The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So I Quit Caffeine This Week... Should You?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've moved the "quitting caffeine" discussion out of the Random Chat threads, there are several threads here related to it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I've moved the "quitting caffeine" discussion out of the Random Chat threads, there are several threads here related to it.

I like when my posts get moved to random threads - it's fun when you realize that a bunch of people are already talking about something that you're interested in.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here's the other main one, 4 pages long...

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
I stopped drinking caffeine to try to sleep better. It works as far as I can tell. I also dont get the brain fog I used to. Coffee was my only source so a switch to decaf was all that was needed.

rodvaN

Coder & Marketer
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 16, 2020
Nice... I dont think I can quit caffeine. But I just drink small portion at morning 7:30 AM and at 11 AM.
Stopped drinking more cause it generated sleep apnea or something.
Now I am getting my habits to align with a healthy lifestyle according what Ive read in multiple places:
- I track my sleeping time.
- Exercise to pump my heart daily and decrease the BPM.
- Taking Omega, C, D, and others.
- Meditation and making Art gives me more focus.
- Reading daily.
- I only take one portion of sugar per day. Candy bar, soda, cake, etc. Sometimes I just dont take sugar. Makes me dummie.

Im researching and testing what helps and what doesnt.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I have never even tasted tea or coffee. I wonder what my life/work ethic ect would be like with daily caffeine.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
This video triggered it, though I'd seen others like .
Thanks for sharing. I always thought of this when I was younger but I started drinking energy drinks anyway.

Trying to cut back down and probably will be no caffeine when I'm on vacation.

I never had any of these hardcore effects like he did but I do notice if I want to "grind" I crack open a energy drink with 300mg of caffeine in it. ( I usually drink it over the span of like 2-3 hours)

Rauschmi

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 7, 2021
Oceanside, CA
I recently quit caffeine as well. 3 weeks sober, I mean caffeine free. However, I quit caffeine as I am trying to find a migraine trigger. Caffeine could be a trigger, so I cut it out. Maybe in a month or two without a migraine while off caffeine I will drink some caffeine for a few days to see if it triggers a migraine.

I went cold turkey. from 3-4 large cups of coffee a day to nothing. Headaches for about a week and grumpy as hell for a few days (my wife can attest to this). And also lots of yawning and feeling tired/drained. But so far, no migraines. Time will tell.

I did also pick up a pack of decaf coffee. (Yes this may have trace amounts of caffeine, but from what I have read, it is basically nothing.) This was just to help ease off the morning drink addiction. It definitely seemed to help lessen the craving for coffee and the perceived caffeine affect. But I am currently not drinking anything but water.

I have also noticed that I am much sleepier at night. Less agitated and "awake". So caffeine-free is helping me with getting more sleep.

Keep strong in your decision. It may be hard, but it gets easier with time.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Caffeine wires me up too much, and withdrawals make me irritable and angry even if I only drink small amounts of it.

In the mornings I buy a decaf double double from McD's. A few weeks ago I randomly had a panic attack at work - I checked the label and turns out they had accidentally given me a caffeinated coffee that day. Maybe it was unrelated, but that would be a hell of a coincidence. I imagine it's similar reaction for a vegan to be given meat without realizing it at first.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I recently quit caffeine as well. 3 weeks sober, I mean caffeine free. However, I quit caffeine as I am trying to find a migraine trigger. Caffeine could be a trigger, so I cut it out. Maybe in a month or two without a migraine while off caffeine I will drink some caffeine for a few days to see if it triggers a migraine.

Interesting. Did you know OTC (over the counter) migraine medication actually has caffeine in it? Like Excedrin Migraine.

Rauschmi

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 7, 2021
Oceanside, CA
Interesting. Did you know OTC (over the counter) migraine medication actually has caffeine in it? Like Excedrin Migraine.
Yeah.
Headaches are caused by a swelling or tightening of blood vessels in the brain. The swollen blood vessels puts pressure on nerves in the brain, thus causing pain triggers to be sent to the pain center in the brain.
Caffeine helps with headaches by constricting blood vessels. This constriction reduces the pressure on nerves and thus helps alleviate the pain. Use caffeine in conjunction with Tylenol or ibuprofen and the absorption rate us increased which further speeds up the relief.
Just a little tidbit for folks.

ChetUBetcha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 27, 2021
Farewell, my love.

Farewell sugar free Rockstar that jump started my day.

Farewell diet mountain dew that made lunchtime better.

Farewell sugar free red bull. Even the grey goose is going to miss you.

And farewell to the toxic cocktail of all three of you that I convinced myself didn't affect me.

It's been 48 hours, my love. Everyone says I should be over you by now.

Granted, the Oxycodone helped ease the pain.

Everyone said you were no good for me. I probably continued to see you way too long.

I will surely miss you, my love. But it's over.
Not sure if any of you guys have checked out the book "Caffeine Blues" But it's an incredible book. Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug: Cherniske MS, Stephen: 9780446673914: Amazon.com: Books
(Not an affiliate link lmao)
You don't even need to read the whole book. The first 80 pages will knock your socks off.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Confession time.

I am back on the drug.

I successfully made it through the withdrawal.

So... I went maybe 2 weeks with no caffeine.

I didn't like life as well.

My mind was not as sharp, and I could not give my metabolism a sustained, artificial boost.

Life seemed more hazy. Less energetic.

I learned something valuable. zen******* said it earlier here or elsewhere... caffeine helps me focus.

So... I am back on the drug, and happy to be back.

It was a worthwhile experiment.

But I felt I owed you all the results after starting this thread.

