The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So I Quit Caffeine This Week... Should You?

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Pro tip:

IF you do not take prescription medication (as the vast majority are metabolized via liver enzymes)....

You can drink a shot of grapefruit juice before your caffeine intake (or alongside) and it will temporarily inhibit the cytochrome p450 liver enzymes that metabolize caffeine. This will have the effect of prolonging your caffeine buzz.

Of course, like anything else in biology, your system eventually adapts and the effect will wear off. But it's good for a short term (several day) run.

Again, do NOT attempt if using prescription meds. This can cause toxicity and possibly seizure/coma/death. But if you're not taking Rx drugs, have at it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I didn't read the rest of this thread, so not sure if this was mentioned, but you might check out the Bulletproof diet and Bulletproof Coffee.

It changed my beliefs about coffee, and is highly supported by those of us in the life-extension community.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I didn't read the rest of this thread, so not sure if this was mentioned, but you might check out the Bulletproof diet and Bulletproof Coffee.

It changed my beliefs about coffee, and is highly supported by those of us in the life-extension community.

Does life extension mean you want to figure out how to live longer?

Because... I like this life and all, but I see limited value in being 98 vs. 95.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Does life extension mean you want to figure out how to live longer?

Because... I like this life and all, but I see limited value in being 98 vs. 95.

Yes to figuring out how to live longer, but no to living longer as a 98 year old man.

Think more along the lines of 98 year old man in a 20 year old body.

Ask Peter Thiel, he'll tell you ;)

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014

I'm completely against Dave Asprey.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I made an extensive "bro science" post on the inside on my book progress thread about sucralose, and quite possible Red 40. These artificial ingredients might also be worth abandoning.

You can drink a shot of grapefruit juice before your caffeine intake (or alongside) and it will temporarily inhibit the cytochrome p450 liver enzymes that metabolize caffeine. This will have the effect of prolonging your caffeine buzz.

Rep++

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I made an extensive "bro science" post on the inside on my book progress thread about sucralose, and quite possible Red 40. These artificial ingredients might also be worth abandoning.

Rep++
Cool. I'll check it out. And thanks for the rep.

Just to remind everyone who doesn't read the original post:

* make sure that you're NOT on prescription drugs, otherwise the grapefruit juice trick can be toxic, and
* The trick will wear off in a few days as your body increases the number of enzymes to counteract the blockade by grapefruit juice.

Carry on!

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
I've always hated coffee until I moved to the Bulletproof recipe. I even add a bit of cinnamon, vanilla and cayenne on top of the grass-fed butter and MCT oil. Sometimes I add pumpkin as well. The butter slows down the caffeine a lot more than I expected it would (the initial boost, being on, and coming down are all a much longer process). Most caffeine I get from Yerba Maté, which is also entirely different than what most people think of as caffeine. The last time I had a Monster Energy Drink, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. It scared me, BAD.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Sometimes when I'm sick of butter in my coffee I switch to coconut milk. Nearly the same effect, but completely different taste for a change. You can also put some whey protein in it, I recommend chocolate flavour. Tastes awesome (like a hot chocolate) and perfect protein+fat breakfast. The protein breaks fasting though, so if youre dieting based on an intermittent fasting plan you might want to leave it out.

Also drinking a lot of green tea lately. Delicious and healthy :embarrased:

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Helps to rest the adrenal glands or recover from 'adrenal fatigue' Good Nootropic but still a stimulant and drug...all things in Moderation I guess...I hardly drink coffee and am on a complete break from it due to me having 'adrenal fatigue'.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
D

Deleted17784

If anyone wants the caffeine high without the negatives of coffee (bad breath, stained teeth, sugar, cost, etc) check out the caffeine tablets from Pro Lab. Be sure to get the regular caffeine and NOT the "advanced caffeine." The advanced has some other ingredients that gave me an anxiety attack from hell. Guarana and all other shit in there. These pills are dirt cheap on Amazon.

I used to pop a half tab first thing in the morning and another before the gym. Good clean caffeine buzz with no jitters or crash. Much better feeling then just drinking coffee IMO. But now I've grown to love coffee so I'm done with those.

