The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Smoking

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I've found that smoking once or twice a day calms me down. However, I know objectively that this is bad for me.

I decided to quit a few days ago, but I was feeling particularly stressed today and picked it up again. Definitely made me less stressed.

The problem is I know this is bad for me, and telling myself I'll quit someday seems like I'm just putting it off. I might as well stop now. At the same time, I'm not gonna lie, it's one of the most effective ways for me to reduce my stress and anxiety.

For the most part, I'm quit healthy. I eat quite well, I exercise regularly, I don't do drugs, I don't drink excessively, Smoking one or two cigarettes a day is pretty must the most unhealthy thing I do, but like I said, it DOES make me less stressed, less tense, and overall easier to be around...

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
I'm feeling you. I'm not a regular smoker but in stressful periods I've found it to calm me down as well. I tried to replace it with a bit healthier alternative, snus, but it just wasn't the same. Can't say anything helpful though, not smoking as of now but sometimes feel a damn need to.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I'm feeling you. I'm not a regular smoker but in stressful periods I've found it to calm me down as well. I tried to replace it with a bit healthier alternative, snus, but it just wasn't the same. Can't say anything helpful though, not smoking as of now but sometimes feel a damn need to.
Yeah that's the thing, it's literally the best stress reliever haha

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe

palneoon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
883%
Sep 24, 2019
Smoking makes you more relaxed because you are addicted to nicotine.

So if you clean yourself up from nicotine...

You'll feel the same way but by default.

The idea that cigarettes relax is one of those false beliefs that make it hard to quit.

Think about this:

You decided to quit.
You were feeling stressed today...
So you picked up a cigarette. Why?

Because in your head there is some "stress => smoking => relax" programming that got triggered.

You were not even aware of it when it happened. Your post simply assumes the logic in between, because to you... it's obvious. But it's not. You're programmed.

Are you really ok with that?

And there are never just two cigarettes a day. Eventually, you will increase them (or if you don't, then your body will be tense for lack of nicotine for most of the day -- the worst of both worlds).

You should try the Easyway method as mentioned by @gryfny.

I quit using it, and it was one of the best purchases of my life.

The way it works is exactly by dismantling this mental programming piece by piece.

And there is a lot of programming around cigarettes in your head, believe me.

Besides, it costs, what? As much as a pack? Two packs?
And you don't even have to smoke it in your lungs.

No excuse to avoid picking it up today.

Side note: You can learn more about persuasive copywriting from Easyway than from 99% of the shitty courses out there.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I've heard some good stuff about the easyway method. I'm currently reading his book on alcohol, and it's quite good as well.

You can read up on the method here: Top Ten Tips on How to Stop Smoking - Allen Carr's Easyway
I highly recommend it. I was a chain smoker from a family of chain smokers and that book made me quit. Still, you have to really want to though.

Quite short and you continue smoking while reading it. Have given the book to countless people now, but.. YOU HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT AND BE SERIOUS ABOUT IT. Excellent book.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

THANK YOU. This is all you need to read. Lol. It's a vicious cycle.

Of course over-eaters feel better when eating. Then they feel bad. They know overeating is bad. But they feel well while they are eating. And they give in to the craving. Same with alcoholics, etc.

Going cold turkey is very difficult, indeed you need to find other alternatives like the patches to wean yourself off. However coincidentally there's this ad on the radio for a site called everytrycounts.org and they say the average person takes 8 or 12 attempts at quitting before they succeed, and with every attempt they learn something that helps them get there.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
How long have you smoked for, @Ninjakid ?

I had my first cigarette at 26. I thought getting addicted would never happen to me either. Just the occasional one which felt great. In less than a year I was a 20-a-day smoker.

The thing that sucks most about that process is, it's that amazing feeling of the occasional cigarette that reels you in (and it really is awesome). But then you get hooked, and the cigarette doesn't even give you a buzz anymore. It just takes away the pain of not smoking and makes you a slave. It's the most deceptive bait on the planet. All those good calming feelings go away as soon as you become a regular smoker, and what you're left with is a compulsion.

You might be one of those rare people who doesn't get addicted to nicotine, but you're probably not.

