The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So you want to flip used items and make cash? Cool!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
@minivanman Dropping knowledge like always. Currently have no Rep++ to give you but I always enjoyed your feedback.
May I add that I have much more success in negotiations when being super polite and kind. I always thank a person for their time regardless if the deal goes down or not. Anyhow, as we speak I just made a deal on FB Market place. See yal ina few....

Oh yeah, I'm always nice to them no matter if I buy their stuff or not.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
If you can develop a repair technician and brand it properly you can make a lot more. If you can get to the capacity to take appliances by the truckload from local "New in Box" mom and pop retailers they will sell you truckloads of appliances for $15-20 apiece if you are a regular buyer (trust me I have 3 regular accounts we acquire about 20 pieces from per week each). This will allow you to sell appliances at 10x margins even if only half of them work. I've been doing this exact thing for almost 4 years and we do roughly $100k per month now.

If you are willing to settle for triple your money back you can sell scratch and dent with manufacturers warranty and if you are content for doubling you can sell new in box bought at promo pricing or closeout deals.

Yeah but then I wouldn't have the fun that I'm having now. I've had a few guys around my area that try to get me to buy a truck load but right now, I like flipping how I do it. There is a friend that flips like I do but he is young and needs money, I've been trying to talk him in to buying a truck load and try it out but he is scared. I've thought about going in on the 1st truck with him just to get him started but it really doesn't excite me. I have racing trips planned through June and I've thought about going in on a truck with him after June. I will see how he is doing by that time. He actually quit his job as an appliance tech to flip them.

Thanks for the info though mikeyjd.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
If he was an appliance tech by trade he should be able to advertise repair services and make a similar amount of money repairing people's appliances in home. We are mostly a retail business but we do about $20k per month in repair work with 1 field tech and 1 scheduler. That part of the business is 95% hands-off for me and generates $5-10k per month in profit and is one of our best methods for marketing and referrals.

I know and I keep telling him but he doesn't want to listen. I'm going to show him this post and maybe since you wrote it and it's not me telling him, he will listen. It took his dad and me 2 years to talk him in to quitting his $18 an hour job. I might just buy the 1st load myself and tell him if we make profit we will split it and if not, he owes me nothing..... yes, I know we will make profit but that will just be the way I can get him to do it.

mikeyjd

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 10, 2015
Michigan
I know and I keep telling him but he doesn't want to listen. I'm going to show him this post and maybe since you wrote it and it's not me telling him, he will listen. It took his dad and me 2 years to talk him in to quitting his $18 an hour job. I might just buy the 1st load myself and tell him if we make profit we will split it and if not, he owes me nothing..... yes, I know we will make profit but that will just be the way I can get him to do it.
I can understand the hesitation of making the big investment. I think it's not likely he'd make less than $100/ hour flipping scratch and dent loads.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
What happens when a book you listed isn't at the thrift store when you need it?

Where did you list them?

Say it's already been sold.

My country's version of ebay/craigslist

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Not posting to brag as I'm really not even close to happy with these numbers, but I've basically been "flipping" for the past few months to make income on mostly Amazon and Ebay. I am posting more as motivation to others to get off your a$$ and go flip something if you need some cash as it is easier than you think for some things and a hell of a lot harder for others but you won't know till you try. I need to get on the $100k a month scale like the big dogs above ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200130-221342_Amazon Seller.jpg
    Screenshot_20200130-221342_Amazon Seller.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20200130-221400_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200130-221400_eBay.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 24

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I agree, great information Omega. I didn't know it was a thing either.

scott wisniewsk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Aug 23, 2007
wisconsin
Great post thanks all for the tips . My son and I were doing remodeling at a customers home . She asked me if I know anyone that needs a washer and dryer , they work fine and she had new ones coming . I told her I would find someone . Posted it on Craigslist at 9:30 for $200 and only touched it once to load it into a buyers pickup at 4:00 the same day .

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
@JohnnyAppleseed

This is f*cking brilliant.

Any noobs here looking for a business model, @JohnnyAppleseed just handed it to you on a silver platter.