EDIT to say sorry this thread is about quitting haha.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I fully embrace and enjoy my addiction to caffeine. As far as vices go, it's pretty reasonable. Quitting is overrated. Having briefly and successfully made it through the withdrawl stage (as was the subject of this thread) I can tell you I was... after the withdrawl symptoms were completely gone... I was less mentally acute and overall energy levels were sustained lower, not higher. If energy were rated on a scale, my non-caffeinated life might have rated at a 6 on a scale of 1-10. My caffeinated life averages a seven with the occasional, artificial boost to 9. Overall I am happier, more focused, and generally better off on a sustained, caffeine-induced "high."

I'm no longer super interested in kicking the habit.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I had to seriously cut down my caffeine intake. I was drinking 6-7 16oz cups of super strong coffee a day. Caused serious health problems. Cut all caffeine out for several months. Went through the withdrawal symptoms and got myself clean but concentration levels and alertness sucked. I now have 1 to 2 cups a day maximum and don't drink after 11am.

My poison of choice:

http://www.coffeejudge.co.uk/taylors-hot-lava-java-coffee

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I've always hated coffee until I moved to the Bulletproof recipe. I even add a bit of cinnamon, vanilla and cayenne on top of the grass-fed butter and MCT oil.

Bulletproof coffee...haha this was the worst thing that I ever tried.

I tried this because I can't stand the taste of coffee. I tried it 2 times. The first time I made it completely wrong. The second time I made it perfect and I drank it for about 1 month.

I felt terrible during that 1 month of drinking bulletproof coffee. The MCT oil made everything in my kitchen greasy. My hands were always slippery. And I felt like I was literally turning into a stick of butter. I actually ended up quilting coffee entirely for a few weeks because I was so grossed about the idea of coffee after drinking that bullet proof stuff. I drank this stuff before a hockey game and well...that was a bad idea.

I do like the concept of using grass feed butter and MCT oil, but not in coffee.

So I'm back to drinking normal coffee again. I don't see what is wrong with 1 cup of coffee per day. I drink light roast because the caffeine content is apparently higher.

My dilemma is how can I make my coffee taste better without adding a ton of sugar and chemicals? I add a some french Vanilla cream to the coffee, but the product contains a bunch of chemicals that I can't even name so I am worried about that.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
I thought coffee was good for you in moderation, and that it was the sugar most people put in it that's the real killer.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
A friend of mine that is in the USMC introduced me to military energy gum (MEG). It's chewing gum with caffeine (and other stuff I think). Probably not very healthy, but I'm sure it works.

It's been a while since I drank coffee and it wasn't that hard to stop. I might just try to go without coffee for 2015 then drink it whenever I feel the need or get offered any.

I love coffee though and it's an industry I'm interested in. ;)

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
If anyone wants the caffeine high without the negatives of coffee (bad breath, stained teeth, sugar, cost, etc) check out the caffeine tablets from Pro Lab. Be sure to get the regular caffeine and NOT the "advanced caffeine." The advanced has some other ingredients that gave me an anxiety attack from hell. Guarana and all other shit in there. These pills are dirt cheap on Amazon.

I used to pop a half tab first thing in the morning and another before the gym. Good clean caffeine buzz with no jitters or crash. Much better feeling then just drinking coffee IMO. But now I've grown to love coffee so I'm done with those.

EDIT to say sorry this thread is about quitting haha.

LOL.

Being serious here ... we should be careful with caffeine. People can literally overdose on it and die.

The amount needed for that will most likely vary from person to person. And if coffee is your source of caffeine, then you probably won't be able to consume enough coffee to reach dangerous levels (probably going to have to shite before that happens, lol). BUT...

With caffeine powder, pills, gum, etc. it's easier to consume unhealthy amounts of caffeine. This is only one case, but I never forgot seeing this story.

18 Y/O High School Wrestler Dies from Consuming Lethal Amount of Caffeine Powder

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/19/logan-stiner-caffeine-pow_n_5601775.html

http://www.caffeineinformer.com/a-real-life-death-by-caffeine

P.S. I was looking at the Military Energy Gum and I might get some for when I start classes again. I'm going to limit myself to one piece per day maximum though. It's easier to chew a bunch of those to get large amounts of caffeine than it is to drink a lot of coffee. That's the danger.