So, is two cigarettes a day going to do you any real damage? No. But if two becomes twenty, you're screwed. And you won't even enjoy it anymore. Best not to play with fire.

I smoked for only two and a half years, and that was long enough to completely wreck my lung capacity and cardiovascular fitness, make me look and feel unhealthy and give me gum disease. Most of those are easily reversible by quitting but it's still moronic. You're not even getting anything back for all the serious health problems you accumulate.

I managed to switch for vaping which I've been doing for the last few years. Which I was even more of a slave to. It's not nearly as bad for you, but it still sucks to be dependent on this stupid, inconvenient device that - ultimately - is simply a problem (addiction) masquerading as its own solution (relief from that addiction).

I quit two weeks ago and I've never felt more exhausted, depressed or unfocused in as long as I can remember. I'm normally the happiest guy I know and I feel like all the life has been sucked out of me. I've literally had days where I could find no joy in anything in life whatsoever. And other days where I could barely get out of bed. If I had any idea how hard it was going to be I would have planned the quit rather than doing it on a whim. But I'm not going back now. Now I'm just passing time, waiting for the fog to lift.

WTF must nicotine do to your brain to produce these kind of effects when you stop using it? It's evil. Don't fall for the trap.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

So if you clean yourself up from nicotine...

You'll feel the same way but by default.

The idea that cigarettes relax is one of those false beliefs that make it hard to quit.

Think about this:

You decided to quit.
You were feeling stressed today...
So you picked up a cigarette. Why?

Because in your head there is some "stress => smoking => relax" programming that got triggered.

You were not even aware of it when it happened. Your post simply assumes the logic in between, because to you... it's obvious. But it's not. You're programmed.

Are you really ok with that?

And there are never just two cigarettes a day. Eventually, you will increase them (or if you don't, then your body will be tense for lack of nicotine for most of the day -- the worst of both worlds).

You should try the Easyway method as mentioned by @gryfny.

I quit using it, and it was one of the best purchases of my life.

The way it works is exactly by dismantling this mental programming piece by piece.

And there is a lot of programming around cigarettes in your head, believe me.

Besides, it costs, what? As much as a pack? Two packs?
And you don't even have to smoke it in your lungs.

No excuse to avoid picking it up today.

Side note: You can learn more about persuasive copywriting from Easyway than from 99% of the shitty courses out there.
Thank you for your reply.

One thing I should mention however is I have a series of psychiatric disorders that sometimes make simple things in life difficult, and this was the case even before smoking. However, I noticed smoking helps alleviate these problems, and that’s why I continued. Honestly, I quite like going outside in the evening and having a smoke. It’s therapeutic.

Like you mentioned though, I did consider that perhaps, the reason I felt on edge that particular day is because I’m addicted. I’m feeling better today, so i’ll give it another test run to see if that’s the case.

But yeah, i don’t like the idea of doing something that’s bad for me, especially since I’m kinda a health freak...

And oh, the easy way method is a course you buy? Shit, I’ll have to check that out again lol.

THANK YOU. This is all you need to read. Lol. It's a vicious cycle.

Of course over-eaters feel better when eating. Then they feel bad. They know overeating is bad. But they feel well while they are eating. And they give in to the craving. Same with alcoholics, etc.

Going cold turkey is very difficult, indeed you need to find other alternatives like the patches to wean yourself off. However coincidentally there's this ad on the radio for a site called everytrycounts.org and they say the average person takes 8 or 12 attempts at quitting before they succeed, and with every attempt they learn something that helps them get there.
Yeah, I have considered that the relaxing part is because I get a fix of nicotine. However, i’ve Also noticed a before and after from when I didn’t smoke, and it does genuinely make me feel better. That said, i’ll Try not having it and see how I feel.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

I had my first cigarette at 26. I thought getting addicted would never happen to me either. Just the occasional one which felt great. In less than a year I was a 20-a-day smoker.

The thing that sucks most about that process is, it's that amazing feeling of the occasional cigarette that reels you in (and it really is awesome). But then you get hooked, and the cigarette doesn't even give you a buzz anymore. It just takes away the pain of not smoking and makes you a slave. It's the most deceptive bait on the planet. All those good calming feelings go away as soon as you become a regular smoker, and what you're left with is a compulsion.

