The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So who met RK?

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I totally agree, andviv. His book opened the minds of many people as to how life could be. He has done a great thing for everyone who has read RDPD, and it in turn made him lots of money.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Never met the guy.
Couldn't make it to the last RD meeting (schedule conflicts)
and the time before, missed the meet and greet.

He knows next to nothing about paper investing
and what he does really know,
business building,
he doesn't talk about much.
That disappoints me.

I have a rhino skin
(have to be when you're a female in corporate).
My policy is that if you've got something to teach me
to help me get where I want to go,
I can put up with verbal abuse
(though you might get emails from mystery addies about anger mgmt courses).

: )

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
It's hard to find people who are on top of the world financially that can still find it in their hearts to have respect for the common people. It's not uncommon, but it pisses me off when people treat others like crap. I guess that's just the way it is, but I'm sure people like that will get what's coming to them.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I've met him a couple of times

I've had the opportunity to meet RK at both the 2006 and the 2007 meet-ups in Phoenix. I was hoping you'd be there MJ, but you quit posting here right around the 2006 gathering. (I wanted a ride in that Lambo, damn it!)
:notworthy:

My gut feeling of RK is that he still thinks he's in the Marines. He likes to cuss and holler and be respected. He was friendly, but in a stand-offish sort of way. I definately didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from him.

I used to work for a guy like him. He would be screaming at his managers on the phone and smiling at me at the same time. I think RK's actions are planned. He likes to shock his audience into listening to him.

That said, he did basically give us the run of his place two years ago. Sort of said, "Here are the keys. Lock it up when you're done." And he invited us back whenever we want to come (Erin???).

Overall, in 2005 I would have rated him a "10". After the 2006 meeting, an "8". And after the 2007 meeting, a "6". He lost a lot of respect this past March.

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Wow.

I wasn't going to say anything about this because I thought this forum was going to be about positive energy and learning and growing, not turn into the "used to be fans of RK" board.

I have gotten to know Robert and Kim over the last year, and I have a completely different view of them then most of you. I have absolute respect for both of them. I have been able to watch them in their businesses, dealing with employees, partners, investors, struggles, and been allowed into their personal lives as well.

They are two of the most warm and loving people I have met.

Who are any of you to accuse RK of "having no tact" when you know that when you get frustrated with things or people on the boards and in life, you react the same way- and I have seen it from some of you. Imagine if you had that happening every day, and imagine how you would react after a while.

I am not sure I want to be apart of these boards, and there's no way in hell I'm organizing another get together, after seeing so much disrespect for the man who showed most of us how to get onto the fast track.

Who needs more negativity? Not me.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Erin,

I understand that you have a very special relationship w/Robert and Kim.

I think that's great.

We're the same people you knew and loved before the event.

And we would never want to put you in the middle, having to choose between any of us and RK.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
(WheelsRCool)
I don't really see how corporations are tax shelters.
C Corps are a great way to pay LESS taxes (if you know how) and handle expenses *pre* tax, not after tax.

In my opinion the comments you make about RK are WAY off. I'd suggest you do a bit more research:

1. RK advocates traditional education, and repeatedly says he *loves* all of the "S" people (like lawyers and accts) in his life. He says "I never was a smart guy. I hire these smart people to work for me."

2. You have no idea or personal knowledge of how RK treated his biological father financially, right? So why comment on this as if you do know?

3. Your criticisms of corporate advantages are spoken from the eyes of someone who has never used corporate structure. So why comment on something you know nothing about?

I debated a good deal in the forums on such topics, but I always did it respectfully (no name-calling or insults, etc...) which actually can have cool results, people who disagree with you will still respect you for being polite.

Given your comments on another thread (see quote above), I find your calling RK a liar surprising.

Sorry to be so blunt. But I have a very low tolerance for misinformed criticism and contradictory spew.:puke:

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yes Wheels, lets not turn this thread into a "RK is a liar, Rich Dad didn't exist" debate!!! :smxE:

We've done that gazillion times over on the other board and I really don't want to do it here

The John T Reed vs Kiyosaki thing is .... well ... its

:beatdeadhorse5: and most of us hate the topic.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
WheelsRCool-

Being able to recognize your mistakes and say, "I screwed up", is one of the hallmarks of a successful businessperson.

It took me *way* too long to see that.

Before I started taking responsibility for my screw-ups, I was more interested in blaming someone else. I wasted a lot of time and energy on that.

So good going, WheelsRCool.

My compliments on your ability to see that.

It will help you be successful.

-Russ H.

venom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 6, 2007
I am not suprised he has that feeling about the net. His staff has often mentioned he is computer illiterate.
Anyone ever wonder what would of happened if RK was smarter.
You would of all been told his richdad was a lawyer and we should get good grades and become lawyers too !

I think his appreciation comment is really weird considering he told people on the forum to invest in gold.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
And he said invest in oil when it was $40 a barrel.

Now it's what, $80?

Good advice, eh? :)

-Russ H.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I believe that spidey is here under the name of venom.

Sehcill

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 19, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I read really fast; I remember reading RK's first book standing in the aisle in Barnes & Noble several years back; I remember that book changed my life; prior to that book I had been seeking the answers on what I needed to do to get rich; that book was an excellent start. Having said that...

I don't remember where I read it, but I remember RK being called a "creature of Amway"...apparently MLM companies promoted his first books hardcore until they were well known? I never researched this and have no desire to...but I do know that RK loves MLM and this disheartens me...same reason I lost respect for Zig Ziglar.

-Jason

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
but I do know that RK loves MLM and this disheartens me...same reason I lost respect for Zig Ziglar.

-Jason
Motivational speakers are in a tough position. If they ignore or are critical of MLM, they are cutting off a potential massive source of business. If Herballife offers to bring Les Brown in to motivate their distributors for $250K, that's tough to turn down. Zig Ziglar, Jim Rohn, Tony Robbin, and most of the top speakers have all worked with network marketing organizations. Also, there have been mlm company owners listed on Forbes 500 richest list, so working with their company could open huge networking opportunities for these speakers.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Never met the man, but I am surprised at this description of his actions. I have worked with several high-end groups and the behavior you describe is not that of the number one man. The number one man is always calm, always in control and he always has a number 2 man to be the bulldog. Maybe RK is just the face for RD maybe he is the number 2 in real life? Maybe he started as number 1 and is now number 2 and it sticks in his throat.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
only time i ever met him was at a book signing in new york. he was very busy with a long line of people waiting for their books to be signed. I thanked him for his book and told him it changed my life and that was it. for all intents and purposes he was my hero.

I spent several hours at kims table chatting and watching all these people come up to her and ask really retarded questions. I was actually laughing several times as person after person came up to her handing her products and information on their opps. quite a few of them looking for address on properties theyve owned.

doing things like that day after day event after event can wear on even the most patient persons nerves.

think about it. everyone saying how great you are how much youve helped them only to have them turn on you when you wont give the answers they are seeking. they want him to tell them exactly what when and how to do things...

I have to say from the tone in this thread. Im glad i didnt spend my money to go to pheonix last year. I am not the crying type but if he would have said those things in my presence I would have told him to go get bent and left then bawled my eyes out...

So i am very happy to say that ive never had any real dealings with him personally and now id just rather keep it this way. I really appreciate his book and how its changed my life. I dont think my respect would survive a true rk encounter!

was it tough love to push people into a different line of thinking... we will never know. Id like to hope it was...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
It was an incredible event last year. This incident was a vary small part of the overall time. it amused me gave us all something to joke about.

The information presented last year was great. I was impressed. Some offensive words are not going to ruin my weekend. :cheers:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
for me it wouldnt have been just some offensive words. it would have been way more then that coming from rk. a man who i always respected and admired.

thatd be where my emotion came in. and it most likley would have ruined the entire event for me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.