Just a little bit of context, we are given coursework (a Non-exam Assessment - NEA) here in the UK for our GCSEs, to make a product that fits into one of three contexts: providing a safe and comfortable home; a high-profile activity or occasion; working towards a sustainable future. We are required to create a shopping list of components necessary to manufacture our product, the school's Design and Technology department is given some money to fund the parts we need to make our product. I've decided to use this as an opportunity to create a prototype of a product that I will eventually sell in the future, building a brand/company out of.
I've thought of creating a smart desk lamp, not necessarily a need but a want. The idea came about when I had wanted to charge my phone on my desk, the charging wire kept getting caught when I tried to check something while studying and I muttered, "I wish this lamp's base had a wireless charger". Wireless charging seems a better option as you are only taking your phone off charge momentarily to check it, but the problem is, they seem to take a lot of space on your desk. So why not build a wireless charging pad within the base of the desk lamp, which doesn't take up space at all, except for the area the desk lamp already uses.
I believe I can make this a superior product by skewing the right value attributes in comparison to traditional desk lamps (offers for students, warranty, HQ photos, video tutorials etc.) I think the best way to market this product would be to create a brand out of it (e.g. Casper) through social media. After evaluating the idea on Grade My Business Idea (Thank You MJ for this useful tool), here, The Smart Desk Lamp, I have decided to pursue this idea. To find the needs and wants of my product, I went on to Amazon, found similar products to mine with the most reviews and read most reviews with 4 stars and below, to see which product functions people wanted.
I've written this post to ask, "If you were creating a new business, would you follow through with this idea?" and if so, what attributes would you want in a desk lamp? This is a vital part of the coursework, and it would be much appreciated if someone could offer some criticism, functions you would desire in a desk lamp, problems you have with your current desk lamp or functions you wished your current lamp acquired. Here are some examples of functions for reference: a weighted base, 360° rotating arm, ambidexterity etc.
I've thought of creating a smart desk lamp, not necessarily a need but a want. The idea came about when I had wanted to charge my phone on my desk, the charging wire kept getting caught when I tried to check something while studying and I muttered, "I wish this lamp's base had a wireless charger". Wireless charging seems a better option as you are only taking your phone off charge momentarily to check it, but the problem is, they seem to take a lot of space on your desk. So why not build a wireless charging pad within the base of the desk lamp, which doesn't take up space at all, except for the area the desk lamp already uses.
I believe I can make this a superior product by skewing the right value attributes in comparison to traditional desk lamps (offers for students, warranty, HQ photos, video tutorials etc.) I think the best way to market this product would be to create a brand out of it (e.g. Casper) through social media. After evaluating the idea on Grade My Business Idea (Thank You MJ for this useful tool), here, The Smart Desk Lamp, I have decided to pursue this idea. To find the needs and wants of my product, I went on to Amazon, found similar products to mine with the most reviews and read most reviews with 4 stars and below, to see which product functions people wanted.
I've written this post to ask, "If you were creating a new business, would you follow through with this idea?" and if so, what attributes would you want in a desk lamp? This is a vital part of the coursework, and it would be much appreciated if someone could offer some criticism, functions you would desire in a desk lamp, problems you have with your current desk lamp or functions you wished your current lamp acquired. Here are some examples of functions for reference: a weighted base, 360° rotating arm, ambidexterity etc.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