You might be one of those rare people who doesn't get addicted to nicotine, but you're probably not.

So, is two cigarettes a day going to do you any real damage? No. But if two becomes twenty, you're screwed. And you won't even enjoy it anymore. Best not to play with fire.

I smoked for only two and a half years, and that was long enough to completely wreck my lung capacity and cardiovascular fitness, make me look and feel unhealthy and give me gum disease. Most of those are easily reversible by quitting but it's still moronic. You're not even getting anything back for all the serious health problems you accumulate.

I managed to switch for vaping which I've been doing for the last few years. Which I was even more of a slave to. It's not nearly as bad for you, but it still sucks to be dependent on this stupid, inconvenient device that - ultimately - is simply a problem (addiction) masquerading as its own solution (relief from that addiction).

I quit two weeks ago and I've never felt more exhausted, depressed or unfocused in as long as I can remember. I'm normally the happiest guy I know and I feel like all the life has been sucked out of me. I've literally had days where I could find no joy in anything in life whatsoever. And other days where I could barely get out of bed. If I had any idea how hard it was going to be I would have planned the quit rather than doing it on a whim. But I'm not going back now. Now I'm just passing time, waiting for the fog to lift.

WTF must nicotine do to your brain to produce these kind of effects when you stop using it? It's evil. Don't fall for the trap.
I think I had my first when I was 16 or 17? So like ten years ago.

It was mostly on occasion though. I only started doing it regularly again a less than a month ago. Otherwise it was probably more than 7 years since I was doing to regularly.

I made a rule with myself that if I got to the point where I was smoking pack a week, then I seriously need to acknowledge an addiction. I’m not there yet so by my standards I’m still in the green zone.

Luckily, I noticed two is about the maximum I can handle. Any more than that I feel really sick.

I’m considering switching to vaping too actually. You’ll still hooked on something but it seems nicer.

Congrats on quitting! The thing about nicotine withdrawal is it sucks for a few weeks then it goes away. And luckily it’s not bad enough to completely turn your life upside down.

Yeah the thing about nicotine is it gives you a small high, but you’re functional and not unable to do anything else. That’s the nice thing about it I guess. But I think the habit of smoking is more addictive than the actual chemical in many cases.

QFP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Apr 26, 2017
UK
Vaping was my solution to giving up tobacco smoking, a 30 year addiction gone in a week, never imagined i would ever stop before that.
Now I just chug away on diy unflavoured liquid. [no big clouds]
I guess it looks and is kinda silly but I really enjoy the tactile nature of the practise , top quality kit that feels like a fine camera and baby dummy ritual. pure zen of the most idiotic kind :hilarious:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Vaping was my solution to giving up tobacco smoking, a 30 year addiction gone in a week, never imagined i would ever stop before that.
Now I just chug away on diy unflavoured liquid. [no big clouds]
I guess it looks and is kinda silly but I really enjoy the tactile nature of the practise , top quality kit that feels like a fine camera and baby dummy ritual. pure zen of the most idiotic kind :hilarious:
Dude I know what you mean, it’s so satisfying!

I remember when my uncle was visiting from UK, and when he went back he left his e-cig at my house. So I took it and used it until the oil ran out, and I remember how awesome it was blowing that steam everywhere. Now I wanna go get another one...

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I've been thinking of taking up pipe smoking with some nice aromatic tobacco. I use vapes (with "safe" juice) as my everyday habit, but the pipe would be more of an occasional pleasure. Kind of like sipping a glass of wine every week.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

That's all mental. Nicotine withdrawls are gone after a few weeks. The mental shit is the tough part!

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
I think I had my first when I was 16 or 17? So like ten years ago.

It was mostly on occasion though. I only started doing it regularly again a less than a month ago. Otherwise it was probably more than 7 years since I was doing to regularly.

I made a rule with myself that if I got to the point where I was smoking pack a week, then I seriously need to acknowledge an addiction. I’m not there yet so by my standards I’m still in the green zone.

Luckily, I noticed two is about the maximum I can handle. Any more than that I feel really sick.

I’m considering switching to vaping too actually. You’ll still hooked on something but it seems nicer.