EDIT / P.P.S. A cousin of mine told me that kids taking caffeine pills is a problem at his high scool. It's a private Catholic high school too.

Last edited:

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
My dilemma is how can I make my coffee taste better without adding a ton of sugar and chemicals? I add a some french Vanilla cream to the coffee, but the product contains a bunch of chemicals that I can't even name so I am worried about that.

Get good, freshly roasted beans. Drink it black and use a cinnamon stick to stir it. Delicious.

I love coffee and cannot imagine a world where I would ever willingly go without it.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I have been mixing daily coffee intake with every other day intake of a 400mg caffeine stacked pre workout. I am very addicted to it but when you cut weight coffee helps tremendously due to its appetite dampening affect. it also helps when you are rather low on funds and cannot eat till you get home from your shift. I do notice that I feel alot cleaner without it but that is a rarity. I am also really really productive. Burn out? Millennial s always bringing up burning out.... Never understood that... go till it is done...just another tab of caffeine and some pre workout. Let the rest kick in like testosterone and everything else. Be fastlane and cut throat and motivated and heartless.

haha...heartless... get it

prolly doing more harm than good to my body but I love the feeling and the taste. drop some cranberry extract into some pretty bold coffee to carry the caffeine effects. Really works.

ever since the millennial thread that word has worked its way into my everyday vocabulary.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I actually quit cigars this week... The funny thing is it had been like 6 days since I had one before I decided to. Now that I know I can't have one I want to rip everyone's head off. The real addiction for me isn't the cigar itself, it is the idea that I used to be able to unwind with one if I wanted to.

Caffeine has never really been a problem for me so this is how I relate.

Last edited:

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
I quit drinking coffee several months ago. Sometimes I drink black tea, but I'm going to quit that too and just go with herbal tea, which has no caffeine. Caffeine sucks the minerals out of your body, which is very bad. I try to get more minerals in my body by eating healthy organic foods and I don't want caffeine to suck it back out. Most people eat a diet that is poor in minerals, so caffeine makes it even worse. Bad for your health. I have a cup of organic vegetable juice in front of me right now.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I decided that I want to cut out caffeine after having abused it for a few years. I'm starting by reducing it, but I'll get to cold turkey eventually.

I'm somewhat less focused and driven, but I'm actually feeling tired at night again, which isn't something that I'm used to. It's also harder to get lost on dopamine traps (social media) when you're sleeping well.

This video triggered it, though I'd seen others like .

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_xA70lWrDs

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
I decided that I want to cut out caffeine after having abused it for a few years. I'm starting by reducing it, but I'll get to cold turkey eventually.

I'm somewhat less focused and driven, but I'm actually feeling tired at night again, which isn't something that I'm used to. It's also harder to get lost on dopamine traps (social media) when you're sleeping well.

Same here. I actually still have a pound of pure caffeine laying around which I threw in everything, water, tea, coffee, and on top of pre-workout for that extra kick. Some of the wildest experiences included 1000mg a day. You know as well as I do that at that point, you're not getting any "boost", but jitters and anxiety with a massive crash coming up soon, not even addressing the health concerns.

What helps me a ton (2 weeks of not drinking coffee) is replacing it with green tea. It's easy as the process is literary the same (boil, brew, enjoy hot), but my body finally gets something good to consume. However, I still use caffeine thrice a week during my training sessions, the benefits there are too good to pass, just gotta be careful with not double-scooping.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I stopped consuming any caffeine roughly in March. I don't think I see any big differences but I only drank tea in the morning. I may be still getting some trace caffeine in dark chocolate and stuff but that's probably a negligible amount.

Either way, just didn't want to rely on any stimulant in everyday life. I loved my tea for the taste but I suspect that there must have been some addiction going on as it gave me too much comfort and I really needed to drink it every day.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Some of the wildest experiences included 1000mg a day. You know as well as I do that at that point, you're not getting any "boost", but jitters and anxiety with a massive crash coming up soon, not even addressing the health concerns.

Been there, though I never had crashes. It just made me angry and paranoid.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria

25 years ago I cut of caffeine, too. About 5 years I didn’t consume any and after a while it was great. Could work better. Didn’t get tired so fast.
Sadly I came into consuming again from social aspects.

But I can recommend living without!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.