible. You will perform software consulting services for x dollars per hour. Invoiced weekly. Don't offer any warranties, don't offer to indemnify them. etc. I'd also purchase business insurance - E&O, plus general liability. I use Hiscox. PM me if you want more as this is an old post. Note that I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

iamonlyanegg

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 5, 2019
include as little as possible. You will perform software consulting services for x dollars per hour. Invoiced weekly. Don't offer any warranties, don't offer to indemnify them. etc. I'd also purchase business insurance - E&O, plus general liability. I use Hiscox. PM me if you want more as this is an old post. Note that I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.
Thank you @Jon L this is useful. I ended up signing a Statement Of Work that's pretty lenient. I'll look into E&O/business insurance, that wasn't even on my radar so thanks for pointing that out.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thank you @Jon L this is useful. I ended up signing a Statement Of Work that's pretty lenient. I'll look into E&O/business insurance, that wasn't even on my radar so thanks for pointing that out.
The insurance is about $100/month, and worth it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.