Congrats on quitting! The thing about nicotine withdrawal is it sucks for a few weeks then it goes away. And luckily it’s not bad enough to completely turn your life upside down.

Yeah the thing about nicotine is it gives you a small high, but you’re functional and not unable to do anything else. That’s the nice thing about it I guess. But I think the habit of smoking is more addictive than the actual chemical in many cases.

Ah, so you've been through all this before then.

Maybe you can handle being an occasional smoker then. But, maybe the nicotine-craving part of your brain is playing tricks on you to get you hooked...

If you must take it up again, it's surely better to vape. Personally I don't want to ever touch the stuff again, in any form.

That's all mental. Nicotine withdrawls are gone after a few weeks. The mental shit is the tough part!

Crazy eh?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Give a Fuente hemingway a shot.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
My son smokes a lot of weed. (Legally, in Colorado, and partly for pain relief.) He liked to roll some tobacco into his joints because the weed "hit" sooner and gave him a better buzz. (Actually probably the tobacco was giving him a buzz...)

I would periodically remind him that tobacco is bad for you -- much worse than weed IMHO -- and he'd be a lot better off if he would just smoke the herb. He only smoked maybe 2 cigarettes' worth of tobacco in a day, but...

He finally decided to quit. He felt like hammered shit for about 2 weeks. (And that's from just 2 cigs a day!) Then he got better, and now he's real glad he quit it. He still feels the pull, but he's decided it's not worth it.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Ex-smoker here, stopped cold turkey and read Allen Carr one year after quiting.

What smoking really is: paying taxes in return for cancer, voluntary.

It's not even making you high or feeling better, on the contrary. Every cig you enlighten, you feel like a loser that cannot stop. Stop believing the nonsense you tell yourself. It's one of the easiest addictions to stop.

Sean P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 4, 2014
I smoked one a day for several years before becoming a chain smoker.

It took me 20 years of struggle to give it up one day. Although I very much wanted to, I could not quit. It used to lead me to tears when I realized that I was a slave to cigarettes. Getting out of an addiction is one of the most painful experiences in life, be it addiction to anything.

It is much easier to quit when you've just started. Completely demotivate yourself to stop smoking, in such a way that you will never pick it up again. Even now, it's easier than done as you saw yourself when you said "I decided to quit a few days ago, but I was feeling particularly stressed today and picked it up again. Definitely made me less stressed."

Wish you good luck, and a healthy addiction-free life. It is like heaven let me assure you, to be healthy and independent of any addiction.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
I smoked one a day for several years before becoming a chain smoker.

It took me 20 years of struggle to give it up one day. Although I very much wanted to, I could not quit. It used to lead me to tears when I realized that I was a slave to cigarettes. Getting out of an addiction is one of the most painful experiences in life, be it addiction to anything.

It is much easier to quit when you've just started. Completely demotivate yourself to stop smoking, in such a way that you will never pick it up again. Even now, it's easier than done as you saw yourself when you said "I decided to quit a few days ago, but I was feeling particularly stressed today and picked it up again. Definitely made me less stressed."

Wish you good luck, and a healthy addiction-free life. It is like heaven let me assure you, to be healthy and independent of any addiction.

Great work sir! And a sobering illustration of the potential consequences of "just one a day".

Here's another story for y'all: "I can't quit" or "I won't quit"? Joel's Stop Smoking Videos

"I have terminal lung cancer. I am going to die within two months. I am here to quit smoking. I want to make it clear that I am not kidding myself into thinking that if I quit I will save my life. It is too late for me. I am going to die and there is not a damn thing I can do about it. But I am going to quit smoking.

You may wonder why I am quitting if I am going to die anyway. Well, I have my reasons. When my children were small, they always pestered me about my smoking. I told them over and over to leave me alone, that I wanted to stop but couldn't. I said it so often they stopped begging. But now my children are in their twenties and thirties, and two of them smoke. When I found out about my cancer, I begged them to stop. They replied to me, with pained expressions on their faces, that they want to stop but they can't. I know where they learned that, and I am mad at myself for it."

Smoke for a lifetime, and there's a 50% chance this will be your fate.

diogoatmelo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 30, 2019
Portugal
I've found that smoking once or twice a day calms me down. However, I know objectively that this is bad for me.

