The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I (slightly) change my priorities?

Anything related to matters of the mind

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Hello!
Today I was talking to my music teacher and he told me about writing music for certain instruments that don't have many good pieces.
I could write sheets and sell them (10€-30€ each).
I could either go ham on entrepreneurism or write music.
Here are the pros (Music):
-I get better at composition (one of my main goals)
-I get better and earn a bit money while doing it
-I want to compete in composition competitions and composing daily would really not be bad.
-if I'd be able to sell a 100 copies each month that get me 10€ per copy, I'd basically get 1k each month (I need to get money first anyway so I can create a company which is required)

negatives:
-scalability lacking?
-In case my music would "blow" up, it'd still not do much (lol).
-perhaps others that I can't think of rn
-"do what you love". I could burn out from it, but I don't think so? (this point was added by an edit)

I just turned 16 freshly and so I have a good amount of time. I really feel inclined to pursue that path (though not forever, as you just can't really earn too much with music). I really want to learn and engrave music (theory) in my brain as much as possible since I am still young.

Perhaps this question might seem stupid, but I just don't really know what to do.
Perhaps you guys could help me clean up my mind?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
These are difficult questions, and nobody can answer them for you. That said, here's how I think about it:

I would wager that composition is generally not a very lucrative area (though I don't know for sure).

HOWEVER, your first half dozen or so ventures are going to fail anyway (statistically speaking).

What's important is that you build the mindset and skills you need to succeed, as quickly as possible. Composing and selling music is just as good as anything else, so you may as well start there. The critical thing is that you invest as much time as possible learning business centric, rather than music composition centric, skills. This means the practical reality of marketing and selling a product rather than music theory.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
These are difficult questions, and nobody can answer them for you. That said, here's how I think about it:

I would wager that composition is generally not a very lucrative area (though I don't know for sure).

HOWEVER, your first half dozen or so ventures are going to fail anyway (statistically speaking).

What's important is that you build the mindset and skills you need to succeed, as quickly as possible. Composing and selling music is just as good as anything else, so you may as well start there. The critical thing is that you invest as much time as possible learning business centric, rather than music composition centric, skills. This means the practical reality of marketing and selling a product rather than music theory.
Thank you!
I didn't think about the mindset part.
Also, like you've said, I'd learn business oriented things like marketing.

That makes the decision a lot lighter.
Thanks!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
556%
Apr 17, 2022
I don't think the all-or-nothing mindset will do you any good in this case. You can easily pursue both things and still have time for more activities. Don't make unnecessary sacrifices.

I really want to learn and engrave music (theory) in my brain as much as possible since I am still young.
^ This is real wisdom.
Do and learn as much as you can.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I don't think the all-or-nothing mindset will do you any good in this case. You can easily pursue both things and still have time for more activities. Don't make unnecessary sacrifices.
alright I gotchu.
^ This is real wisdom.
Do and learn as much as you can.
Now that you're saying it...
Thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.