The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sidewalk copywriter ready to go unscripted

TheMatt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Sep 7, 2017
Rome, Italy
WHO I AM

Great to be here.

My name is Matt. I'm British. I live in Italy.

WHY I'M HERE

'The Millionaire Fastlane ' shifted my vision. It put into words (clear, lucid, actionable words) the vague notions I had of the alternative to the mediocrity of 'average' existence.

WHAT I DID

I've been self-employed all my life. I sold Italian shoes to clients halfway across the globe. I've worked as a journalist, a screenwriter (optioned, not produced) an event organizer.

The companies and institutions I've worked with are huge. You'd know them. Yet, I have little to show for it, financially. I've walked the Sidewalk. This needs to change.

WHAT I DO

Today, I make a living writing copy. Freelance. One major client, an international agency, has me booked 90% of the time. The rest is spent with smaller clients, planning a fastlane business, reading, writing, and being a father.

WHAT I WANT

The other day, my major client accidentally cc'd me in an email. In it, was a detailed breakdown of their fees. My copy is being re-sold at five times what I charge this agency. If I could tell you who they're selling my copy to, you wouldn't believe it. You'd think I must already be rich.

They are Fastlane. I'm pumping gas, at best.

I want a business (my own business) that can allow me and my family to live comfortably. Heck, live luxuriously. It needn't be copywriting. In fact, it likely won't.

Wherever I'm headed, this forum and @MJ DeMarco 's books are a great place to start.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
How about you create a course outlining how to score copywriting gigs, then use the proof and credibility from writing copy for the big name companies as a marketing point?
Could you ever renegotiate? I've heard of some copy writers that write for a % of sales of the stuff they create. Surely writing for such huge clients this could be worth a lot?
I bet they don't work like that, but obviously from what you're writing here you are super in demand and talented at what you do. Maybe going after the big, big fish independently could work?

TheMatt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Sep 7, 2017
Rome, Italy
Hey @Lukebrisbane, thank you for your suggestions.

I'm by no means a 'master copywriter'. The agency received praise for my copy from a marketing exec at one of their larger clients' companies, and following two successful ad campaigns, they started handing me more and more work. That's all. I'm OK. I'm not great.

About 'being in demand': no one knows about me. My copy isn't mine--it's the agency's. They have strict rules about freelancers sharing the names of their clients, too. I understand that. But if I could find a way around it, going after the big fish independently--as you suggest--might be an idea. As well as a course, perhaps.

Anyway, nice to meet you!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum.

The other day, my major client accidentally cc'd me in an email. In it, was a detailed breakdown of their fees. My copy is being re-sold at five times what I charge this agency.

Holy crap. So why can't you do the same?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...