I decided to quit a few days ago, but I was feeling particularly stressed today and picked it up again. Definitely made me less stressed.

The problem is I know this is bad for me, and telling myself I'll quit someday seems like I'm just putting it off. I might as well stop now. At the same time, I'm not gonna lie, it's one of the most effective ways for me to reduce my stress and anxiety.

For the most part, I'm quit healthy. I eat quite well, I exercise regularly, I don't do drugs, I don't drink excessively, Smoking one or two cigarettes a day is pretty must the most unhealthy thing I do, but like I said, it DOES make me less stressed, less tense, and overall easier to be around...

Forget that. I started that way and soon I was smoking ~20 a day.
I've now reduced the number to 10/11 a day when I don't go out (alcohol and social setting makes you smoke more if you're a smoker).

I know smokers that are unhappy that they smoke and want to quit, but do nothing about it. I'm not one of those. Honestly, I think I haven't completely quit because I don't really want to. Maybe it's because I'm 24 and I don't notice problems as of yet.

However, since my days are very structured and I know the approximate times when I smoke, I'm committing to not smoke one of those cigarettes each week. For example, when I leave work I used to smoke before getting on the subway and before getting on the train. I eliminated the cigarette before the subway. I've only been doing this for 3 weeks, which means that I've only eliminated 2 cigarettes.

It might not work for you, but I came up with this to hopefully make myself stop smoking even though I don't want or feel the need to.
I know that if I succeed I won't start again.

My advice is to not fool yourself. There's a 99.9% chance you won't keep smoking 2-a-day.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Hi everyone, I appreciate the replies and feedback. :smile: I've been busy last few days, so I'll get around to replying to everyone soon.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Quit now before it's too late!!

Seriously, if you are that casual a smoker quitting will be relatively easy, if you don't, you will simply become a heavier smoker over time.

The problem with smoking when stressed is that it links stress relief with smoking, you need to find something else to do that. Try doing something BEFORE you smoke that cigarette. So for instance you could make a cup of coffee, do a few sit ups or play with a fidget spinner.

So you may feel stressed, you pick up your spinner and close your eyes and think of something calming. Once you feel less stressed pick up a ciggy and smoke half of it. Do this over a week, smoking less of the cigarette each time, until you don't even bother lighting it. Hopefully you would then have succeeded in transferring your stress relief to something else.

PS: I like the idea of you chewing gum by the way. Simply because you can't smoke and chew at the same time, well you can, but it's disgusting!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
OKay so update: I went to my doctor yesterday and upped my anti-depressant dose. Maybe this will help take care of any stress that makes me feel I need to smoke.

I'm gonna TRY not having one today, and the do the same tomorrow if I succeed. Either way, I'm gonna convince myself not to buy another pack. The way I keep myself from eating too much junk food is just not buying it. I can do the same with smoking.

Fixed it for you ;)
Haha, I have to do this anyways because my dog has the same sleep schedule as me.

I've been thinking of taking up pipe smoking with some nice aromatic tobacco. I use vapes (with "safe" juice) as my everyday habit, but the pipe would be more of an occasional pleasure. Kind of like sipping a glass of wine every week.
Not to mention how fancy they make you look. I've heard pipes are very strong, I think the manliness overload would kill me

Ah, so you've been through all this before then.

Maybe you can handle being an occasional smoker then. But, maybe the nicotine-craving part of your brain is playing tricks on you to get you hooked...

If you must take it up again, it's surely better to vape. Personally I don't want to ever touch the stuff again, in any form.

Crazy eh?
When I stopped, I didn't really get any withdrawals, I just sort of had my last smoke and didn't pick it up again.

I'm not sure about that though. I tend to abuse things I like. Like sushi for example. And coffee. I have a caffeine tolerance now so I can fall asleep drinking coffee fml. I notice myself thinking in the evening "okay, now time to smoke" just out of habit now. Even right now I want to, but mostly because my mom's not home so I don't have to hide it lol.

Give a Fuente hemingway a shot.
Of course you smoke fancy cigars too, your picture should be in the dictionary next to capitalist.

