The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I temporary accept the SCRIPT?

C-14

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Aug 23, 2020
U.S
Hello everyone, I hope everything is going well.

I finally decided to ask this question because I am very uncertain of what to do.
I am a 14 year old freshmen, I read Unscripted and the millionaire Fastlane. I would love to apply all of the stuff ASAP, But keeping up with school (SCRIPT environment) and sports(that I do not watch) makes it nearly impossible. I had an idea to start a mini business a few weeks ago with school( to take some sort of action) I would be providing value to my classmates by doing their homework. And by doing so I would be rewarded with value-vouchers. However that would drain my time ( I know I'm making excuses) But I took action and determined that it wasn't worth it. I had another idea but I'm not here to talk about my ideas. I want to know your thoughts and opinions

Should I accept the SCRIPT for another 4 years until I graduate high school. And the Moment I leave high school start applying everything that I read in the books, and hustle like a maniac? Or should I look for some ways that I could apply some of the concepts I learned right now?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Should I accept the SCRIPT for another 4 years until I graduate high school. And the Moment I leave high school start applying everything that I read in the books, and hustle like a maniac? Or should I look for some ways that I could apply some of the concepts I learned right now?
You should absolutely NOT wait until you've graduated to gain entrepreneurial experience — and if you truly want the experience, should be doing absolutely anything you can with the time + energy allotted to you. Also keep in mind that it's not hard — you can get started in the smallest, simplest ways. Pick the lowest hanging fruit and run with it.

Be careful with that "I should wait until ___ before starting" thinking.
It's a slippery slope; sooner than later, that "wait until graduation" will turn into...

"Wait until I get my degree..."
"Wait until I get 'job experience'..."
"Wait until I have enough money..."
"Wait until...Never."

I started hustling at 16, doing freelance work (Graphic Design at the time), and reading more business books in class time than doing actual assignments. By 20 I started my first 'real' business that paid the bills. By 22 I had built up staff and sold that company for a small fortune. Not millions, mind you, but enough to take a break & figure out the next adventure.

You don't have to be as extreme as I was, but realize that experience compounds over time.
It started as soon as I decided "this is what I want, and to hell with everything else."

Don't underestimate the seeds you plant today.
You can do it. Today. Don't be your own prisoner.

Good Luck!

D

Deleted50669

Opinions will differ on this, but having a job at 14 is not a bad thing. The reason I say that is it will teach you customer service and problem solving. It would be wise to study how entrepreneurship works at a process level, while making some money for yourself on the side. You will go insane if you cut out fun things entirely, try to find a balance that allows you to make progress while occasionally enjoying your social life.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Opinions will differ on this, but having a job at 14 is not a bad thing.
This is actually one thing I'd change, too. I didn't get a job in high school and it made me lazier. Working would've probably given me lessons I'd have to learn the hard way later.

Last edited by a moderator:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Bro you can do both. Finishing high-school isn't "accepting the script". You want to have a base knowledge of how to write well, reading comprehension, basic history etc etc., it's not going to do you any good to start freelancing and writing an email that sounds like you are 14 when you are 18. Those skills are useful.

Nothing prevents you to start stuff or learn stuff that interests you in your free time. Like Mike said, get books and start reading on stuff you like. You like video games? Maybe you'd like to program some. Or maybe you like the art. Or maybe you like engineering things and making gadgets. Or maybe you like woodworking and you start making awesome center pieces that the whole neighborhood wants. Finish high school and start building on your free time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Finishing high-school isn't "accepting the script".

Amen.

Just a point here...

You can disavow the Script and still finish school, even go to college.
You can disavow the Script and still get a job.

Everything becomes a means to an end if your head is on straight.

I went to college knowing full well I wasn't going to get a job, I was tweaking my skills for being a business owner.

Welcome to the forum!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Wow 14, enjoy life kiddo, it runs by quick.

You are richer than most people on this forum. Maybe one day you'll understand why.. :cool:

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
At 14, it'd be hard to take the first steps without parental help... like, you can't form a legal business entity, register a domain, or join a freelancing website to get started.

Right now, it's important that you both do well in school and start looking into skills that you could leverage for future fastlane endeavors. If you do well in school, you can go to college for free or nearly free (especially if parents can help just a little). College has the possibility to afford a lot more free time to focus on your business pursuits as opposed to working a full time job, and it also puts you in a healthy growth environment surrounded by your peers. It can save you a lot of time by not having to worry about the little things (like cleaning dishes after you eat, just place it on the conveyor belt and go), everything is within walking distance, etc. Everyone has a different opinion on whether it's worth it but if you get a good deal, it's hard to beat... go to class for 2-3 hours per day and spend the rest focusing on yourself and your business.

Now, what you can do right now: I'd start by researching and developing a few skills that are always in demand and easy to get started in / self-teach. I'll make some book recommendations below that are generally accepted as good reads, and you'll want to make sure you've read both The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted first if you haven't already.

1) Copywriting

- Cashvertising
- Hey Whipple Squeeze This
- Read posts by Lex Devivlle

2) Sales

- How to Win Friends and Influence People
- Influence: the Psychology of Persuasion

3) Web Design

- Learn HTML, CSS, Javascript (frontend languages)
- Learn Wordpress, set up LocalWP on your computer (local dev environment) and start practicing developing. Really easy to start earning money developing Wordpress websites

4) Programming

- Understand the general path most developers take, what the different backend languages are, what they do, etc. (kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap)
- Python is generally accepted as a language that can be used for a ton of things, easy to learn, useful. Great way to get started
- Learn to code at home | freeCodeCamp.org
- faq - learnprogramming

Most importantly, enjoy your youth, it's ok to be surrounded by the script without swallowing the script's pill. Keep your fastlane aspirations close to your chest, realize that being unscripted is amindset and not where you are currently are in life.

And lastly, be sure to watch this by MJ himself:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_58zPgArb4

Last edited:

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I also joined this forum when I was 14. I'm 22 now. Just keep expanding your knowledge, working hard and become 1% better than you were yesterday. That'll get you very far, very fast.

Also surround yourself with good people. It'll be difficult when you are younger but from the age of 17/18 there is nothing stopping you from meeting up with successful business people of any age and befriending them.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
At your age my friend was selling Runescape Gold Coins and accounts to rich students making $1-2k a month.

And he was enjoying his time playing the game.

At your age, look at what your friends are really interested in, and try to sell them something in that topic

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Welcome, C-14!
Look at your calendar. You have about 16 hours a day.
Take 8 hours out from school, you still have 8 hours open. Block out several hours every day to work on an idea, AND work on building a skill.

Some things you can do:
• Learn Photoshop and Illustrator and design cool T-shirts that your classmates would buy
• Learn HTML / CSS on YouTube or Udemy and then build websites for people
• Learn to code. There is a lot of money in being a good developer.
• Learn how to Edit video and sell your services
• Learn how to edit podcasts and start a podcast editing service (right @Mike Partee?)

Get an adult to set you up with a Paypal or Venmo account.
I have a 16-year old son who produces music using Ableton. He just released his album on Spotify and Bandcamp.

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.