The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Smart Desk Lamp: Criticism and Feedback Wanted

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
Just a little bit of context, we are given coursework (a Non-exam Assessment - NEA) here in the UK for our GCSEs, to make a product that fits into one of three contexts: providing a safe and comfortable home; a high-profile activity or occasion; working towards a sustainable future. We are required to create a shopping list of components necessary to manufacture our product, the school's Design and Technology department is given some money to fund the parts we need to make our product. I've decided to use this as an opportunity to create a prototype of a product that I will eventually sell in the future, building a brand/company out of.

I've thought of creating a smart desk lamp, not necessarily a need but a want. The idea came about when I had wanted to charge my phone on my desk, the charging wire kept getting caught when I tried to check something while studying and I muttered, "I wish this lamp's base had a wireless charger". Wireless charging seems a better option as you are only taking your phone off charge momentarily to check it, but the problem is, they seem to take a lot of space on your desk. So why not build a wireless charging pad within the base of the desk lamp, which doesn't take up space at all, except for the area the desk lamp already uses.

I believe I can make this a superior product by skewing the right value attributes in comparison to traditional desk lamps (offers for students, warranty, HQ photos, video tutorials etc.) I think the best way to market this product would be to create a brand out of it (e.g. Casper) through social media. After evaluating the idea on Grade My Business Idea (Thank You MJ for this useful tool), here, The Smart Desk Lamp, I have decided to pursue this idea. To find the needs and wants of my product, I went on to Amazon, found similar products to mine with the most reviews and read most reviews with 4 stars and below, to see which product functions people wanted.

I've written this post to ask, "If you were creating a new business, would you follow through with this idea?" and if so, what attributes would you want in a desk lamp? This is a vital part of the coursework, and it would be much appreciated if someone could offer some criticism, functions you would desire in a desk lamp, problems you have with your current desk lamp or functions you wished your current lamp acquired. Here are some examples of functions for reference: a weighted base, 360° rotating arm, ambidexterity etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
Make sure you do plenty of research as there is already at least one product on the market that matches all of your proposed features. I have one on my bedside cabinet. ;)

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
Make sure you do plenty of research as there is already at least one product on the market that matches all of your proposed features. I have one on my bedside cabinet. ;)
Yes, there are a products that are like the one that I'm going to make, but the thing is, they normally have a modern look which I don't like. I believe I can skew value by improving them based on the reviews people have posted, whilst adding different value attributes such as warranty and making a brand out of it. Do you mind sending me the model of the desk lamp you have?

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
There are no staple versions of this product yet as im aware of. Go for it.

Just be aware that a product like this is hype-driven and demand will die out after some period if you hit the big markets

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.