You fellow addicts can all breathe a sigh of relief as I have resumed my love affair/addiction.

:)

:gives:
It’s 10 years later, and I am drinking sugar-free rockstar as I post this

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
It’s 10 years later, and I am drinking sugar-free rockstar as I post this
Dude, I can't believe you've just posted this.

I read this entire thread a few hours ago and I was about to say: "how is your caffeine consumption now, 10 years later?"

How was your productivity affected when you were on/off caffeine?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Dude, I can't believe you've just posted this.

I read this entire thread a few hours ago and I was about to say: "how is your caffeine consumption now, 10 years later?"

How was your productivity affected when you were on/off caffeine?
Caffeine is fuel for me. I don’t do drugs I drink very little alcohol. In fact, no alcohol since January.

I prefer a steady caffeine high.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 10

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Farewell, my love.

Farewell sugar free Rockstar that jump started my day.

Farewell diet mountain dew that made lunchtime better.

Farewell sugar free red bull. Even the grey goose is going to miss you.

And farewell to the toxic cocktail of all three of you that I convinced myself didn't affect me.

It's been 48 hours, my love. Everyone says I should be over you by now.

Granted, the Oxycodone helped ease the pain.

Everyone said you were no good for me. I probably continued to see you way too long.

I will surely miss you, my love. But it's over.
View: https://youtu.be/8zc0BI7T1LA

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Caffeine is fuel for me. I don’t do drugs I drink very little alcohol. In fact, no alcohol since January.

I am getting off caffeine to see if I improve my sleep. Some science nerds believe it might be a mild neurotoxin. Will see what happens.

Nice pic by the way, seems like your printer enjoys drinking soda as well.

My keyboard loves it too. I think I've fried 1-2 laptops thus far ;)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I'd be more worried about the cheap B12 (cyanocobalamin) the sucralose (artificial sweetener posing as a "healthy" alternative) and the artificial colors. Compared to that, the caffeine might as well be a piece of broccoli.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'd be more worried about the cheap B12 (cyanocobalamin) the sucralose (artificial sweetener posing as a "healthy" alternative) and the artificial colors. Compared to that, the caffeine might as well be a piece of broccoli.
Truth

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

I do strict diet and I can “tell” what’s bad for my body. Those energy drinks damage your gut.

The best alternative I’ve found has been the zero calorie, zero sugar Yerbaes or just plain black coffee. Or just supplements with water.

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI
I felt little benefit to being off caffeine for 2 weeks.

Felt more “naturally” tired and slept better I guess.

Didn’t get as much work done or wake up early as easily.

Black coffee (not those artificially sweetened headache bombs) are the way to go.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Exactly what I was thinking. People have been consuming black coffee and tea for a long, long time. Preworkout with 300mg of caffeine per serving, shitty fake chemical sweeteners, and artificial colors? About 10 years.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
After I stay off caffeine for a few months, I want to reintroduce it in the form of caffeine pills taken with l-theanine, and use it as a cognitive booster only when working on the most important task of the day.

If I don't measure and cap the dosage, things spiral out of control very quickly.

giphy.gif

TeeJay_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 4, 2023
I used to drink 10-12 espresso cups a day (using one of those Bialetti coffee maker on a kitchen stove). I would then put the black coffee in a thermos and drink it for the next 2-3 hours mixed with milk. And then, redo a new batch.

I realized it was more of a cope mechanism for my anxiety, as if I was pretending to become mentally sharper by drinking coffee non stop. It only made me more agitated, nervous and impulsive.

I still drink coffee once in a while (maybe 3-4 per week), but not as an hourly routine (yes "hourly" routine) like I used to. I switched to tea and chamomile for my daily routine (3-4 per day), it's milder.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Haven't had coffee in 9 1/2 months, the longest I've gone in 13 years and it feels great. Honestly don't even miss it. My vertigo completely stopped about 4-5 months ago, and I sleep better now.

ocricci

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 20, 2013
I'm 112 days without coffee

- lower blood pressure
- no more anxiety
- no more excessive stress

i miss the crazy "energy" but quitting is worth it =)

ocricci

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 20, 2013
After abstaining from caffeine for four and a half months, the lingering withdrawal depression persisted, which may not be solely attributed to coffee.

Yesterday I had one cup of coffee, and my mood improved significantly, as if I had come back to life. Now I'm contemplating returning to a decaf lifestyle, but I'm afraid of experiencing the depression and negative moods again.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I personally, after reading this and seeing all the addicted adults can only be grateful that I won't ever have this issue.
Why?

I have a genetic thing where I react paradoxically to caffeine: It makes me tired and groggy and has the opposite effect it should have.

I tested this on myself several times, even doing a placebo control test (with the help of my dear mother).
A caffeine tablet of 400mgs makes me more tiered than 2 pills of antihistamines or even actual sleeping pills.
It was so bad that I felt myself drowsing off while WALKING, after taking that caffeine tab.

So yeah, no caffeine addiction for me

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
I personally, after reading this and seeing all the addicted adults can only be grateful that I won't ever have this issue.
Why?

I have a genetic thing where I react paradoxically to caffeine: It makes me tired and groggy and has the opposite effect it should have.

I tested this on myself several times, even doing a placebo control test (with the help of my dear mother).
A caffeine tablet of 400mgs makes me more tiered than 2 pills of antihistamines or even actual sleeping pills.
It was so bad that I felt myself drowsing off while WALKING, after taking that caffeine tab.

So yeah, no caffeine addiction for me
Awesome! That’s a good problem to have. You’ll be happier without it

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.