The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should you fix your mindset before you start?

Anything related to matters of the mind

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
I'm working towards my freedom and success, but I feel like my inner self constantly gets in the way. I constantly feel like I'm not good enough. I often find myself thinking whatever I'm doing is pointless because I will never succeed. This drains my confidence, and ultimately, my motivation.

I know you should focus on action, but before action, should you first focus on your mindset? If so, what are some good books to read? I don't want to caught in the cycle of self-help book after self-help book without actually doing anything, but I think I need this to start. Did you start with your mindset?

Some books I've been thinking of reading are The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, Psycho-Cybernetics, and NLP books.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sandholdt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 3, 2018
What is it you seek to accomplish by reading those books?

In my opinion, work towards your goals, and set up sub-goals along the way. That way you'll be able to look at all the sub-goals you've accomplished so far, to prove to yourself you're moving in the right direction, and the effort you're putting in is actually bearing fruit.

Human tend to forget all the hardships they've overcome along the way. Make sure to document it for reference.

Get to work :devil:

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
"Think less, do more" - Some famous wise guy

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Ughhhh it totes sucks but action will automatically fix your mindset.

Do fat ppl need to read a book? No. Do they need to stop eating crap and start exercising? Yes. Once they do, they’ll feel better. Action changes you.

BUT. When someone in a book validates a feeling you’ve been having or clarifies an idea.. just them sharing passionate truth in a way that connects to who you are and how you see the world can get you excited enough to get up off the couch and go do something.

In other words, don’t get addicted to being emotionally validated.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I constantly feel like I'm not good enough.
I think this is your problem.

1) Create a positive feedback loop as soon as you can. Engage the market and get people thanking you or smiling their gratitude. It’s quite simple to do: go out of your way to unexpectedly help someone. You could hold the door open for someone, or bid a cheery hello to someone who’s not expecting it. You could send a wee thank you message to someone who follows you or wrote something you liked. You could send a hand written email to someone instead of an automated one. You could send a video message to someone and knock their socks off. Tiny gestures showing you thought or appreciated someone go a long way - and they often cost you only a tiny bit of your time.

2) Repeat this whenever you feel you’re not enough: “I *am* enough, because I say I am.”

Now go help someone this week, and thank someone today.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I don't think there is any "hack" to change your mindset. Beliefs have to be reinforced otherwise they remain weak. It's much more natural to reinforce a negative belief because those leave you inert, and inertia is the most comfortable state of being. And inertia itself reinforces those negative beliefs. You do nothing, you feel lazy, you believe you ARE lazy. Etc.

You need to first develop beliefs about yourself, business, the world, and your purpose that are empowering to you. Then, you need to reinforce them.

How do you reinforce them?

ACTION.

That's not to say that you shouldn't read books dealing with mindset. It's to say that you shouldn't read books as a substitute for action. Generally, a book is most useful when you're currently doing stuff & you read a book to learn how to do it better.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'm working towards my freedom and success, but I feel like my inner self constantly gets in the way. I constantly feel like I'm not good enough. I often find myself thinking whatever I'm doing is pointless because I will never succeed. This drains my confidence, and ultimately, my motivation.

I know you should focus on action, but before action, should you first focus on your mindset? If so, what are some good books to read? I don't want to caught in the cycle of self-help book after self-help book without actually doing anything, but I think I need this to start. Did you start with your mindset?

Some books I've been thinking of reading are The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, Psycho-Cybernetics, and NLP books.

Start something.

Create a progress thread on this forum.

"@" me when you do. I'll hop in and help you out wherever I can. Others here will as well.

The easiest way to gain confidence is through getting started and accumulating those small wins that eventually will add up to a big win.

fastattack03

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 15, 2013
Find your smallest, quickest win and get momentum from that. Celebrate it. Allow yourself to feel good - this is important because you'll get more motivated by associating positive emotions with progress by doing work, thus you work more. (If you want to learn more about this, search for Tony Robbin's video about beliefs - action - result - potential topic, forgot exactly what he called it but it entirely changed my thought process)

Success is like pushing a car by hand. It's really hard in the beginning but once you get momentum, pushing gets easier and easier.

Build confidence from your quick wins. Ask yourself, what's your 80/20? What's that one task that could make a huge impact for you? For a lot of beginners, it should be your first sale. there's a saying that the hardest part is the first sale which is true. Do whatever it takes to make that ONE sale. And everything changes from there.

All the limiting beliefs will be shattered. You'll immediately fell "F*CK, I CAN ACTUALLY DO THIS. How can I make the second sale? How can I make 10 sales in the next 3 days?" You basically get to the next level. It's fun and exciting (well, at least for me) and it should be your ultimate focus right now.

Obviously, I'm speaking from experience. Whenever I get demotivated, like there's really nothing going on with my business and life, I always think of that smallest win.

Reading is good for improving self-awareness and fundamental knowledge but it's nothing compared to your smallest win (your first sale or whatever it is your working on)

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013

It's counter intuitive but what everyone is saying is exactly right.
You don't build your ability to take action by building your confidence.
You build your confidence by taking action and celebrating your progress and your wins.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.