1) Develop script to repost Craigslist ads on Facebook marketplace at a higher price
2) Determine the most efficient processes for getting the items from Seller A into buyer B.
3) Hire someone to run the process.
4) Iterate to other cities.

This opportunity will last as long as Facebook is mainstream, and Craigslist still has traffic.

Cash flow is king.

Not much traffic on craigslist here, trying with other local versions.

Better to do in a big city of course.
I suspect that's why I'm struggling with flipping.

is there a way for me to do the buying and the fliping of the product without meeting the seller or the buyer since i live in a different country ? @B_Mac
@amp0193

I've been trying with using the local country equivleant of craigslist a search to what is [country name] equivleant of craigslist usually helps. I'm interested in finding out if it can be done purely online, as I'm in a small area with limited transport.

I'd imagine if someone was in say Nice or Tallin or Riga. It would be easier to adapt this, than if they are in my situation.

Logan Powell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 9, 2018
Banff, Alberta, Canada
So people have been commenting regarding having multiple Facebook profiles.

How do you guys go about this?

The reason why I ask, is I am flipping in a small town (13k people) and I am always afraid that people will see that I am reselling their previous product for more.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Here are some things I've learned from doing this:

Buy from one platform and sell to another
So obviously, you're not going to make much money when buying from eBay just to sell back to eBay. Find where the enthusiasts are and sell to them directly, usually at a mark up, since they know the product and are actively looking for it.

Buy low, sell high
Buy slightly broken things that need a simple fix. These items will sell for less, thus increasing your profit margin.

The rest of the stuff has already been covered, taking good pics, not being a dick when dealing with people (even though people are sometimes dicks) etc.

Have fun!

How about order from AliExpress and resell them on Ebay, CL, ect..

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
About to buy a pallet stacker from a big used forklift refurbish/flip operation in my city. I bet these guys are killing it.

miraman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 2, 2018
How about order from AliExpress and resell them on Ebay, CL, ect..
What I have noticed about this is that, the sellers from aliExpress are also selling on Ebay with the same low prices, so not sure how to make a profit like this.

bilkar1985

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Sep 4, 2018
Greece
I don't flip very often. But my favorite strategy is to take someone's ad from craigslist and post it onto facebook marketplace with a higher price. If I get reasonable offers then I will try and negotiate with the original seller so that I can get his item for a lowball price in order to resell it.

A quick $50 is much more enjoyable than having to work 5 hours as a stock boy. Now I have a ton of free time to build my business.

Is it ok to post it on fb marketplace even if the real seller from craigslist has posted it in fb marketplace too?

I know it may sound silly, but one may not want to sell it to you if you find quicker a buyer for his product.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Is it ok to post it on fb marketplace even if the real seller from craigslist has posted it in fb marketplace too?

I know it may sound silly, but one may not want to sell it to you if you find quicker a buyer for his product.

Do you mean.... you see it on Market Place so you try to sell it without buying it first? Then you sell it and if the original seller sees that you are selling his/her product they won't sell it to you?

bilkar1985

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Sep 4, 2018
Greece
Do you mean.... you see it on Market Place so you try to sell it without buying it first? Then you sell it and if the original seller sees that you are selling his/her product they won't sell it to you?

Yes, it was listed on CL, I went to post it on FB and it was posted there too. Will it be a problem if I post it too on FB and the other guy sees it?

I know it kind of sounds like a dumm question and thinks like that don't matter as long as you make $$.
You might have posted it in the same marketplace, but different or find a quickier way to sell it, the guy will take the money anyway for the sale of his item and you will get a difference.

bilkar1985

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Sep 4, 2018
Greece
If this is your type of thing, go to a few antique stores to find some things, and put them on the internet. You gotta check back atleast every other day to make sure the items have not sold at the antique stores. IF you choose to sell like this, I'd do it this way and not from 1 ad on Market Place to another. Then if you sell the item, go to the antique store and try to get some type of discount so you end up making even more money. But it kinda seems like a hassle I wouldn't like personally. And by all means.... don't make $10-$15 profit. Choose items that's going to make you $100-$300 profit.

