The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Software consulting SLA recommendations

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

iamonlyanegg

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
May 5, 2019
Hey there folks,

I just landed a new software consulting client that I plan on invoicing through my company. The service is for a remote, full-time software architect position. My goal is to use the income to cover my personal costs as well as reinvest them on my startup (which is also under my company). The client is well aware of my side venture so that doesn't pose a conflict of interest.

Question: can someone orient me in terms of what to include in a Service Level Agreement, aside from the basics (like confidentiality, hourly rates, etc)? What other things should I consider including? Any useful resources for sourcing SLA models?

I plan on retaining legal services soon for these kind of situations but I am pressed for time since I need to sign with them next week.

Anyone with experience in outsourcing tech projects that can share some useful pointers would be much appreciated.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Hey there folks,

I just landed a new software consulting client that I plan on invoicing through my company. The service is for a remote, full-time software architect position. My goal is to use the income to cover my personal costs as well as reinvest them on my startup (which is also under my company). The client is well aware of my side venture so that doesn't pose a conflict of interest.

Question: can someone orient me in terms of what to include in a Service Level Agreement, aside from the basics (like confidentiality, hourly rates, etc)? What other things should I consider including? Any useful resources for sourcing SLA models?

I plan on retaining legal services soon for these kind of situations but I am pressed for time since I need to sign with them next week.

Anyone with experience in outsourcing tech projects that can share some useful pointers would be much appreciated.
include as little as possible. You will perform software consulting services for x dollars per hour. Invoiced weekly. Don't offer any warranties, don't offer to indemnify them. etc. I'd also purchase business insurance - E&O, plus general liability. I use Hiscox. PM me if you want more as this is an old post. Note that I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

iamonlyanegg

New Contributor
May 5, 2019
include as little as possible. You will perform software consulting services for x dollars per hour. Invoiced weekly. Don't offer any warranties, don't offer to indemnify them. etc. I'd also purchase business insurance - E&O, plus general liability. I use Hiscox. PM me if you want more as this is an old post. Note that I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.
Thank you @Jon L this is useful. I ended up signing a Statement Of Work that's pretty lenient. I'll look into E&O/business insurance, that wasn't even on my radar so thanks for pointing that out.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thank you @Jon L this is useful. I ended up signing a Statement Of Work that's pretty lenient. I'll look into E&O/business insurance, that wasn't even on my radar so thanks for pointing that out.
The insurance is about $100/month, and worth it.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
If there’s one thread I see repeated over and over again on the forum, it goes like this: “I...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any scholarship programs for those who can't afford the course? Broke but need this course :)...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
It's an affiliate link, so it's hard to give those up! The affiliate links are automatically...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
A week ago someone asked if one of my courses is still relevant (referring to the Upwork...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I have not offered one of these in a while, but it looks like I have time to take on an...

What are Fastlaners Currently Reading?

Forum Sponsor

Grow an online business:
- Start immediately!
- Master business skills!
- 100+ Fastlane students enrolled!
Review & Details >

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads