The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So I'm Writing An eBook...

KopyKidd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
394%
Oct 19, 2012
Washington, DC
If you've read my post, #1 Rule of Salesmanship, then you've gotten a glimpse of a rough draft of the first chapter of KopyKidd's Guide to Salesmanship.

(the official title is still undecided. I'll name it once I'm sure it'll sell)

I'm planning on making it a short but powerful piece of education. An hour and a half's read at most (I want people selling, not reading), and you'll be able to put all of the strategies to work IMMEDIATELY after reading.

Read it after breakfast, and you'll be a better salesman by lunch.

In less than 2 hours, you'll learn:
  • The two 'almost magical' formulas for selling anything to anyone
  • How to easily take control of any selling situation in 30 seconds or less
  • Three mind control-like persuasion techniques that'll make buyers want your attention instead of you begging for theirs
  • 7 ways to get in your customer's "crocodile brains"

If you'd buy it, that's great. PM me and I'll send you a buy link when it's finished.

I want to hear all of the reasons why you wouldn't buy it, then I want to hear what would change your mind.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
what would change your mind.

Give out some mid-to-high value "free" tidbid from the book that makes me go "F*ck, this is what he's giving away for free? Well shit, I can't wait to see what I pay for..."

This is always a highly persuasive tactic IMHO. Give me something I can use today, without buying, and then ask for my money.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I wouldn't buy it because I have books from some sales and marketing greats. I don't believe a new book from somebody I've never heard of will teach me anything worthwhile.

Things that would make me buy:
a) a $5 Pricepoint
b) proof that you've had success selling something besides salesman books
c) a step-by-step case-study done with a random product proving the tactics worked.

KopyKidd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
394%
Oct 19, 2012
Washington, DC
Give out some mid-to-high value "free" tidbid from the book...
Thanks, that's what I had in mind. I'm thinking about giving the first chapter free. Do you think that would be enough? If not, what do you think would be more effective?

I wouldn't buy it because I have books from some sales and marketing greats. I don't believe a new book from somebody I've never heard of will teach me anything worthwhile.
I'm selling information... not myself, not my career, not my reputation.
If the education you get is good and makes an impact, it doesn't really matter where/who it comes from, right?
What if I did what I described above, gave you the first chapter free. What if the first chapter alone practically made you wet yourself. Would that change your mind?

buzz44

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 9, 2012
If the education you get is good and makes an impact, it doesn't really matter where/who it comes from, right?

How are we supposed to know the information is good unless you have something to back it up?

What to make a billion dollars in 10 years? I'll give you all the info you need... just ignore the fact I'm poor.

KopyKidd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
394%
Oct 19, 2012
Washington, DC
How are we supposed to know the information is good unless you have something to back it up?
What about the second half of my question though. What if you read the first chapter/first few chapters for free and it blew you away. Would it be enough for the information to speak for itself or would it still need to be backed up? If not, why not?

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
What about the second half of my question though. What if you read the first chapter/first few chapters for free and it blew you away. Would it be enough for the information to speak for itself or would it still need to be backed up? If not, why not?

or what if I read the first few chapters and hate it. You just lost a sale. For every person who thinks that your book is good, there will be people who hate it. Yea a lot of ebook authors use this tacit, but A LOT of them already have the social proof & validation behind it. If I read a free chapter from MJ's book and hate it, then I'll be saying to myself "well everyone else loves it! There must be something wrong with me, not the book. I'll buy anyway and see what this is about." If I read a free chapter from no-name author (no offense, you could be very successful, I just don't know who you are) Without any social proof/ validation then I won't think twice about buying if I don't like it. In fact, there is a 99.99% chance that I wouldn't even download the free chapters. Do you realize the energy that it would take for me to download the free chapters? I have to download, read, hurt my eyes on a computer, all to be left with a cliff hanger/road block - buy the book now.

It's not that hard to sell a small book for hundreds of dollars without showing a free preview. Trust me on that.

If you do give free chapters then I would suggest testing both ways. You might make money giving free chapters, but will you be making money while leaving money on the table? Will the free chapters create leakage? Does your conversation rate go up or down when you give free chapters? I think that is the answer to your question. Test both.
In less than 2 hours, you'll learn:
The two 'almost magical' formulas for selling anything to anyone
How to easily take control of any selling situation in 30 seconds or less
Three mind control-like persuasion techniques that'll make buyers want your attention instead of you begging for theirs
7 ways to get in your customer's "crocodile brains"

This looks pretty good - The only thing is that I hate when people use the word magical in their copy. I'm not like most consumers, so that's just a personal opinion. But I feel like it creates a sense of confusion. Do I want to read about Harry Potter and wizards, or do I want to read a book that will make me money? I'll opt for the money. It's like when Web/App founders talk about their 'algorithms' - I hate that shit. It confuses me and makes me feel stupid. Make it easy & direct.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I've purchased the first chapter of a book because the free preview was great.

I've also decided to spend my cash elsewhere despite a great 'trial' of a product. I got a free preview of Neville Medhora's Kopywriting Kourse and I didn't decide to purchase until after I watched him on Mixergy. Your copy (what little I've seen) reminds me of his, actually. In the end I decided to buy not because of his skills but because he looked fun.

What can you bring to the table that nobody else can? If you have no experience behind your advice you're basically just rehashing techniques you've read but haven't had the opportunity to test yet. Your bullet points didn't excite me, and I think that's because I don't trust you. If Dan Kennedy had given me those bullet points I'd be all over it... despite him saying something was 'almost magical'

Who are you targeting the book to? aspiring entrepreneurs? What's the NEED you're filling? There are already clever, funny, witty, serious, and straightforward books on salesmanship. Don't think of this as something a stranger on the forum's telling you.. imagine where this will be selling. If you don't have an established or popular platform positioning yourself as an expert.. you'll need to borrow that credibility from elsewhere.

You'd probably need to find a popular sales blogger to endorse you. And what would they say when they see the product? "Why do I want to send THIS to my audience? There are already funny/witty/serious/straightforward salesmanship books out there. Sorry Kidd."

I think to be successful with this you need to find a market easier to get into with a unique spin on things. Maybe a 'what selling taught me about finding a job?' or maybe it's 'how sales skills can get you into college'. I don't think a generic guide to salesmanship is going to do well.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
There are too many of these products out there. Go to Warrior Forum and you'll see that everyone and their cat has one.

What makes yours so different? You only said you made thousands of dollars. I want to buy from the guy who made millions.

KopyKidd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
394%
Oct 19, 2012
Washington, DC
GREAT stuff! I started this thread to get some real, harsh insight into the minds of prospective buyers before I put a lot of time/energy/money into an ebook that might not even sell. I got exactly what I was looking for.

I don't think a generic guide to salesmanship is going to do well.
Great idea. Repositioning the book looks a lot more promising.

And about the whole "magical" thing... *cringes* I know it was cheesy, but I was running on 3 hours of sleep yesterday. I pulled those bullet points out of my a$$ and called it a day lol *shrugs*

Thanks for the honesty & insight everyone. I'll keep the forum posted on my progress.

sigurdur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 26, 2012
Iceland
In theory, no. In reality, it depends on your copy.
Dry copy w/bullets doesn't interest me, ESPECIALLY if there's no success with it.

I'm reading Ca$hvertising right now and after reading the first 36% of it I've seen techniques that can help you sell your book.

Anyway, a good way to get success stories or testimonials is to give limited number of people from a related forum the book in exchange for testimonials (I hear video testimonials are really really good for conversion - no personal experience, sorry).
Don't go buying testimonials on fiverr or similar sources, it'll only hurt you. Focus on real testimonials.

What would make me want to buy the book?
Actual testimonials and evidence that what you're writing about works - for YOU. (a low price point in the beginning also helps while you're collecting testimonials).

I agree with DennisDuty on focusing in a subset/niche of copywriting, very well put.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.