and will the antique store let you make pictures of the items just like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Also craigslist has hardly any traction and Facebook is not as popular as whatsapp, so I'm trying the same approach using other sites.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
It is fun, that's why I do it. A video came up on my Youtube so I watched it. A guy went out all night buying Monopoly games from WalMarts and posted them on ebay. He bought like 130 and by the next morning he had sold I think 70 of them and made $2500 in profit. That was the video anyway... being in this business, I believe him.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I just read that story on Market Watch. He is gaining a lot of attention! Over 1M+ views now.. making as much or not more on the video itself ;)

How one guy made $2,500 in a day flipping ‘Monopoly for Millennials’ games

Edit: Just noticed Amazon deleted the entire listing to this Monopoly Game
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K2SYDJ1/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

So that serves him even better. He should send Amazon a thank you note. :) And, he will get more subscribers that will watch more videos in the future so it nets him more money in the future videos as well.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
is it worth it? in my opinion, in large cities, in 2018, the craiglist hustle is pretty much gone. The time you will need to spend to make it worth your while- you may as well do the best u can at your current job.[/QUOTE]

Why not do both.

;)

mikeyjd

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 10, 2015
Michigan
Yeah but then I wouldn't have the fun that I'm having now. I've had a few guys around my area that try to get me to buy a truck load but right now, I like flipping how I do it. There is a friend that flips like I do but he is young and needs money, I've been trying to talk him in to buying a truck load and try it out but he is scared. I've thought about going in on the 1st truck with him just to get him started but it really doesn't excite me. I have racing trips planned through June and I've thought about going in on a truck with him after June. I will see how he is doing by that time. He actually quit his job as an appliance tech to flip them.

Thanks for the info though mikeyjd.

If he was an appliance tech by trade he should be able to advertise repair services and make a similar amount of money repairing people's appliances in home. We are mostly a retail business but we do about $20k per month in repair work with 1 field tech and 1 scheduler. That part of the business is 95% hands-off for me and generates $5-10k per month in profit and is one of our best methods for marketing and referrals.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
Just did another TV flip.

Bought for $30, flipped for $60 within an hour.

The original price was $75, bid $30, and he accepted right away. So don't be afraid to bid low. This dude was moving and just needed to get rid of the TV. Maybe 8 out of 10 would laugh at your offer, but the last 20% will just take it, because they're tired of waiting or need to get rid of the item ASAP.

Last edited:

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
Went to a local thrift store the other day and snapped som photos of their bookshelves.

Wen't home and made a listing with 1/5 of these books (didn't have time for more).

Just had my first sale.

No money out of my pocket required.

This is only $4-5 profit, but still. Did this with $0 out of my wallet. No risk.

Last edited:

Conscripted

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 16, 2019
Missouri
Went to a local thrift store the other day and snapped som photos of their bookshelves.

Wen't home and made a listing with 1/5 of these books (didn't have time for more).

Just had my first sale.

No money out of my pocket required.

This is only $4-5 profit, but still. Did this with $0 out of my wallet. No risk.
What happens when a book you listed isn't at the thrift store when you need it?

Where did you list them?

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
Bought a PS4 today for $132. Those are going for $175-$250, so hopefully that will sell quick. Aiming for around $190.

Also went by the local thriftstore today - they had 50% off everything. The only thing I found was 2 CD boxes (30 CD's and 40 CD's) - Mozart The Masterworks and Masters of the Millenium II. Don't have a clue about these, but with 50% off, I got both for $7 in total.

When I got home, I noticed that the Mozart cd box was missing CD 1, so not a complete box-set, unfortunately. So I place my hope with the Millennium box.

One Millennium box-set recently sold on Ebay auction for $26, and on Amazon the box-set ranges from $39.99 to $174.99 for the pre-owned versions.

It's a long shot, and I have no clue about classic music. But the gamble is worth the seven bucks I think.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
Not posting to brag as I'm really not even close to happy with these numbers, but I've basically been "flipping" for the past few months to make income on mostly Amazon and Ebay. I am posting more as motivation to others to get off your a$$ and go flip something if you need some cash as it is easier than you think for some things and a hell of a lot harder for others but you won't know till you try. I need to get on the $100k a month scale like the big dogs above ;)

For me, that is some serious numbers. Well done!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.