The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shut Up and Listen! by Tilman Fertitta?

For any book discussion

JHZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 24, 2017
México
Hey everyone!

I just listened to a podcast by Tilman Fertitta (self made billionaire, owner of several restaurants and the Houston Rockets) and really enjoyed what he said.I was thinking in checking out his book, "Shut Up and Listen!", has anybody already read it? if so, would you recommend?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hey everyone!

I just listened to a podcast by Tilman Fertitta (self made billionaire, owner of several restaurants and the Houston Rockets) and really enjoyed what he said.I was thinking in checking out his book, "Shut Up and Listen!", has anybody already read it? if so, would you recommend?

It is on my get it list! I can recommend based on what I have seen of him.

I know several people that know him personally. I am sure I will meet him at some point. I have always liked what he had to say on his CNBC show.

He is kind of a contrarian to what I normally preach. He is one of the very very few billionaires that did it without raising money. He used bank loans to finance his empire.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Hey everyone!

Which podcast did you listen to?

JHZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 24, 2017
México

I know several people that know him personally. I am sure I will meet him at some point. I have always liked what he had to say on his CNBC show.

He is kind of a contrarian to what I normally preach. He is one of the very very few billionaires that did it without raising money. He used bank loans to finance his empire.

Nice! Will definitely be checking his book once I'm done with the one I'm reading right now, thanks for the reply!

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California

Great read. Tilman touches on many points but I was most drawn to the leadership/teaching section.
Looking forward to hearing your speech about leadership in February.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Heard him interviewed on Lewis Howes podcast and definitely have his book on my to-read list!

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
I am, literally, on page 46 having just started the section on property leases. Not an Earth shattering read but I'll say this: He's outlining issues I've had to deal with in my chauffeured transportation business that I wish someone would've pulled my coattail on, when I started the biz, years ago.

For example, issues like working capital.

I had to scramble like a madman to keep cash flow rolling when I started out. I needed reserves on hand to pay affiliates (independent chauffeur owner/operators) who covered trips for me when I couldn't drive certain clients, rent vehicles and hire chauffeurs to drive them, etc. You realize how important cash on hand, business credit cards and lines of credit are when you need to hire 20 SUV's for a movie premiere and the drivers want payment within a week.

He also touched on another issue I've put a lot of thought into: Borrowing money from friends. Hell, I'll even toss in family members, as well. I've done it, albeit, reluctantly. I've always re-paid my loans - with serious interest but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't awkward asking for the loan. Fertitta says nothing ruins a friendship faster that borrowing loot from a friend; he doesn't recommend it. With rare exception, I'm inclined to agree.

Overall, the book is a good read and I don't feel like I'm wasting my time or brain cells checking it out. Hope that helps. :smile2:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Some awesome takeaways that follow my own philosophies...

The 5% VS (the 95%), which is the opportunity for value skew...
The producer/consumer dichotomy...
Separating yourself from the rest of pack and taking personal responsibility...
Be the best at what you do, even if its floor-mopping...
Business is a sport!!

As much watch video.

Gonna buy the book, thanks for the recommendation.

JHZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 24, 2017
México
I'm currently halfway through the book, while it does contain some awesome advise and takeaways (mostly the 95-5 rule and the hospitality principle), I get the feeling that this book would better suit someone that already owns a business as oppose to a newbie that would like to make the transition to entrepreneur (as for myself). I would still definitely recommend anyone to take a look at it, Fertitta does not sugar coat it, and it is always nice to take advise from a self made billionaire as oppose to some random autor.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
I'm currently halfway through the book, while it does contain some awesome advise and takeaways (mostly the 95-5 rule and the hospitality principle), I get the feeling that this book would better suit someone that already owns a business as oppose to a newbie that would like to make the transition to entrepreneur (as for myself). I would still definitely recommend anyone to take a look at it, Fertitta does not sugar coat it, and it is always nice to take advise from a self made billionaire as oppose to some random autor.

There is plenty of advices that you can apply now in any current stage of your life. For example borrowing money even if you dont need it. This can translate to you to build strong credit and apply for credit line/ loans for future uses. The 95-5 rule can be applied to what you are and are not good at.
He talks about negotiating on leases. You can practice that anywhere. I tried it at the gym (It’s my main gym now) for a 1 week free pass and it worked. Theres a difference between being cheap and negotiating. It all depends on your purpose behind it. Also you can practice being PLAPPY and keeping your words.

For myself its more of a tool train my mentality and being able to recognize these things as I go.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.