The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I work on building a community in college?

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I love marketing and psychology. I've done 2 small experiments such as applying a persuasion technique I learned in a book on students and teachers to get what I want, one of them which helped me gain the special favor of the chairman and hold special Computer Science final exams for me without any connections.

I'm now thinking, why not build a community of aspiring computer science developers by leveraging my extrovert nature, charisma and be a cult leader? I'm an ENTJ-A and recently, I'm taking an interest in assuming leadership positions. My extroverted nature can make up for their introverted nature, something like Steve Jobs and Wozniak relationship.I can bring in the clients and projects, and they can deliver.

This also means I'm going to be getting into politics and that is something I want to avoid. So for that, I'm thinking of building a developer community independent of university legislation. The whole reason I want to build a community independent of the societies and fraternities is because I want CONTROL. But it would be harder this way than if I were to build it under an umbrella of a uni sponsored society.

I can use uni to refine my leadership skills for the future and build a loyal audience that I can leverage. I intend to use uni as a playground for my social experiments.

Anyone who has done something like this before? Is it a good idea to invest in building a community of aspiring developers who will become software engineers in the future? I mean, they obviously will leave the community once they get good jobs. Or am I missing a key?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jérémy de HelpIn

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jan 17, 2023
I don't think you should see it as a cult leader kind of thing.

But a community is usually one (or several leaders) providing value by organising events, allowing people to meet and build connections, work on projects etc..

I had a small community of friends in High-School. I was the social motor of the group (organising events, lunch gatherings etc..). I provided value to them and guess what ? When I started my business and needed help, they helped me without asking anything in return.

Now, don't do it for the ego-trip, the "manipulating" people. Do it from a value giving perspective. Don't do it expecting something in return, people will feel it. But it may very well happen.

Give and you shall receive.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I don't think you should see it as a cult leader kind of thing.

But a community is usually one (or several leaders) providing value by organising events, allowing people to meet and build connections, work on projects etc..

I had a small community of friends in High-School. I was the social motor of the group (organising events, lunch gatherings etc..). I provided value to them and guess what ? When I started my business and needed help, they helped me without asking anything in return.

Now, don't do it for the ego-trip, the "manipulating" people. Do it from a value giving perspective. Don't do it expecting something in return, people will feel it. But it may very well happen.

Give and you shall receive.
I guess I have become desensitized to the word manipulation. It has a negative connotation. I need to be aware of that haha.

I have already provided them enough value by bringing in AI and IT experts from overseas into the group. I'll also be making efforts to get the chairman to donate coursera accounts to this small community.

I have made more effort for them than the entire faculty in our 1st semester haha. Once I get the ball rolling, I'll market this community as one of those "hard to get in" communities so only and only creme of the crop of the uni peers joins the group. And the current community members will be the ones running the show 3 months down the road. I just need to take the initiative with some execution prowess.

And no, I'm not expecting anything in return. I hope they find high paying jobs in FAANG companies and help me become aware of the CENTS opportunities in the emerging technologies.

Forget everything I was saying in my first post. I was riding on a high horse and stroking my ego.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Build a community college. Then you'll own the whole community and hold political influence. :cool:

Funky Monkey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 3, 2022
I love marketing and psychology. I've done 2 small experiments such as applying a persuasion technique I learned in a book on students and teachers to get what I want, one of them which helped me gain the special favor of the chairman and hold special Computer Science final exams for me without any connections.

I'm now thinking, why not build a community of aspiring computer science developers by leveraging my extrovert nature, charisma and be a cult leader? I'm an ENTJ-A and recently, I'm taking an interest in assuming leadership positions. My extroverted nature can make up for their introverted nature, something like Steve Jobs and Wozniak relationship.I can bring in the clients and projects, and they can deliver.

This also means I'm going to be getting into politics and that is something I want to avoid. So for that, I'm thinking of building a developer community independent of university legislation. The whole reason I want to build a community independent of the societies and fraternities is because I want CONTROL. But it would be harder this way than if I were to build it under an umbrella of a uni sponsored society.

I can use uni to refine my leadership skills for the future and build a loyal audience that I can leverage. I intend to use uni as a playground for my social experiments.

Anyone who has done something like this before? Is it a good idea to invest in building a community of aspiring developers who will become software engineers in the future? I mean, they obviously will leave the community once they get good jobs. Or am I missing a key?
You can build a community but then I would ask why? Are you trying to get good community building? Trying to get good at leadership? (Which is fine if you want to) but otherwise I would

try to build a true fastlane and be friendly with others. That way if you need techinical expertise you can get it or use professors to network with people (I actaully don't plan on going to college but what I heard from the mom test is that professors get funding for research by higher ups like business owners so you can use that validation/feedback or getting funding if needed)
or
use the time to get deeply intrenched in a higher barrier to entry field (probably STEM thats in market) and use it to discover ideas to build businesses off of.
Best of luck to you!

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Then you'll own the whole community and hold political influence. :cool:
Power, money and influence. That prettty much sums up my motives.

You can build a community but then I would ask why?
I went into a pitching bootcamp last month and pitched the idea of an EdTech startup. I realized that it would be cheaper to build the platform using the uni's students. So I started my research.

I found zero students who had the technical expertise. Nada. Zilch.

F*ck that. So I decided that I'll work on creating this community first, so when I need to bootstrap a tech startup, I have the skilled human resources. Doesn't mean I'm not willing to hire experienced folks.

I was studying how the blockchain works two days ago, and I stumbled on a few CENTS ideas. Will be sharing them in INSIDERS.

Now who will execute the idea and build a blockchain system with its own consensus mechanism? If I set out to do it myself, it will take me 2 years to build an MVP lol. I can't afford to waste that much time.

Secondly, I want these students who are genuinely interested to not to give up on their ambition. I can stay motivated most of the time, but the uni will beat their ambition out of them. We're in 2nd semester so we haven't seen the storm.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I'm studying AI and I'm interested in taking advantage of the opportunities the emerging technologies will be bringing.

I want some guys who I can assemble in a team later. But these guys are beginners for now.

I will help them get good jobs if that's what they want. Or I'll hook them on the vision of building one of the most profitable companies in the Emerging Tech space (which I'm myself hooked on)

Also @Kak's podcasts made me realize that leadership is important. That's why I'm honing my leadership skills as well

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.