The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I invest in my ecommerce business?

canesfan23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 13, 2018
Tavernier, FL
Hi my name is Katie and I'm so glad to be a part of this awesome community. I have a few questions to ask you all. I invested about $3000 more or less in a website with Emerchantclub, which is an affiliate of Smart Living Company a home decor and gift dropshipping company out of California. I have tried several different marketing techniques with various companies that I paid a lot for and none of them have materialized in sales in the six years I've had the site.

My question is should I spend more money and time investing in the store or should I walk away and pursue further knowledge in my three other passions: sewing, baking/cake decorating and dancing?

I currently don't have a job, because I have been spinning my wheels trying to find my way in entrepreneurship. I have enough money for next month's bills, but that's it. I have some interview offers for online english teaching positions, but I'm not sure if I should focus all my time on improving my skills or paying off debt and saving for my business?

Thank you all for any advice you might have. I really appreciate it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
If I had a general gift/merchandise website Katie, I'd steer it towards fund raising. For example, have a Church put on an event focused on you. It could be a one time special fund raiser for a new bus - new pews - new carpeting - etc. They have them all the time. Donate 12% to the Church of the proceeds. Wowser - built in customers right now. You'll make less, but you will probably get 50 or more customers at once.

Do the same thing for other organizations - having THEM as the beneficiary. Schools? Senior citizen centers? Clubs? Hospitals? Nursing Homes? Wedding Registry which will also donate money to the bride and groom? Think!

Just this ONE suggestion alone should keep you busy for the entire year. Set up a website that is attractive and LIST organizations that you support. You will get steady repeat business from Church members, etc. throughout the year that way.

My price for this super valuable advice? Did you mention cakes, as in chocolate cake with sour cream frosting? Hmmmm?

Good luck. Think outside the box. Don't follow the herd.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

canesfan23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 13, 2018
Tavernier, FL
Yes, you should walk away asap.

No, passions don't make money.

Read the book.

I thank you so much for your advice. I did read the book, but for some reason I'm having a hard time accepting the idea that passions don't make money. I know that I could be really excellent at them, but I know I might end up hating them once I do them for money.

I have decided though after reading the responses that I'm going to get a job working as an English Tutor to pay off my bills and save up money for my future business.

Thank you all so much your advice. I read another post on here about a young kid that's 17 and doesn't want to work, because he doesn't want to end up like a slowlaner. I hate to admit it, but I'm 28 and haven't seriously worked in years; because I dream of having a business someday. The only way to change my life is to get out of the recliner and get to work. This book and this forum has really opened up my eyes to my mistakes. Thank you.

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
I thank you so much for your advice. I did read the book, but for some reason I'm having a hard time accepting the idea that passions don't make money. I know that I could be really excellent at them, but I know I might end up hating them once I do them for money.

I have decided though after reading the responses that I'm going to get a job working as an English Tutor to pay off my bills and save up money for my future business.

Thank you all so much your advice. I read another post on here about a young kid that's 17 and doesn't want to work, because he doesn't want to end up like a slowlaner. I hate to admit it, but I'm 28 and haven't seriously worked in years; because I dream of having a business someday. The only way to change my life is to get out of the recliner and get to work. This book and this forum has really opened up my eyes to my mistakes. Thank you.
Why have you kept the site up and running for 6-years if you haven't pulled a single sale? It sounds like your site doesn't have any value-add. Buying one of those pre-built ecommerce sites that comes with suppliers, and everything already setup is actually a terrible idea, from a value-add and SEO standpoint.

canesfan23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 13, 2018
Tavernier, FL
Why have you kept the site up and running for 6-years if you haven't pulled a single sale? It sounds like your site doesn't have any value-add. Buying one of those pre-built ecommerce sites that comes with suppliers, and everything already setup is actually a terrible idea, from a value-add and SEO standpoint.
I kept on investing in it hoping that the sales would come, but they never did. It's my first business venture and I didn't want to accept that it was a failure.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Didn't expect that reply. Nice attitude! I you keep that up, you'll make it :smile2:. Stick around here, there's a lot of good content that will help you out.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
I kept on investing in it hoping that the sales would come, but they never did. It's my first business venture and I didn't want to accept that it was a failure.

CyuBHtCUcAAd2mE.jpg

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Aw - come on.

MJ started his limo site and built it up. Sold it, and bought it back again after it withered away, and built it up AGAIN.

I think just about any business can be successful, if you figure out how to position it. And, likewise, just about any business can be driven into the dirt.

I remember many years ago, listening to an inventor on the Johnny Carson show. That guy said that they sold 10,000 mouse traps. A. Day. There you go. Changed my perspective on life right then and there. I think that was 35 or more years ago. I remember things like that. I wonder how many people heard the same thing and it did not affect them beyond a simple "wow" and then they forgot it. I wonder how many of them took that knowledge and did something with it?

Remember - where there's a will, there's greedy relatives - no wait... wrong phrase...

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY

Passions do make money, provided the market is willing to pay for it. In your case there were no results after 6 years. Have you done any analysis as to why market didn't respond to your various efforts? From your first post (a home decor and gift dropshipping company), that could probably be the reason why. If you read the Gold threads here you will see that a lot of people here are sourcing/manufacturing their own products, creating their own brands and marketing them on Amazon/own e-commerce stores. Not only are their products unique and fulfill the unmet needs of the market, they can also be delivered and reach customers' hands within days. These are some of the things that a dropshipping company cannot do.

If you are still passionate to do this perhaps you should put your time, money and energy into researching the market and look for/develop products that could be improved.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.