I do like cigars, but a little strong for me to do often...

What smoking really is: paying taxes in return for cancer, voluntary.
I mean, when you put it that way...

Every cig you enlighten, you feel like a loser that cannot stop.

Actually, I feel really cool though :playful:

Quit now before it's too late!!

Seriously, if you are that casual a smoker quitting will be relatively easy, if you don't, you will simply become a heavier smoker over time.

The problem with smoking when stressed is that it links stress relief with smoking, you need to find something else to do that. Try doing something BEFORE you smoke that cigarette. So for instance you could make a cup of coffee, do a few sit ups or play with a fidget spinner.

So you may feel stressed, you pick up your spinner and close your eyes and think of something calming. Once you feel less stressed pick up a ciggy and smoke half of it. Do this over a week, smoking less of the cigarette each time, until you don't even bother lighting it. Hopefully you would then have succeeded in transferring your stress relief to something else.

PS: I like the idea of you chewing gum by the way. Simply because you can't smoke and chew at the same time, well you can, but it's disgusting!
I love coffee, maybe I'll do that instead! I've cut down my caffeine intake though, down to like 1-2 cups of coffee a day.

I got fidget spinners, I'm probably one of the only people who still thinks they're cool lol. But I mainly like them because they look like ninjas stars.

Smoking just half and gradually going less is a good idea, never thought of that!

I can't chew gum when I'm alone though... Because of Tourettes, I've dangerously choked several times before. Haven't in a while, but still.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
There is only one way to stop smoking. By changing your identity away from that of a smoker.

When my son was born I quit cold turkey because of how nicotine is linked to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. At that moment my identity changed to someone that does not smoke tobacco.

Regarding cutting down on caffeine, I've been enjoying decaf coffee a lot.

After all this time the only thing I miss about smoking is this: Watching smoke and having an excuse to go outside.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Of course you smoke fancy cigars too, your picture should be in the dictionary next to capitalist.
That sounds good!

I do like cigars, but a little strong for me to do often...
The weaker the cigar the weaker the leader. ;)

Try a Rocky Patel 99 or anything that says Connecticut on the label to have a milder smoke.

Last edited:

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Smoking is cool!
No, it WAS cool. At the beginning.
I smoked much 30 years ago.
I m still a smoker. Never stopped to be one in my mind.
About that 30 years ago I tried to stop smo. I didn t succeed .
Than I changed the way, not the goal.
I stayed a smoker. But started not to smoke for a while on Monday morning. when I desired, I smoked again. Till Monday morning, where I started not to smoke again.
After a while I stared smoking again on Saturday evening.
A while later I didnt for a week. And another and so on.

so, Im still a smoker in my mind, but I didn’t smoke since nearly 29 years. But I still love to stand outside with the smokers.

but to meat the question: many still smoking friends are buffeted with cancer or already died.

Yes! Smoking will definitely impair your life and that of your children and fellow men. Although it gives you satisfaction now.

decide for a happy life till end!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Okay, so I didn't quit today, I had a few more smokes. Maybe I don't have a strong enough reason not to atm.

That sounds good!

The weaker the cigar the weaker the leader. ;)

Try a Rocky Patel 99 or anything that says Connecticut on the label to have a milder smoke.
Might have to give that a try :devil:

Smoking is cool!
No, it WAS cool. At the beginning.
I smoked much 30 years ago.
I m still a smoker. Never stopped to be one in my mind.
About that 30 years ago I tried to stop smo. I didn t succeed .
Than I changed the way, not the goal.
I stayed a smoker. But started not to smoke for a while on Monday morning. when I desired, I smoked again. Till Monday morning, where I started not to smoke again.
After a while I stared smoking again on Saturday evening.
A while later I didnt for a week. And another and so on.

so, Im still a smoker in my mind, but I didn’t smoke since nearly 29 years. But I still love to stand outside with the smokers.

but to meat the question: many still smoking friends are buffeted with cancer or already died.

Yes! Smoking will definitely impair your life and that of your children and fellow men. Although it gives you satisfaction now.

decide for a happy life till end!
Look at it like this, as soon as you decide to stop, you are no longer a smoker. You are whatever and whoever you decide to be :smile2:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.